Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party is the party of KKK?
Democrats 94 74.60%
Republicans 30 23.81%
I don't know. 2 1.59%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Bc they're sh###y people? I'm sure the Jim Crow Democrats thought they had reasons for being sh###y people that weren't "B/c we want to be really racist ." That doesn't change anything about how racist they actually were.
Immediately demonizing people... shocker

If you read some of the threads about the statue issue, you might actually learn something.

The vast majority of people who want to keep the statues do so because they see them as historical references of our journey as a nation.

Many people view the civil war as a battle over state's rights. Personally, I view the Civil War as the right to keep slavery, but many people do not.

It would be the rare exceptions that view these statues as a tribute to slavery in a positive manner.

Applying your perception of the statues to how other people should view them is ridiculous and a battle of futility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The democrats want to erase their racist history. The Republicans have no guilt and want them to stay because it represents the truth of our history. The democrats of course want them removed.
Well, they do keep trying to pretend this party swap nonsense is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 09:27 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Immediately demonizing people... shocker

If you read some of the threads about the statue issue, you might actually learn something.

The vast majority of people who want to keep the statues do so because they see them as historical references of our journey as a nation.

Many people view the civil war as a battle over state's rights. Personally, I view the Civil War as the right to keep slavery, but many people do not.

It would be the rare exceptions that view these statues as a tribute to slavery in a positive manner.

Applying your perception of the statues to how other people should view them is ridiculous and a battle of futility.
You guys are so full of sh## -- them for trying to pass that nonsense and you for trying to act like you actually believe their nonsense. Like I said, Jim Crow Democrats didn't come out and say they put up those statues to be racist a-holes, but doesn't change the fact of who they were.

A bunch of a- holes could come up with a GD treatise of reasons why John Wayne Gacy deserves to have a high school named after him, partly due to his stellar work in children's outreach... It would still take a depraved individual to try separate who he was, what he did, and why he did it from that one nice thing they liked that he did that they don't think is bad.

Likewise, it takes some sort of racist degenerate to make the argument that we can separate the who, what, why of the CSA from that one thing they did that they liked and don't think is that bad. So it's cool that you can say you don't count yourself in that number of degenerates, but you're still arguing to give them a pass.

Quote:
Well, they do keep trying to pretend this party swap nonsense is real.
So Democrats are the party of the Confederacy and state's rights?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:42 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I think it might be worth noting that many of the men in those Confederate statues were realistically no more or less racist than everyone else at the time. Lincoln himself wasn't actually fond of black people; he just though slavery was wrong.

Personally, I am with you; those statues should come down. However, I don't live in a former confederate state. Truth be told, it's not really my battle. I can understand how some would see it as history. I also understand why some see it as racist. And, as I said, I don't live near these so I don't really fight the battle. But to act as if the Confederacy abnormally racist is giving the Union a bit more credit that it probably deserves.
No one's excusing the non-Confederates of being racist themselves, but you can make the argument by serving on one side or the other you implicitly place yourself on a racism spectrum. So realistically you can claim the people fighting were more or less racist than their neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies