Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Exactly right. I participate in a number of forums and comment sections and it is clear that Democrats have not learned from their 2016 thrashing. Not even close. Looking down their nose at people who simply want a job and economic security is not a viable political strategy, but they haven't figure that out yet.

And let's not forget that they just hired Tom Perez - a guy who has never won an election - to guide them back to winning elections again. How stupid can a party be? We are witnessing it now.
Who were they supposed to hire? Karl Rove???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
As long as they are the anti-White man party, this won't be happening.
I'm white, and don't feel that my party hates me, so next.....

Old 06-08-2017, 02:41 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
Truth you write! Unadorned.

I know how disappointing it is to see ones political beliefs, identity and security blanket all vaporize so unexpectedly. The further truth is conservatives have been harping on the whole identity slicing and dicing for a decade.

Time to face reality. After all Reality Winner had to accept reality today when she was indicted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
The NYT piece discusses every same issue that has been discussed numerous times on this site. Conservatives have been telling liberals why Hillary lost, here on C-D, for six months now. And liberals have been calling us racists, misogynists, and uneducated poor white trash in response, for six months now.

A) Insulting those who voted for Trump and B) hoping that Trump implodes, is not a wining strategy for either the mid-terms or the next general election. But to this point those are the only two strategies I have seen in play by the D Party.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:54 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
I am perplexed by this whole 'obstruction' thing. I get what is being said.

However, being one who doesn't want or believe in the federal government protections, I opposed the runaway regulations issuance over the past eight years. As a private citizen I wore out my Congress Representative and two Senators out on this topic.

Firmly believing that most, not all, but most people have their own good or ill health in their own hands. Being one that does not think the federal government should have a major role in in the health insurance marketplace I took similar action with my elected officials. I opposed the ppaca.

Since the various 'climate accords' are strictly voluntary for the signees I opposed regulations that would penalize our economy, knowing that the Chinese and other emerging markets will not meet their voluntary targets. I pressed the same elected officials to opposed the agreements.

If that is obstructing, so be it. I think not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
To be fair, they are only copying what the Repubs did under Obama. Seemed to work for them.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:56 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And how do they do that without alienating the patchwork of fringe groups that now make up their base? Even within this patchwork you have competing factions, working class blacks and illegal immigration supporters for example.
In my opinion it's time for a new base. The Republicans have made it very clear they will never support those that are currently in the Democrat's fringe base so where else are they going to turn?

They'll either not vote or vote for the lesser of two evils which, to them, will always​ be Democrats. The Dems have plenty of leeway to cater to Middle America. The question is whether or not they have the cajones to do it. If they can pull that off you won't see a Republican anywhere near the White House for generations.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:41 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Hillary doesn't seem to have gotten this message. She's acting like she's gonna try it again in 2020.

HC is *NOT* going to run for POTUS again; nope, won't happen, end of discussion.

First time she lost to an African-American man, the second to a total political naïf with massive megalomania issues and a healthy dose of delusions of grandeur.

If the DNC had saw sense back in 2016 they would have reigned in those sharp elbows that pushed other more sensible candidates aside and allowed the Anointed Clintons to assume what many saw as their rightful place. And again, look how that worked out.

Should my theories prove incorrect, and the DNC can do no better than the Clinton woman for the next POTUS election, then yes, it is true, that party is done.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:55 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
One can note.......the (R)'s in the political picture lost the White House and lost ground in the Senate.

My previous comments not withstanding, the GOP does have issues. You can see this in how despite now controlling three branches of government they are no more successful in governing now than when Obama was president.

Simply put the GOP is breaking into basically two camps; progressive and conservatives. Or more simply put canky old white men & their wives versus younger people with a much different view of the world.

DT being elected was the "great white hope" and last gasp of the conservative, cranky white persons and religious right. They are hoping and praying the next four years will see changes pushed through that will cement their views of how America should be regardless of subsequent occupants of the WH.

Should this not happen, and or things otherwise do not go according to plans then that is it; game will be largely over. Again demographics are simply not on the conservative/GOP side. Their core base is aging and dying off. What is more their children or grandchildren are no where near the numbers needed to continue their "movement". That is even if they themselves support such ideals, and a good number do not.

None of this even touches the fact large parts of GOP strongholds are depopulating. From upstate New York right on down through Appalachia and onto the Rust Belt things are changing.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
In my opinion it's time for a new base. The Republicans have made it very clear they will never support those that are currently in the Democrat's fringe base so where else are they going to turn?
Many who voted for Trump said that they would have voted for Sanders. Sanders would have won.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
My previous comments not withstanding, the GOP does have issues. You can see this in how despite now controlling three branches of government they are no more successful in governing now than when Obama was president.
Very true.

Quote:
Simply put the GOP is breaking into basically two camps; progressive and conservatives. Or more simply put canky old white men & their wives versus younger people with a much different view of the world.
I can't name a single progressive in the bunch.

Quote:
DT being elected was the "great white hope" and last gasp of the conservative, cranky white persons and religious right. They are hoping and praying the next four years will see changes pushed through that will cement their views of how America should be regardless of subsequent occupants of the WH.
Do you not understand that what you just did is a huge reason why Hillary lost also?

Quote:
Should this not happen, and or things otherwise do not go according to plans then that is it; game will be largely over. Again demographics are simply not on the conservative/GOP side. Their core base is aging and dying off. What is more their children or grandchildren are no where near the numbers needed to continue their "movement". That is even if they themselves support such ideals, and a good number do not.

None of this even touches the fact large parts of GOP strongholds are depopulating. From upstate New York right on down through Appalachia and onto the Rust Belt things are changing.
The "Rust belt" hasn't been their stronghold for a long time. Maybe never. This is what the (D)'s lost.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Tom Perez all have a very weird idea about how to win over the voters and gain seats in the House & Senate. Their "plan" is to stop the President and the Congress from passing any laws to help Jobs, reform the Tax Code that is filled with Special Interest Loopholes or even pass Infrastructure projects. They believe that a failing ObamaCare health plan will win them seats.

Obstruction is their "plan" -- they think that will win them seats.

They believe that Impeach! will win them seats.
They believe that No JOBS will win them seats.

The Left and Democrats are so far out of the mainstream, and it's stunning to watch.
What jobs has Trump proposed? Where IS that jobs bill? The infrastructure bill?

Oh, nowhere. That's on ya'll.

Quote:
Sometimes the NY Times does some real journalism. This was one of them.

I was a Democrat. Voted for Bill Clinton, Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Kerry/Edwards, Obama.

But after that I was done with them. Voted Libertarian in 2012. Voted for Trump in 2016.

Republicans don't have a lock on my vote. I voted against GOP Pat McCrory as governor of NC in 2016 as well. McCrory lost in a state that Trump won.
---------------

The point. Don't ally yourself to a political party.
For someone that consistently refers to Michelle Obama as "Mooch" and who referred them moving out of the WH as 'jungle junk"; I have a super hard time believing that you voted for Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Many who voted for Trump said that they would have voted for Sanders. Sanders would have won.
You really need to find a new tune. No, Sanders would not have won; that is nothing but wishful thinking on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies