Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 07:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,918,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Plenty, and all you could do is mention baseball? We already have Americans that we don't share a common culture with is this some kind of plus?

We have one "identifying" culture and language. The rest are just minority ones. I've been to several states and this seems to be the case in all of them.

You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree that diversity is our strength. We have a lot of culture clash going on in this country. I never had a problem with legal immigration but we used to be a melting pot not a salad bowl. You are spouting the typical liberal lines.
Nah - them being Americans is the single most important thing that binds us to them. Nothing more is needed. But, yes, they do love our sport of baseball.

Diversity is definitely our (USA's) strength - it's interesting this has become a "liberal" thing since it is a KEY component of our country. The things that bind us together are not skin color or ethnicity, but a belief in America. It's sad that this is no longer embraced by all Americans... When did this happen??????????????????

And just because a culture is "minority" at a national level, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There plenty of examples of unique cultures throughout this country - your statements lead me to believe that you haven't really ventured around much of it.

Not that any of this matters as Puerto Ricans are already Americans, so your argument is invalid right off of the bat (no pun intended).

Ill leave you with this one recommendation: I encourage you to travel our country. You might be surprised by what you learn and see (hopefully, not in bad ways!).

Old 06-15-2017, 07:15 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Nah - them being Americans is the single most important thing that binds us to them. Nothing more is needed. But, yes, they do love our sport of baseball.

Diversity is definitely our (USA's) strength - it's interesting this has become a "liberal" thing since it is a KEY component of our country. The things that bind us together are not skin color or ethnicity, but a belief in America. It's sad that this is no longer embraced by all Americans... When did this happen??????????????????

Not that any of this matters as Puerto Ricans are already Americans, so you're argument is invalid right off of the bat (no pun intended).

Ill leave you with this one recommendation: I encourage you to travel our country. You might be surprised by what you learn and see (hopefully, not in bad ways!).

They aren't Americans in every way because they aren't a state of the union. They don't even have the right to vote in our elections nor do they pay taxes. Just being an American doesn't bind us all together because some Americans don't share the culture, ideals and political beliefs of mainstream America and don't even speak English which is our national de facto language. Where differences exist it's a dividing factor not a unifying one. When did this happen? When we stopped insisting that immigrants assimilate into our society, that's when. In 1965 the floodgates were opened and that's where the problems began.

There is no invalidity in what I have stated above. None whatsoever! Did you miss the part where I said I have already traveled to many of our states? Every state I have traveled to I see our mainstream culture and language alive and well while noticing each has their share of minority cultures. I don't see a lot of unity between the two groups either. Now race is a totally different thing as skin color doesn't matter one iota. It's culture that does.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:24 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,918,442 times
Quote:
They aren't Americans in every way because they aren't a state of the union. They don't even have the right to vote in our elections nor do they pay taxes. Just being an American doesn't bind us all together because some Americans don't share the culture, ideals and political beliefs of mainstream America and don't even speak English which is our national de facto language. Where differences exist it's a dividing factor not a unifying one. When did this happen? When we stopped insisting that immigrants assimilate into our society, that's when. In 1965 the floodgates were opened and that's where the problems began.

There is no invalidity in what I have stated above. None whatsoever! Did you miss the part where I said I have already traveled to many of our states? Every state I have traveled to I see our mainstream culture and language alive and well while noticing each has their share of minority cultures. I don't see a lot of unity between the two groups either. Now race is a totally different thing as skin color doesn't matter one iota. It's culture that does.
They are definitely Americans. But you are right in that there is something funky going on, which is that they don't have all of the same rights as other Americans. Namely voting power and representation. Which is THE problem. It's wrong. Either we give it to them or we let them go (but it should be THEIR choice, not Congress').

We have no official language, so that point doesn't really matter. Although, if they did get statehood, I imagine English would become the main language of the island with time. As has happened with Hawaii.

There are very large swaths of the nation that don't speak English as their main language. PR is a small island, physically - there are regions of some states (such as CA, for instance), that are larger than PR and are quire different culturally from the "general" culture of the US. They are the minority culture, but represent a larger landmass than PR does...they still count in the US, though. This is my point about traveling the country - you would see this.

"culture" is not a reason to let someone in, or not let someone in. If that was actually a relevant factor, the majority of immigrants would never have been allowed in this nation. And I'm talking about immigrants that came here well before 1965, by the way (as if our country's values have changed since then...they have not).

Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
They are definitely Americans. But you are right in that there is something funky going on, which is that they don't have all of the same rights as other Americans. Namely voting power and representation. Which is THE problem. It's wrong. Either we give it to them or we let them go (but it should be THEIR choice, not Congress').

We have no official language, so that point doesn't really matter. Although, if they did get statehood, I imagine English would become the main language of the island with time. As has happened with Hawaii.

There are very large swaths of the nation that don't speak English as their main language. PR is a small island, physically - there are regions of some states (such as CA, for instance), that are larger than PR and are quire different culturally from the "general" culture of the US. They are the minority culture, but represent a larger landmass than PR does...they still count in the US, though. This is my point about traveling the country - you would see this.

"culture" is not a reason to let someone in, or not let someone in. If that was actually a relevant factor, the majority of immigrants would never have been allowed in this nation. And I'm talking about immigrants that came here well before 1965, by the way (as if our country's values have changed since then...they have not).

I didn't say we have an official language but congress declared English as our national de facto language long ago. Many states have made English their official one including CA and it's the language that the majority of Americans speak. Our constitution and government documents are in English. I couldn't care less about some isolated areas that have a dominant non-mainstream culture. That doesn't negate the fact that most of the U.S. practices our mainstream culture and language. You do know what majority vs minority is, don't you?

Mexicans are taking over the southwest via illegal immigration, Cubans have not assimilated to English in Florida and they have been here for decades. What makes you think that Puerto Rico would be any different or maybe you don't care? I don't wish us to be a Hispanic country, culturally. Hispanics are already the dominant factor in most of the Western Hemisphere. There is nothing racist about any country wanting to retain their identifying culture and language. That's just part of the reason I don't want Puerto Rico to become a state. Hispanics typically vote Democrat and that's just another reason along with the financial burden they will bring to us. I don't know why we are arguing about this anyway. It's out of our hands and in the hands of the Puerto Ricans.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:44 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:

You wanna know something really ironic? The white people I get along with the most, then and now, are not white suburbanites. It's country boys. I have more in common with a West Virginia hillbilly than I do with a Puerto Rican, heck than even a white suburbanite. But I'm still not a "real American" to some people's eyes. Meh, oh well. I got better things to worry about. At the end of the day, as someone who was born in Puerto Rico, I'd rather Puerto Rico stay a territory for better or worse.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:41 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You wanna know something really ironic? The white people I get along with the most, then and now, are not white suburbanites. It's country boys. I have more in common with a West Virginia hillbilly than I do with a Puerto Rican, heck than even a white suburbanite. But I'm still not a "real American" to some people's eyes. Meh, oh well. I got better things to worry about. At the end of the day, as someone who was born in Puerto Rico, I'd rather Puerto Rico stay a territory for better or worse.
The irony is that Puerto Rico has more in common with Kentucky, West Virginia, southern Ohio, etc (or any Southern state for that matter) than with New York or Florida.

Quote:

OldGlory is a White nationalist, in his/her view only English speaking, Republican voting, White Americans are "real Americans". The reality is that Puerto Rico is not much different than Miami or any other heavily Hispanic community on the mainland.

I've noticed that it seems like most people who oppose statehood tend to be older Whites that live in very insular, rural areas and don't really have much exposure to the larger United States other than maybe if they went to college or if they served in the military ... and that may well have been decades ago.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:13 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,908,201 times
Quote:
They aren't Americans in every way because they aren't a state of the union. They don't even have the right to vote in our elections nor do they pay taxes. .
Just a note here, YES Puerto Rico DOES pay taxes, Social Security and Medicare taxes.
If you factor in service to our country, they do more than their share as they are over represented in our military by far!
Puerto Ricans for the most part, are much prouder of this country and their citizenship that the majority of the posters on this forum.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 AM

Who doesn't like "immigrants"? It's illegal aliens we object to. White trash? This poster just can't help show his racism with each and every post. We are Americans not 'Muricans. That's disrespectful. Why not stick to the topic at hand which is about Puerto Rico attaining statehood. What does legal or illegal immigration have to do with this topic?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Just a note here, YES Puerto Rico DOES pay taxes, Social Security and Medicare taxes.
If you factor in service to our country, they do more than their share as they are over represented in our military by far!
Puerto Ricans for the most part, are much prouder of this country and their citizenship that the majority of the posters on this forum.

Your last comment is a matter of opinion and biasness. We have 300 million plus statehood citizens and many of them have served and died in our military and are proud Americans also. Puerto Ricans aren't special in that way. If they are so proud of this country then why don't they join us as a state?

Old 06-16-2017, 11:25 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
If they are so proud of this country then why don't they join us as a state?
Do you not recall last Sunday when 97% of participants voted to become the 51st state? It's been on the news all week .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.