Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 06:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

by Jordan Rau - June 24, 2017 - New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...T.nav=top-news
Does anyone realize this is a year old thread? Now, for all those who believed what a stupid blog had to say, tell us, how many seniors do you know who have been forced out of long term care so far? Any btw, they are not called nursing homes anymore, they are "long term care" facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 06:11 AM

21,147 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Maybe she could go on a speaking tour telling people to provide for their retirement instead of expecting others to.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:42 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

by Jordan Rau - June 24, 2017 - New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...T.nav=top-news

Just more useless waste if time could, if, maybe, etc.

I live in the REAL world NOT some make believe scenario!

Old 05-19-2018, 06:53 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
fear and hate mongering is down to a science as used by the democrats.

Twist comments to the worst possible, least probable scenario and pretend it is a foregone conclusion.

Paul ryan is pushing grandma off a cliff.....again!

Meanwhile fraud, inefficiency and gross waste of directed taxpayer money is not worth pursuing. Having had a recent experience with medical transport paid for by medicare, some watchdog group or investigative reporter would do well to look into that scam.

Our federal and state programs are bleeding cash and it is not even on anyone's radar. Stupidity demands that more taxpayer cash be extracted to make up for the irresponsible stewardship of federal and state agencies.

Every time a proposal is made to modify a program like SS, which will not impact people well on their way to collecting, democrats make it sound as if 50, 60, 70, 80 90 year olds will be kicked out on the streets.
Ethically dishonest tactics to forward a political agenda at a cost to the people they pretend to help.

Democrats have a problem with Russian interference because it infringes on their right to do what the Russians are trying to do. Dems are doing what we see gangs do, have territorial disputes that result in the loss of life.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:56 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
This terrifies me. And yes, it isn't Dumpf (though he certainly doesn't give a whit) its the repugs in the House and Senate. BUT it'll be Dumpf also when he signs it.

I know my son would at least try to take me in in the hopefully distant future should I live long enough to need help. He took me in when I became disabled - 2009 to 2016, that is 7 years, and he was working on his doctorate at the time (so was I, so much for that).

However sadly his wife (married last year, AFTER I had moved out) HATES me already. I shudder to think what that will progress to should I become more dependent on him than I already am in the hopefully distant future (but maybe not, with these cuts to Medicaid, I won't be able to afford my house payment any more when my premiums go up).

And just what is going to happen to people who don't have at least one child willing to take them in? Not to mention the ones who will "take (an elderly relative) in" but then abuse them, whether due to stress and frustration, lack of ability to provide the needed level of care, or just out of being mean.

Nobody cares about the elderly ALREADY. Folks are going to care even less once we've been totally run out of money and assets and nursing homes won't take us any more. You put someone in a nursing home out on the streets and they'll be dead before the door swings shut.

Yeah, turns out the death panels are real after all. Just list out every repugnican member of the house and senate and you'll know who they are.
You obviously don't understand how medicaid acceptance and nursing home admission works. If anything, changes will be geared toward "able bodied but soaking the system" people on medicaid. Think of it this way, those able bodied people on medicaid are soaking money away from the elderly and that needs to change.... So seriously, learn more about medicaid and don't believe the rhetoric.

Seriously think about what depending on your children entails. We took our mom in for 3 yrs, it turned our lives upside down, it was "EXHAUSTING!" and miserable. You can't compare taking care of an elderly person with disabilities to a young child. And don't forget, they have responsibilities, jobs and spouses elderly parents.

We wanted to take mom in, when we tried to get help doors slammed in our faces. After 3 yrs we couldn't do it anymore (physically, financially and mentally, it's heartbreaking) we did everything we could but the best thing we did was admit her to a NH. "Proper, knowledgable care and safety is utmost importance, are your kids equipped to handle all this? And for the kids, it's important that you visit regularly. No one wants to feel forgotten.

Last edited by petch751; 05-19-2018 at 07:20 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You obviously don't understand how medicaid acceptance and nursing home admission works. If anything, changes will be geared toward "able bodied but soaking the system" people on medicaid. Think of it this way, those able bodied people on medicaid are soaking money away from the elderly and that needs to change.... So seriously, learn more about medicaid and don't believe the rhetoric.

Seriously think about what depending on your children entails. We took our mom in for 3 yrs, it turned our lives upside down, it was "EXHAUSTING!" and miserable. You can't compare taking care of an elderly person with disabilities to a young child. And don't forget, they have responsibilities, jobs and spouses elderly parents.

We wanted to take mom in, when we tried to get help doors slammed in our faces. After 3 yrs we couldn't do it anymore (physically, financially and mentally, it's heartbreaking) we did everything we could but the best thing we did was admit her to a NH. "Proper, knowledgable care and safety is utmost importance, are your kids equipped to handle all this? And for the kids, it's important that you visit regularly. No one wants to feel forgotten.
the visiting regularly is the important part regardless whether grandma is living in a long care facility under medicaid or paying for it herself. Our church has a group, which I happen to be part of that once a month visits those who are shut ins, either in long term care or their own home. We take their mail to them from church, visit them, take them to lunch if they are able to get out and just generally give them some time. They love every minute we spend with them.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the visiting regularly is the important part regardless whether grandma is living in a long care facility under medicaid or paying for it herself. Our church has a group, which I happen to be part of that once a month visits those who are shut ins, either in long term care or their own home. We take their mail to them from church, visit them, take them to lunch if they are able to get out and just generally give them some time. They love every minute we spend with them.
Of course it's important to visit regardless of how the finances are. I'm not sure why that was even needed to be discussed. Elderly who are taken to nursing homes who's family never or rarely come to visit are called drop offs, It's sad... no one wants to feel forgotten..

Medicaid. There are too many able bodied people on medicaid. Each time an able bodied takes out of the safety net they are taking from people who are legitimately disabled. The abuse is a disgrace.

Last edited by petch751; 05-19-2018 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Actually, there are many family members who visit their family regularly at the nursing home. We've even come to know each other pretty good. Unfortunately there are the drop offs too.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Kansas tried cutting in-home health care. It backfired. Those people started going into nursing homes which cost the state almost 10 times as much per patient. The restored the cuts.
Missouri is lowering the income level to the point that many on disability are no longer eligible for Medicaid. They also cut funding for free clinics. So those people are overloading ERs. But the governor got tax cuts for the rich. That is what was important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies