Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Please cite that case where the IRS executed someone by blowing their brains out for not paying taxes...
Has someone been drinking too much of the Ben Shapiro cool-aide?

That republicans deny climate change, are obsessed with the 2nd amendment but don't give a crap about any other amendment, that they pretend to be representing working Americans while screwing them over, that they're usually anti-abortion like they "care so much about life", but then don't give a crap about keeping them alive after birth when it comes to funding healthcare.
Not secular enough.

That democrats are often liberal about immigration (I mean **** learn from our mistakes across the pond already), identity politics, relying on minorities and pandering to them...
Not secular enough.

Not sure where I fit in on the american spectrum, probably left when it comes to funding healthcare and education, being Pro abortions and gun-control
Right when it comes to immigration, free speech and allergy towards the identity crap.
I'm guessing this pouts me somewhere center left?
It's pretty hard-right by Swedish standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
So you have had a gun put to your head?

Are you being obstuse?

IRS can send in police force, people with big guns, to put you in prison. They can also confiscate your property for failing to pay taxes. Do you not understand what confiscation means?

Please name one Democrat's policy that doesn't require putting people under the barrel.

Minimum wage, for example? That's just forcing every employer at the gunpoint to pay above fair market wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Democrats

They drive me crazy with things like free tuition, and $15/hr minimum wage. The minimum wage should be increased but not to 15/hr.

Because $15/hour would be crazy?

Quote:

Republicans

They drive me crazy with their unwillingness to pass ANY type of common sense gun legislation. The hypocrisy of always talking about pulling yourself up and being for the middle class yet consistently offering policies that benefit the top 5%.
What common sense gun laws? Everything that can be illegal about guns already illegal. Please name a few.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:24 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Then why don't Democrats stop making it so easy to be dismissed by focusing on the issues that undeniably affect us all? That way, Republicans would have to actually come up with a logical reason they don't want to work with them on those issues.

This is why the left lost so badly in 2016. They won't adapt their strategy, they'd rather just focus on increasing the volume.
3 million more people voted for "the left" in 2016 than for "the right "

why the left lost the presidency has nothing to do with this.

the left gained in house, senate, state house, state senate seats .

Old 05-30-2017, 08:36 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Because $15/hour would be crazy?
Yes $15 per hour is not realistic. No one working at a fast food restaurant, or amusement park etc should make 31k per year.

What common sense gun laws? Everything that can be illegal about guns already illegal. Please name a few.
How about not letting folks with mental health issues have access to guns, not allowing guns in bars, universal background check , more stringent rules about the sale of guns at gun shows.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:39 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Let me break out my broadest brush:

Republicans - Agressively Stupid
Democrats - Agressively Stupid

Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 AM

3,331 posts, read 2,136,915 times
Various forms of dogmatism is the problem on both sides. The fact of the matter is that no society ever failed because it became too reasonable, and we're moving away from anything resembling reasonableness with afterburners. Social discourse has become utterly reactionary and this has facilitated the rise and control by those who would otherwise be construed as members of fringe sects. And the clear-as-day result is that we've collectively normalized intellectually untenable ideas.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
How about not letting folks with mental health issues have access to guns, not allowing guns in bars, universal background check , more stringent rules about the sale of guns at gun shows.
These are already done except for universal background check.

As for universal background check, it has two issues.

1. It's stupid. Why do we let people, who can't be allowed to access firearms, have free access to trucks, cars, explosives, gasoline, knives etc. if they are deemed so dangerous, why not keep them in prison or hospitals? We know who they are and they are dangerous.

2. Obama team said clearly that without universal registration, the universal background check doesn't work.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Republican party - All the stupid religious and morality nonsense that is completely hypocritical to being an actual fiscal conservative. Abortions save millions upon millions of dollars, but the Republican party has a problem with them because of make believe nonsense that my 7 year old can see through. I mean seriously, if the Republican party hates all these poor people on welfare that practically multiply when you add water to them, then why not support something that helps eliminate the problem before it even starts? Abortions are the equivalent of smashing wasp larvae before they ever get a chance to become pests. It makes no sense at all as a fiscal conservative to not be on board with them. Another one would be the war on drugs. While I get not legalizing stuff like meth or heroine is a no brainer, putting people in jail for drugs is nonsense. What a huge waste of money and resources. Hey, let's keep people in cages for years on end with the tax payers money to prevent them from doing something that not only can't be controlled but also can be taxed in some cases (weed)....... Derp

Democratic party- A large portion of the party is nothing more than a bunch of crybaby losers that can't handle ANYTHING. This is a party that will disenfranchise millions upon millions of people just to cater to some tiny minority that is painted as a victim. This is a party that's willing to let teenage boys that claim to identify more as being chicks into a girls locker room, while still beating the war drums about creepy men constantly sexually assaulting women. This is a party that will cater to one of the most conservative religions on earth because they see the culture as more of an underdog than the gender it discriminates against. Yay, let's empower women, but let this culture that treats them like dirt off the hook because they're also victims....what? The constant race baiting, political correctness, and complete disrespect for law and order within the modern Democratic party is pathetic.
Unlike the others, I think you are off base. (Good post though, and mostly valid observations)

BOTH parties bother me because they don't have the interest of the American people in mind, and because NEITHER of their actions supports what they say the stand for.

Your abortion example is a good one, but I think there are bigger problems. It is probably symptomatic of both parties' tendency to get tunnel vision on an issue, and lose sight of the big picture.

Your portrayal of Democratic Party is also off base. Both sides are crybabies, and can't seem to understand the art of compromise. My biggest issue with the Democrats is that I think they do tend to have a holier than though mentality. While I think much of what they say about Republicans is true, I also think they fail to see the same problems in themselves.

In the end-analysis, I think people who vote for Trump and others like him have less love for what America REALLY stands for. Or better stated, what our forefathers stand for. But to be fair, neither party is hitting on much. Everyone has their opinion, and even though I may disagree with some, their opinion is still valid.

I fear the days of getting anything good done are long gone.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:35 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The truth hurts huh?

What did I say that was wrong?
Your assessment is a talking point of the democrats.

You are a democrat, it is obvious by your kid gloves approach to the democrats and the talking point description of the republicans.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
LAck of honesty.

I don't believe for a minute that all Trump voters really are happy with most of what has happened so far. But they would never admit it and demand more from their politicians because it would be perceived as not being a true conservative.

Same with Democrats and Obama.

It's okay for us to lean a little left or right or leans lots one way or the other and still not agree with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies