Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party is the party of KKK?
Democrats 94 74.60%
Republicans 30 23.81%
I don't know. 2 1.59%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:33 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And which local party, across the many locations that this fight is happening, is backing the pro-Confederacy love-a-thon?
Republicans, but I'm not so sure it's worth talking about at this point.

I'm personally all for bringing in regional distinctions within parties. I'd love if we all had the intellectual maturity to talk about the parties and recognize differences from region to region or state to state. Those distinctions reveal a reality in politics that we'd all do good to recognize, but look around this forum; do you actually trust the majority of these people to follow that?

I think many of the people on this forum couldn't handle introducing that much nuance into their tiny little. I mean, people like the OP view Republicans vs Democrats as if it's Good vs Evil. Do you really think you can have a conversation with him about the difference between Democrats in rural Texas vs Democrats in urban Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 04:35 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Personally, I think most of the statues should go, but there are many Republicans who see it as erasing history.

Are you seriously comparing someone who says the statues are historically relevant to someone who literally stood in front of the doors to a school to keep out black students?
"Erasing history..." How many statues do we have up for Loyalists who backed the British during the Revolutionary War? Or for the Native and Black soldiers who backed the British during the War of 1812? That's as much history as the CSA's treason.

And I'm more than happy to compare someone who was twice sued by the Federal gov't for refusing to rent to Black applicants in the 80s to that guy who blocked Black students from getting into their schools.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Republicans, but I'm not so sure it's worth talking about at this point.

I'm personally all for bringing in regional distinctions within parties. I'd love if we all had the intellectual maturity to talk about the parties and recognize differences from region to region or state to state. Those distinctions reveal a reality in politics that we'd all do good to recognize, but look around this forum; do you actually trust the majority of these people to follow that?

I think many of the people on this forum couldn't handle introducing that much nuance into their tiny little. I mean, people like the OP view Republicans vs Democrats as if it's Good vs Evil. Do you really think you can have a conversation with him about the difference between Democrats in rural Texas vs Democrats in urban Texas?
The first step to that honest discourse is being honest about who one's party really is. People can't in one breath claim that there's a such thing as RINOs while using the next breath to claim that b/c a party shares the same name as a party from 70 years ago, they are the same political ideology.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
"Erasing history..." How many statues do we have up for Loyalists who backed the British during the Revolutionary War? Or for the Native and Black soldiers who backed the British during the War of 1812? That's as much history as the CSA's treason.

And I'm more than happy to compare someone who was twice sued by the Federal gov't for refusing to rent to Black applicants in the 80s to that guy who blocked Black students from getting into their schools.
You do realize it was DEMOCRATS who put those statues up right?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
You do realize it was DEMOCRATS who put those statues up right?
And REPUBLICANS are fighting to keep them up. So if your position is that the Democrats, who were racists, put them up... what does that make the REPUBLICANS who are trying to keep them up...

Old 06-22-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
And REPUBLICANS are fighting to keep them up. So if your position is that the Democrats, who were racists, put them up... what does that make the REPUBLICANS who are trying to keep them up...
Because, at a point, they become historic.

Do you think statues of Julius Caesar in Italy should be torn down?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:03 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Hey OP. lifeexplorer. Do you think any of the current KKK members today are democrat?

I'll wait. Doubt I get an answer, though.
Yes.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Because, at a point, they become historic.

Do you think statues of Julius Caesar in Italy should be torn down?
So racist Democrats put up racist statues for an event that happened 100 years earlier = racists

Not-racist Republicans fight to keep racist statues for event that happened 150 years earlier = historians

Am I picking up what you're putting down...

Old 06-22-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
So racist Democrats put up racist statues for an event that happened 100 years earlier = racists

Not-racist Republicans fight to keep racist statues for event that happened 150 years earlier = historians

Am I picking up what you're putting down...
The statue of Robert E Lee in NOLA was put up in 1884.

It was there for 133 years.

Once again, should statues of Julius Caesar be removed in Italy?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:15 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
The statue of Robert E Lee in NOLA was put up in 1884.

It was there for 133 years.

Once again, should statues of Julius Caesar be removed in Italy?
Tear down Mount Rushmore!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies