Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times

Advertisements

What is this silliness. these are trivial events in a big city. I am NYC born and went to college in NYC. I am comfortable there. For some years I ran an operations in North London out of LA. Spent a week a month in London. Have a sister who lives in the suburbs north of London.

There is nothing that has happened here that would scare a Londoner or a New Yorker.

Stuff happens...ugly some time. But this does not nearly rise to earlier occasions.

Life goes on.

And you examine the statistics. London is vastly safer than LA or Chicago or DC.

While in the world would they panic?

And I would also point out that the terrrorists got taken on by a copper with his truncheon and by the pub people with chairs and pints and bottles. Does not sound to me the in the least effeminate. And some of the gals apparently jumped in too.

And that is the right answer. We cannot stop you from despicable action. But we will not cooperate and we will stop you one way or the other.

Enforce consistently and the problem will be slight. May never go away. But it will not be a factor you consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 06:05 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London has just over 100 murders a year on average, which is a lot safer than most cities with a population of 8.7 million.

Crime statistics for 2016 to 2017 - Metropolitan Police

Domestic Violence accounts for a significant proportion of murders, indeed far more than terrorism.

As for US Cities, there were 760 murders in Chicago alone, which is far more than the 574 murders in the entire UK, which has a population of nearly 65 million.
consider the murders in America atr found in clusters, not evenly distributed across the country.

that should be a big clue to solving and preventing those crimes but our legislators have another agenda.

terrorism cannot be compared to murders in th US as the murders are predictable and discriminite for the most part, whereas acts of terrorism are random and intednded to be indiscriminate. the two forms of violence cannot be compared.

You can stay away from bad parts of chicago and be safe but no part of London can be considered safe.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
consider the murders in America atr found in clusters, not evenly distributed across the country.

that should be a big clue to solving and preventing those crimes but our legislators have another agenda.

terrorism cannot be compared to murders in th US as the murders are predictable and discriminite for the most part, whereas acts of terrorism are random and intednded to be indiscriminate. the two forms of violence cannot be compared.

You can stay away from bad parts of chicago and be safe but no part of London can be considered safe.
You still lose. Murders in London are very much domestic. Almost impossible to get killed on the street randomly including terrorism. Not true in the US. We lose a few every year on the Strip with perhaps close to the tightest policing anywhere.

You folk need to give it up. The Mayor is correct. With the presence of Islamic terrorists it is still safer to pub crawl in London than in any major US city.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:14 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
As far as I'm concerned you Americans can keep your stupid gun culture....It helps to thin the herd....

A Tennessee teen was allegedly admiring a gun he received for graduation when he accidentally shot and killed his girlfriend. Teen gets gun as graduation gift, accidentally kills his girlfriend | New York Post

Old 06-04-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
As far as I'm concerned you Americans can keep your stupid gun culture....It helps to thin the herd....

A Tennessee teen was allegedly admiring a gun he received for graduation when he accidentally shot and killed his girlfriend. Teen gets gun as graduation gift, accidentally kills his girlfriend | New York Post
Does not compute. A gift fire arm being examined is never loaded.

There is virtually no way that can be an accident. If they presented the gun to him loaded the presenter is guilty of manslaughter. If the kid loaded it he is.

This is not a forgive and forget offense. It is criminal negligence.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:25 PM

31,073 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Is it any different than the propaganda used to control the population of the USA?
You mean the Constitution. There's a reason Muslims come to the US in droves. Islamic society sucks, even to them.

Even the most moderate Islamic societies suck and are getting worse:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...larm/22123375/

Old 06-04-2017, 09:44 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You still lose. Murders in London are very much domestic. Almost impossible to get killed on the street randomly including terrorism. Not true in the US. We lose a few every year on the Strip with perhaps close to the tightest policing anywhere.

You folk need to give it up. The Mayor is correct. With the presence of Islamic terrorists it is still safer to pub crawl in London than in any major US city.
And you think it will end now??? At what point do you people think ISIS is an actual threat? These attacks are going to keep escalating until they put a halt on taking in refugees. How you can't put two and two together baffles me!

Old 06-04-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
And you think it will end now??? At what point do you people think ISIS is an actual threat? These attacks are going to keep escalating until they put a halt on taking in refugees. How you can't put two and two together baffles me!
Maybe your problem is that you cannot figure out there are virtually no refugees in England and that none of the terrorists have been refugees?

Old 06-04-2017, 10:36 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London has just over 100 murders a year on average, which is a lot safer than most cities with a population of 8.7 million.

Crime statistics for 2016 to 2017 - Metropolitan Police

Domestic Violence accounts for a significant proportion of murders, indeed far more than terrorism.

As for US Cities, there were 760 murders in Chicago alone, which is far more than the 574 murders in the entire UK, which has a population of nearly 65 million.
Yes, exactly.

Theses terrorist attacks are horrible and tragic, but even so, London is a remarkably safe city.

What's to stop someone in a US city from crashing their car into pedestrians and jumping out with a knife and going on a murderous rampage? I mean, sadly, this is not a high-tech crime that intelligence officials can easily intercept. It's very upsetting.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:53 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, before this era, they had the IRA (Irish Republican Army) blowing people up. It wasn't safe then.

This Islamic terrorism over there probably has little to do with the EU--Britain allowed Pakistanis and others from any country that had belonged to their commonwealth to freely immigrate. Went on for decades and now is coming home to roost. Too many, too fast, didn't assimilate very well.

I think London is still pretty safe. They don't have citizens running around with guns, shooting people like we do over here, making OUR cities so unsafe. It was the IRA before, now it's mostly the second generation of Muslims.
I'll have to research the figure, and I might be wrong, but I heard recently that the IRA actually ranks as one of the deadliest terrorist organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies