Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 01:32 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It doesnt matter if Arby's employs more people. Everyone knows coal is a dying industry, its been fading out for years, but its not dead yet so for those still in coal country who have been working in coal most of their lives its a move in the right direction. You seem to be the only one who believed Trump was going to get back all the lost coal jobs that would last for a hundred years. Trump is doing away with the over regulation that cost jobs in the coal industry. I don't see the lie.
the Lie is he said he was going t bring all the coal jobs back- he put 400 back to work, hardly the same thing...and they voted for him en masse, to gut their social safety net, defund their schools, and put their taxes dollars to work to give billionaires a cut, all for 400 jobs is my point...these people honestly believed the lies Trump told about coal; and he run on a platform of bringing back 400 jobs I somehow doubt he would have carried WV with quite the same margin of victory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 02:02 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
[quote=Metsfan53;48400104]
Quote:
the Lie is he said he was going t bring all the coal jobs back- he put 400 back to work, hardly the same thing..
Yeah, I dont think he said he was going to bring all the coal jobs back. He promised to revive the coal industry, get people back to work.

Quote:
and they voted for him en masse, to gut their social safety net, defund their schools, and put their taxes dollars to work to give billionaires a cut, all for 400 jobs is my point...these people honestly believed the lies Trump told about coal; and he run on a platform of bringing back 400 jobs I somehow doubt he would have carried WV with quite the same margin of victory.
And he has not gutted any safety net nor de-funded schools nor given billionaires a cut. Furthermore I'm sure most people vote more broad reasons than thinking they will get their job back. That was not the entire platform nor the only concern voters had.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:16 PM

[quote=2mares;48400460]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Yeah, I dont think he said he was going to bring all the coal jobs back. He promised to revive the coal industry, get people back to work.

And he has not gutted any safety net nor de-funded schools nor given billionaires a cut. Furthermore I'm sure most people vote more broad reasons than thinking they will get their job back. That was not the entire platform nor the only concern voters had.

um 400 =/= revive the coal industry
the below quote form a CNBC article, he might not have explicitly said "we'll bring every job back", but his rhetoric here clearly implies he would be reviving coal:

"That is what this is all about: bringing back our jobs, bringing back our dreams and making America wealthy again," Trump said.

The miners "told me about the efforts to shut down their mines, their communities and their very way of life. I made them this promise: We will put our miners back to work,"

As for "not cutting the social safety net: His massive proposed cuts to medicaid do exactly that, esp in coal country, esp in WV, it decimates the safety net. Defending public schools and giving an out of work family 5K voucher for a 10K school does just that. You might also want to check out his "tax proposal" if you can call it that, which gave the overwhelming majority of benefits to the uber wealthy....

Old 06-05-2017, 02:20 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
[quote=Metsfan53;48400634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

um 400 =/= revive the coal industry
the below quote form a CNBC article, he might not have explicitly said "we'll bring every job back", but his rhetoric here clearly implies he would be reviving coal:

"That is what this is all about: bringing back our jobs, bringing back our dreams and making America wealthy again," Trump said.

The miners "told me about the efforts to shut down their mines, their communities and their very way of life. I made them this promise: We will put our miners back to work,"

As for "not cutting the social safety net: His massive proposed cuts to medicaid do exactly that, esp in coal country, esp in WV, it decimates the safety net. Defending public schools and giving an out of work family 5K voucher for a 10K school does just that. You might also want to check out his "tax proposal" if you can call it that, which gave the overwhelming majority of benefits to the uber wealthy....
Yep so he didnt say he would bring back all the jobs but revive the industry which he is doing according to numbers and articles I have read.

implies. proposed.
There have been no cuts to medicaid.
Nothing has changed in the school systems.
What benefits did the PROPOSAL give the wealthy?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:29 PM

[quote=2mares;48400677]
Quote:

Yep so he didnt say he would bring back all the jobs but revive the industry which he is doing according to numbers and articles I have read.

implies. proposed.
1) 400 jobs =/= rive an industry...Walmart probably hired that many people in my county this month so far, that's not even a blimp on the radar of a rounding error, but continue to be impressed by his "accomplishments".

2) you do realize governing is doing by first proposing a plan then passing legislation through right? It's not just sneak attacks in the middle of the night... Granted through Trump's inept ways and lack of any actual policy agenda he's not gotten much accomplished; however astroturfing Ryan's plans or proposing his own worse "framework" has shown nothing but direct opposition to the very ideals you seem to think he embodies or that he campaigned on. Ramming a bill that will thrown 23MM people off of health insurance and will gut Medicaid by 1 trillion will definitely help the poor in coal country, right?

3) you may want to read up on Betsy Devos- while Trump's team hasn't gotten around to schools yet, wait. Handing an out of work coal miner a 5K voucher for a 10K school isn't really going to do much good...

what I find amazing is that every policy Trump has pursued since coming into office has been in the vain of massively redistributing wealth and benefits to the rich, held back only bus his administrations incompetence....but somehow you want to give him credit for helping the little guy b/c he may or may not have somehow had a hand in helping to bring back 400 coal jobs....

Old 06-05-2017, 02:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The days of buying products manufactured in the United States are over and are never coming back. Middle America needs to quit waiting for the good old days to return and teach their kids the value of a good education. The days of multiple generations living in Rust Belt towns and working at the same factory as their grandfather are gone for good.
Yeah, we can have 30 million engineer's not being able to ever afford to replay their loans as being an engineer would no longer pay much since there was so many.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yeah, we can have 30 million engineer's not being able to ever afford to replay their loans as being an engineer would no longer pay much since there was so many.
wonderful false dichotomy you/ve created there.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, if they could get it together?

I live in one of those blue wall states and the moderate Democrats who've voted Democrat most of their lives are p*ssed at the constant attacks on Trump. And do you think calling these people uneducated, racist etc is working in your favor? LOL you got alot of straightening up to do.
Yeah? How do you think Obama voters felt? Same.

Difference IS - Trump is responsible for 99% of his bad press. He went to DC apparently to make an enemy of everyone including our allies.

It reflects in his press coverage.

Oh well.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
wonderful false dichotomy you/ve created there.
Facts are facts........people are supposed to get an education to do what? We are at 300 million soon. They are going to get an education to do what?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
[quote=2mares;48400677]
Quote:

implies. proposed.
He certainly said he was bringing back coal and NO, he has not.

With regard to the latter, I guess we can take solace in the fact that Trump is completely ineffective and unable to get anthing passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies