Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 10:25 AM

12 posts, read 5,825 times

Advertisements

Maybe I misread the link included in the OP's cited article, so can someone help me understand please?

This is what I read linked in that article.

Quote:
The Senate measure, like the House bill, would phase out the extra money that the federal government has provided to states as an incentive to expand eligibility for Medicaid. And like the House bill, it would put the entire Medicaid program on a budget, ending the open-ended entitlement that now exists.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/22/u...care-bill.html

How is this cutting medicaid more than the expansion of medicaid which occurred as a result of ObamaCare?

I'm really confused. Can you please explain it to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 10:29 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,402,596 times
The Medicaid program for the elderly is mainly a middle class program and is especially important issue for aging baby boomers and their parents.

ALFs and Nursing Homes are sprouting up everywhere in Florida. ALFs are usually private pay, Nursing Homes are increasingly paid, if not now, majority paid, by Medicaid. I can imagine the nursing home industry being extremely upset by these cuts as well. How many middle class families can afford $5,000 to $8,000 a month for nursing home care.

Remember that sign that a tea partier held up years ago. That sign said , "KEEP YOUR GOVERMENT HANDS OFF MY MEDICARE!". Though not discussing Medicare, the same can be said by these same middle class folks who rely on Medicaid to offset nursing home expenses.

Florida will be ground zero for this battle. This one change in the Medicaid law will shift Florida firmly blue. It may seem minor to many, but many thousands of middle class family rely on Medicaid for nursing home care.

Democrats now should follow a legal maxim, when your opponent is the process of self-destructing stay out of the way. These cuts will be a big campaign issue in the next few years, if approved.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:32 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
The woman in OP's story seemingly has done more than her share.

I guess it still wasn't enough to deserve to be treated decently, right?

I'd be curious to know what MORE she should have done, in addition to working her whole life, being a financial success and raising 4 kids?

What exactly would meet your empathy?

Are these other people mentionned in the article also worthy of your disdain?
Right, it's not doable for probably 90 % of the population. It's about 80 K/year for a nursing home. If you're there 5 years, who saves 450 K? It's, for most people, the exception. That's the stark reality of life, that many older folks who end up in a nursing home will spend out their funds and go on Medicaid. Medicaid is the reality for many of them.

When I worked in NH's most were on Medicaid, esp. the ones who were living a long time in bad health--dementia mostly, but also persistent vegetative state, too frail to walk (in w/c's), severe Parkinson's, etc..

Old 06-25-2017, 10:34 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The Medicaid program for the elderly is mainly a middle class program and is especially important issue for aging baby boomers and their parents.

ALFs and Nursing Homes are sprouting up everywhere in Florida. ALFs are usually private pay, Nursing Homes are increasingly paid, if not now, majority paid, by Medicaid. I can imagine the nursing home industry being extremely upset by these cuts as well. How many middle class families can afford $5,000 to $8,000 a month for nursing home care.

Remember that sign that a tea partier held up years ago. That sign said , "KEEP YOUR GOVERMENT HANDS OFF MY MEDICARE!". Though not discussing Medicare, the same can be said by these same middle class folks who rely on Medicaid to offset nursing home expenses.

Florida will be ground zero for this battle. This one change in the Medicaid law will shift Florida firmly blue. It may seem minor to many, but many thousands of middle class family rely on Medicaid for nursing home care.

Democrats now should follow a legal maxim, when your opponent is the process of self-destructing stay out of the way. These cuts will be a big campaign issue in the next few years, if approved.
Good point. When your opponent is self-destructing stay out of the way.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:35 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
Quote:
Dogwood Village receives about half of its $13 million annual operating costs from Medicaid, with rates from $168 to $170 a day. Some residents who come to the nursing home after a hospital stay are initially covered by Medicare, but if they stay longer than 100 days, that benefit ends, and those without savings move to Medicaid.
The rates are quite low and comparable to what I've seen for low-cost states.

That probably also indicates that she didn't raise all that much from the sale of her 'factory'.

The lesson is to try to postpone going into assisted-living to avoid running out of money and to use that time to stay active to further postpone going into a nursing home after assisted-living.

It's long been known that Ryan's plan for Medicaid was to give a fixed amount to the states and force the states to make up the difference. He calls them block grants. Over time, inflation and aging demographics would put most of the burden on the states.

Last edited by lchoro; 06-25-2017 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Ryan

Old 06-25-2017, 10:36 AM

12 posts, read 5,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Right, it's not doable for probably 90 % of the population. It's about 80 K/year for a nursing home. If you're there 5 years, who saves 450 K? It's, for most people, the exception. That's the stark reality of life, that many older folks who end up in a nursing home will spend out their funds and go on Medicaid. Medicaid is the reality for many of them.

When I worked in NH's most were on Medicaid, esp. the ones who were living a long time in bad health--dementia mostly, but also persistent vegetative state, too frail to walk (in w/c's), severe Parkinson's, etc..

What did people in those circumstances do before the massive expansion in medicaid as a result of the ACA, also known as ObamaCare? Were they forced to live and die in the streets before the democrats pushed Obamacare and that massive expansion to medicaid through?

I'm just asking questions because I'm confused and would really like to learn the truth.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Probably are no "cuts." Usually what the Left calls "cuts" are really just reductions in the rate of growth.
This is exactly correct -- keep in mind that we haven't had a real Budget since the 2008 Bush Budget that TeamObama used Reconciliation on to add the Trillion Dollar "Stimulus pkg" to in 2009 -- every year since 2009, there was another Reconciliation bill to add a percentage to that huge bill. We have been paying yearly another Trillion for the Stimulus pkg of 2009 and they have used the money for other Welfare.

Sequestration was about a reduction in that rate of growth on the old budget bill. There will be Reductions in this spending that has more than doubled the US Debt. It's unsustainable at it's current levels and it's insane to continue to pay the Trillion Dollar Failed Stimulus money annually. It FAILED and the CongressCritters are still spending that money that accomplished nothing but to put more people on welfare.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:45 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very passion8 View Post
What did people in those circumstances do before the massive expansion in medicaid as a result of the ACA, also known as ObamaCare? Were they forced to live and die in the streets before the democrats pushed Obamacare through?

I'm just asking questions because I'm confused and would really like to learn the truth.
Pretty much. My sister is one of them. She was near elderly and suffered from cataracts. She worked full time in a crap job with no insurance. She had cataracts - so bad she could no longer drive or see to do many tasks. She was waiting for Medicare eligibility as she could not afford surgery. She lost her job when she could no longer get to work. Medicaid expansion in her state allowed her to get the eyes fixed and saved several years of near blindness for her. She is back at work. There are many people with chronic conditions who so benefited. It's not all about death versus life for the really old. More often it is about the quality of life for hardworking people as they await Medicare. It is really shameful that we make people live like this in the richest country in history.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
We have to have a system that is affordable. A blank check is not affordable. We can be a compassionate society with an appropriate safety net without it being a blank check.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:49 AM

937 posts, read 700,191 times
I understand Dictator Trump is ordering rooms in the WH converted to low income & assisted living apartments.

Actually, all they have to do is clean out all the unnecessary jobs in the Pentagon (probably 90%) and convert that. At least it would go to a good use for a change and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies