Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 AM

5,865 posts, read 3,307,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
An innocent man that was driving with his family was shot to death by a police officer. The officer gets off with no charges at all, the family gets an "our bad" from the city, and that's it. So literally, an innocent man was killed by a man that swore an oath to protect him, and nothing happens. There are no consequences. How is that okay?

Where are all the conservative "patriots" that are so pro-gun? Why is the NRA not outraged by what happened and speaking out to support the Castile family? Philando Castile was an American citizen, legally exercising his 2nd amendment right and had a permit to carry a concealed weapon. He was killed by a jumpy police officer.

But if one of these dudes who walks around Target or McDonalds their AR-15s slung over their shoulder was shot and killed by a cop, the outrage from the gun-groups would be unprecedented.
A great guy running around buying and smoking weed. Everyone wants to say the officer is guilty. He did NOT listen. What is some dam complicated about listening to an officers instructions? If I get pulled over and an officer knows I have a gun I will follow what ever that officer says. There is no grey area on this. Mr Castille did not listen. It is Mr Castille's fault that he is dead. Stop blaming the cop. Mr Castille is to blame!

Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
There is no evidence to suggest we are trending that way.

I've pointed out a million times already that the courts and legislation are holding and expanding police discretion over the last few decades.

The majority want preventative policing. The majority want cops to have leeway.

I don't like the idea of it myself but I'm not in the majority. Never am.
Yet police officers are rarely convicted of killing civilians.
Here

Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 AM

39,260 posts, read 27,661,377 times
I also believe NRA should have said something.

Yanez was unfit; "don't reach for it" is not a clear good command. All he had to say was "Put your hands on the steering wheel"

I don't believe Yanez was a racist though. (Just my opinion). He was nervous and wanted to live (I don't blame him for that), but I think officers like him should receive better training for their own good.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I believe there should be a federal law that all police officers have a recorded camera on them at all times. When something terrible like this happens at least the evidence will be there to decide what actually occurred.

I have known a lot of police officers over the years and I really doubt if there are many or even any cops that have a mindset of wanting to kill someone in the line of duty. They want a paycheck, spend time with their family and one day retire. Mistakes happen we need the video evidence to decide.
I'm not sure these cameras would help all that much. In some instances, maybe. But while the camera never blinks, it doesn't capture everything, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
You might want to watch youtube. There are many psychos out there with badges. Theres many body cam/Dash cam videos of cops that are pretty set on shooting people, and they say it. Theres videos of cops asking other cops to lie for them, how to spin a charge, etc, and they arent joking. You dont have to look far.
You might want to quit watching youtube for "evidence".

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Uh, no. We're saying that police officers are supposed to be trained well enough not to shoot someone based on a hunch. Yanez could have prevented this by saying "Hands on the steering wheel".
While I agree with your first two statements, you don't know that the last is true. I'm appalled at that killing, but I don't think there's a simple answer.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
A great guy running around buying and smoking weed. Everyone wants to say the officer is guilty. He did NOT listen. What is some dam complicated about listening to an officers instructions? If I get pulled over and an officer knows I have a gun I will follow what ever that officer says. There is no grey area on this. Mr Castille did not listen. It is Mr Castille's fault that he is dead. Stop blaming the cop. Mr Castille is to blame!
He did listen. The police officer told him to produce his license and not to pull his gun.

He told the police officer he was producing his license and not pulling his gun.

The course of events is not even in question. Yanez even testified to that effect.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM

5,865 posts, read 3,307,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
He did listen. The police officer told him to produce his license and not to pull his gun.

He told the police officer he was producing his license and not pulling his gun.

The course of events is not even in question. Yanez even testified to that effect.
He did not listen. He was told not to go for it. He did not listen.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

While I agree with your first two statements, you don't know that the last is true. I'm appalled at that killing, but I don't think there's a simple answer.
Yes there is. It's called "better training."

The two other police officers even testified that they'd not have made Yanez' mistakes. So the question is why did they know how to handle that kind of incident and Yanez didn't?

I come from a military background. I know what training is, especially training people to handle things that are designed to kill people.

We have initial training. We have continued competency training. We certify competency with each task. We do simulations. We do exercises. We do mock-ups. We do it deeply enough and seriously enough that even when scared literally sh!tless (I'm talking about having actually taken a dump in your pants), we take the right steps automatically.

That's how you do it when you're dealing with life and death matters. That's not how police do it in the US.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
He did not listen. He was told not to go for it. He did not listen.
He did not go for his gun. The other officers testified that he had his wallet out and his gun was still in his pocket.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 AM

4,153 posts, read 2,845,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes there is. It's called "better training."

The two other police officers even testified that they'd not have made Yanez' mistakes. So the question is why did they know how to handle that kind of incident and Yanez didn't?

I come from a military background. I know what training is, especially training people to handle things that are designed to kill people.

We have initial training. We have continued competency training. We certify competency with each task. We do simulations. We do exercises. We do mock-ups. We do it deeply enough and seriously enough that even when scared literally sh!tless (I'm talking about having actually taken a dump in your pants), we take the right steps automatically.

That's how you do it when you're dealing with life and death matters. That's not how police do it in the US.
I can't speak for every department, but the bolded in your post holds true for a lot of LE agencies out there. Another aspect is, you can train people 'til you're blue in the face, it doesn't mean that that training is actually going to stick with everyone, some people just suck at certain things, former Officer Yanez is in that group.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,955,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You keep your hands at 10 & 2 on the wheel at all times unless instructed to do otherwise.

When asked to produce your papers tell the officer the location of your papers and then ask permission to retrieve the information.
\

And they wonder why people hate cops.

Last edited by dorado0359; 06-19-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies