Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Despite the fact that when he said what he said he also stated that he knew there would be backlash...he knew...he decided to apologize:

Johnny Depp Issues Apology for Donald Trump Assassination Joke | Variety

I get that it probably didn't come out right, but maybe some of these celebs need to leave the comedy to the actual comedians. Depp said it himself, he gets paid to lie. People write his funny lines for him so that he can pretend to be that character.

Some celebs are fully aware of the influence that they have on others, and some seem to forget the level of influence that they have.

For idiots who claim that "it's just a celeb saying something" and that it means nothing, I present you one name to illustrate just what lengths people will go to emulate and/or do whatever they think their fav celeb thinks is cool: Kylie Jenner

Celebs, unfortunately, have a LOT of influence on people, what they think, how they act, what they will do.

When you see videos of girls (and even boys) stuffing their lips in to a shot glass, creating as much suction as they can, and then pulling that shot glass off of their face, often times suffering temporary damage, and sometimes suffering permanent damage just to have "lips like Kylie", then you'll get just how influential celebrities can be. No, it's not just teenagers.
I agree that celebrities have some measure of influence, but to be fair, he DID ask when the last time was that an actor killed a POTUS, not some loon on the internet who never acted in his life except in the kindergarten play.

I think Trump Supporters are (rightly) worried that someone will off their hero, but trust me when I tell you that thinking-minded people who do not support him are worried about that, too.

First off, because I abhor killing people.

Second, because Trump being martyred would be really sad. He's just so inept. I am personally hoping he retires or steps down minus major incident and we can forget him entirely as anything but a warning to future politicians not to ignore ANY demographic.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
When I read this quote from Depp my first thought was to recall how many stupid comments incredibly beautiful people made and no one said, "Wow. That was dumb.". When we add incredibly beautiful to amazingly wealthy, you have someone like Johnny Depp who never, ever had been criticized, until now that he is old and no longer incredibly beautiful, for his idiocy.
Nah. He's been criticized before. During Dubya's tenure.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:09 AM

5,650 posts, read 6,210,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
It would be nice if whatever he supposedly said was quoted.
I hadn't heard about this either. The following is from CNN:

"Actor Johnny Depp on Thursday became the latest US celebrity to invite controversy by making a thinly veiled allusion to the killing of President Donald Trump, asking the crowd at the Glastonbury arts festival in England, "When was the last time an actor assassinated a president?"

The comments, interpreted as a nod to the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth more than 150 years ago, sparked widespread condemnation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Nah, why stop there ? Let's just lock him up. I bet you have a bumper sticker on your pick up truck right now that reads that, don't you ?
Might as well crank up the Thought Crimes unit. That worked so well in Minority Report.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:11 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
This is free speech. Duh.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
What he said and the way he said it are just silly. I didn't hear malice in it like the hateful college professors of recent, the Soros-paid hate groups, Kathy Griffin, those with Republican kill lists and the recent murder attempts. There are many others to be concerned about.
This is pretty much my take on it. I spoke out against Griffin.

This Depp outrage is funny.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:17 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Trump implied it was okay for the 2nd Anendment folks to "do something" about Clinton.

How hypocritical can a conversation be on this topic?
Do what?
" Do something"
That is stretch there redzin

Do......prosecute her for emails and money laundering?
Do get them out of the White House.

Do what??...

Old 06-25-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Do what?
" Do something"

Do what??...
Well, 2nd Amendment folks are all about guns.

I doubt DJT was referring to "protest peacefully."

Come on. Call it out, no matter who does it.

Me, I think him saying that while RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT was a bigger deal than an aging actor who is known for playing a drunken pirate waxing poetic at a music festival (where he was probably, actually drunk), but deductive reason seems to often fly out the window in here.

The Griffin incident was ACTUALLY alarming. Because THAT was planned.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:33 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times
Quote:
Trump implied it was okay for the 2nd Anendment folks to "do something" about Clinton.

How hypocritical can a conversation be on this topic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Do what?
" Do something"

Do what??...
Quote:
Well, 2nd Amendment folks are all about guns.

I doubt DJT was referring to "protest peacefully."

Come on. Call it out, no matter who does it.

Me, I think him saying that while RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT was a bigger deal than an aging actor who is known for playing a drunken pirate waxing poetic at a music festival (where he was probably, actually drunk), but deductive reason seems to often fly out the window in here.

The Griffin incident was ACTUALLY alarming. Because THAT was planned.
If Trump was implying something with guns and the Clinton's, then that is wrong of him.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:28 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Why's that tubby, old Limbaugh jackass still here? He was supposed to be gone several years ago, no?
You are not being very tolerant with your name calling.

Who says he was supposed to be "gone" several years ago? His radio program is still very popular and has a vast audience. Of course, those who disagree with them (and rarely admit he is accurate very often) will call him names like "tubby" (even though he lost 50+ lbs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies