Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 12:01 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times

Advertisements

Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

by Jordan Rau - June 24, 2017 - New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...T.nav=top-news

Last edited by matisse12; 06-25-2017 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 01:37 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Not going to happen.

Typical NYT/WAPO anti Trump BS.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:07 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
It's not Trump that proposed the Medicaid cuts. It's the Republican dominated U.S. House of Representatives. The article says nothing about Trump. Trump just says he will go along with the Medicaid cuts in the health care bill which is being proposed by the House of Representatives to replace the ACA (Obamacare).

You assumed it is an anti-Trump article - without absorbing what it says. If the Medicaid cuts go through, each individual state will determine how to pick up the loss in revenue or to not pick up the costs.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:48 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,151 times
This terrifies me. And yes, it isn't Dumpf (though he certainly doesn't give a whit) its the repugs in the House and Senate. BUT it'll be Dumpf also when he signs it.

I know my son would at least try to take me in in the hopefully distant future should I live long enough to need help. He took me in when I became disabled - 2009 to 2016, that is 7 years, and he was working on his doctorate at the time (so was I, so much for that).

However sadly his wife (married last year, AFTER I had moved out) HATES me already. I shudder to think what that will progress to should I become more dependent on him than I already am in the hopefully distant future (but maybe not, with these cuts to Medicaid, I won't be able to afford my house payment any more when my premiums go up).

And just what is going to happen to people who don't have at least one child willing to take them in? Not to mention the ones who will "take (an elderly relative) in" but then abuse them, whether due to stress and frustration, lack of ability to provide the needed level of care, or just out of being mean.

Nobody cares about the elderly ALREADY. Folks are going to care even less once we've been totally run out of money and assets and nursing homes won't take us any more. You put someone in a nursing home out on the streets and they'll be dead before the door swings shut.

Yeah, turns out the death panels are real after all. Just list out every repugnican member of the house and senate and you'll know who they are.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:29 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
What will happen? Probably one morning those in care will be given a shower, helped to get dressed, given breakfast, then put in a chair at the front of the facility where a friend, family member, or private organization would pick them up. If no one came by dark, they would be allowed to sleep one night in the lobby. Grim.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:20 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
A few ideas:

More enforcement and implementation of State Filial Laws: https://www.agingcare.com/articles/f...aid-197746.htm

Black pill?

Put grannie on an ice flow and let her drift out to sea?

Or just eliminate Medicaid entirely? "Chief lieutenants in the Koch brothers' political network lashed out at the Senate Republican health care bill on Saturday as not conservative enough, becoming a powerful outside critic as GOP leaders try to rally support for their plan among rank-and-file Republicans.

Tim Phillips, who leads Americans For Prosperity, the Koch network's political arm, called the Senate's plans for Medicaid "a slight nip and tuck" of President Barack Obama's health care law, a modest change he described as "immoral."

"This Senate bill needs to get better," Phillips said. "It has to get better.""

Koch chief says health care bill insufficiently conservative | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

Old 06-25-2017, 05:34 AM

253 posts, read 235,361 times
Well if Trump doesn't support it, then he should let "we the people" know he intends to veto the new healthcare bill. If he doesn't, quit saying it is not his responsibility. He could end people's fear right now with one announcement. "We the people" is not just current recipients but also people who may encounter a need for Medicaid or comparable safety net. This is really not a program that can just be reduced or grandfathered without real care solutions.

It's silly and tragic to have a political/ideological/finger pointing/whatever.... conversation when people who need care should be confident they can get it.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
This terrifies me. And yes, it isn't Dumpf (though he certainly doesn't give a whit) its the repugs in the House and Senate. BUT it'll be Dumpf also when he signs it.

I know my son would at least try to take me in in the hopefully distant future should I live long enough to need help. He took me in when I became disabled - 2009 to 2016, that is 7 years, and he was working on his doctorate at the time (so was I, so much for that).

However sadly his wife (married last year, AFTER I had moved out) HATES me already. I shudder to think what that will progress to should I become more dependent on him than I already am in the hopefully distant future (but maybe not, with these cuts to Medicaid, I won't be able to afford my house payment any more when my premiums go up).

And just what is going to happen to people who don't have at least one child willing to take them in? Not to mention the ones who will "take (an elderly relative) in" but then abuse them, whether due to stress and frustration, lack of ability to provide the needed level of care, or just out of being mean.

Nobody cares about the elderly ALREADY. Folks are going to care even less once we've been totally run out of money and assets and nursing homes won't take us any more. You put someone in a nursing home out on the streets and they'll be dead before the door swings shut.

Yeah, turns out the death panels are real after all. Just list out every repugnican member of the house and senate and you'll know who they are.
Why would anyone take you seriously when you use words like Dumpf, repugs, repugnican?

Old 06-25-2017, 06:03 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,160 times
It is a big concern to those currently on Medicaid or that have love ones in it. Yes this is a Republican bill, but we as Americans need to stop reacting to it based on party lines and more of what is best to our country and its people.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

by Jordan Rau - June 24, 2017 - New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...T.nav=top-news
Guess she can go live with her member of Congress who will likely vote for this bill...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies