Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:27 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times

Advertisements

“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Mr. Trump said, as the crowd began to boo. He quickly added: “Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.”
That happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 06:28 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I have told others to be, but generally I don't talk to media personalities, celebrity's, or politicians. I have also reported people, I believe some of whom were attacking you in fact. The thread is about what will the left do, and the answer is-given that you are encouraging it so much, and initiating so much, that the question is...what will you do.

Otherwise you're just standing there hitting someone, and when they defend themselves you are yelling "You monster, what will you do to stop this violence?" And then hitting them again.
Maybe part of our disagreement is that I don't see incivility on this message board as being anywhere near as influential as what is spewed out by elected officials and the media. You seem to think that my rather tame banter with other posters is tantamount to Maddow calling Trump illegitimate every night or Sanders saying that Obamacare reform will "kill thousands."

Pro tip - we aren't the big problem. The media and Democrat politicians are the big problem.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:30 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Maybe part of our disagreement is that I don't see incivility on this message board as being anywhere near as influential as what is spewed out by elected officials and the media. You seem to think that my rather tame banter with other posters is tantamount to Maddow calling Trump illegitimate every night or Sanders saying that Obamacare reform will "kill thousands."

Pro tip - we aren't the big problem. The media and Democrat politicians are the big problem.
Pro tip-we actually are. Our words matter. YOUR words matter. people ignore politicians, they pay attention to what people who share their beliefs locally say. The MOST radicalized are that way not because of what a politician said, but rather what people around them say.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:31 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:

Your last sentence is missing a lot of context and information. In fact, an entire group of people, possibly from an alternate party from the one you state...might begin with an R.

I'd also very much disagree that people's way of talking to each other DOES not matter. It does. Very much so. Rhetoric from people in the media and politics play into this, or fuel the fire, but those are just one factor in all of this.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:36 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,190 times
Quote:
Again, the thread is not about LTR, although I am flattered. It is about Democrat Politicians, who hold far more influence and power than LTR, and who you undoubtedly support.

I appreciate your request for me to be more civil. Have you ever in your life once made a similar request to any Democrat politician, media personality, or celebrity? If your answer is no, then you and greywar are both just incivil partisan hacks, attacking me to bolster your weak argument.
*chuckles* I'll bite.

I'm not a Democrat..I was a Republican..until last year. Now I'm Independent. Oddly enough, I've made a number of requests to politicians, speakers and just general loud-mouths to be civil and tone it down. I confess that a lot of that was in the course of my employment..so perhaps I don't get credit for it..but it has happened.

I don't think my argument is weak. I just don't think that logic that supports moderation finds much of a home here.

Yes..to some degree, it is about LTR..you participate in a public microcosm of our reality..at this moment. You have status, people who agree with you, people who do not.
When you make a post that seems hypocritical, it is within the rules to disagree with you and point out what it is we see. These are the rules of discourse.

While you say it is about Democratic politicians--to a large degree you do not get dictate the course of your thread..it takes a life of its own..I'm sure you know this.

As for whom I support in Govt.--it is a very short list. There are Republicans, Democrats and Independents on it---all you need for my support is integrity, honesty and a willingness to sacrifice for the common weal.

As I said..a short list.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Smile Dear Tracey:

Quote:
There's been a lot of lip service about "civility" from Democrat Senators and Representatives on TV and the radio over the past two days. They all seem to profess a desire to return to the days where the "climate" isn't so divisive and charged with animosity.

My question is what, if anything, will these liberals do to work towards the civility they claim they want?

Will they stop claiming that efforts to reform the failed ACA will result in "killing thousands of people"?

Will they stop claiming that conservatives are bigots/racists/xenophobes simply because they want illegal immigration addressed.

Will they stop making wild-eyes accusations of treason with no evidence whatsoever simply because they lost an election?

Will they stop encouraging their followers to "resist," to "take out Trump and company," and warning that there must be "blood in the streets"?

Will they stop violent protests that silence political speech they disagree with at colleges and universities?

Will they stop their angry and hateful rhetoric about racism and brutality committed on a systemic basis by police officers and other law enforcement officials?

My prediction is that we'll have a few days of relative quiet from the left, and then it will be back to the same all out war of rhetoric on conservatives and Republicans. And then, predictably, more violence will follow as the next unhinged Bernie supporter loses it and makes an assassination attempt or worse.

Democrats are powerless.

Democrats are irrelevant.

Conservos have been saying that for seven months now.

The GOP controls EVERYTHING and is responsible for governing in all respects.

THEY serve as the example. For the past six years, they've controlled congress and their behavior over that period has definitely set the standard for the political atmosphere we see today.

The hyperpartisan crap goes as far back as Gingrich vs Clinton in the 90s. Newt was and still is a shameless hate monger.

The current climate is no new development. The GOP has cultivated it for over 20 years.

Carry on.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:49 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
There's been a lot of lip service about "civility" from Democrat Senators and Representatives on TV and the radio over the past two days. They all seem to profess a desire to return to the days where the "climate" isn't so divisive and charged with animosity.

My question is what, if anything, will these liberals do to work towards the civility they claim they want?

Will they stop claiming that efforts to reform the failed ACA will result in "killing thousands of people"?

Will they stop claiming that conservatives are bigots/racists/xenophobes simply because they want illegal immigration addressed.

Will they stop making wild-eyes accusations of treason with no evidence whatsoever simply because they lost an election?

Will they stop encouraging their followers to "resist," to "take out Trump and company," and warning that there must be "blood in the streets"?

Will they stop violent protests that silence political speech they disagree with at colleges and universities?

Will they stop their angry and hateful rhetoric about racism and brutality committed on a systemic basis by police officers and other law enforcement officials?

My prediction is that we'll have a few days of relative quiet from the left, and then it will be back to the same all out war of rhetoric on conservatives and Republicans. And then, predictably, more violence will follow as the next unhinged Bernie supporter loses it and makes an assassination attempt or worse.
Your answer: NOTHING

Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Your answer: NOTHING
Well, the predictable answer is that the Democrats don't have to do anything, but LTR does.

What else is new? L O L.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:

The left sees no problem with their kill Trump rhetoric, whether it's rappers singing songs and making videos that murder Trump, or putting on plays that murder Trump, or a mock beheading of a murdered Trump. Nothing to the Democrats has seemed reason enough for them to take pause, or do some introspection, and possibly tamping down the hate-filled rhetoric.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:36 PM

30,266 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
They weren't nasty. The Republican party and its associated RWNJ media were the nasty ones all 8 years of the Obama administration!
http://i.imgur.com/IGE6Wtd.jpg

No, not "once in awhile", the poster stated "all 8 years".

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-16-2017 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies