Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 02:58 PM

143 posts, read 98,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is what I don't get from the bon marts of "Life's tough, get a helmet" or "Bills are a fact of life, get use to it." These canned lines are heartless and show no empathy. I do thank the posters that did offer suggestions, but most are out of touch jerks that never really had to deal with bills they can't pay for. I was depressed for an entire month and a half after my gallbladder surgery in February 2015. I had a great paycheck but it was still not even one-sixth of the $6.5K bill. I didn't have a steady job then so I was worried and contemplated suicide. I couldn't get AHCCCS (Arizona Medicaid) due to living at home with my parents.
Pretty much this, the lack of empathy and sympathy from some of the right-wingers in this thread is disturbing. It goes back to that hostile/dismissive "let them eat cake" sentiment they seem to harbor regarding the poor/working class, it really "seeps" through in some of their responses. Their assumption that low-paid workers are "losers" and such for example .... total lack of empathy and total disregard for how that person ended up there, that person's life circumstances, that person's layoff from a good job, divorce, illness, injury, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Maybe someone making 8 bucks an hour should live at home or do what everyone else does... get a roommate.

Math problem solved.
No it don't. Try again. At best that saves them $400-600 a month (maybe more, with more roommates.) As for living at home, that can very well increase transportation costs. Maybe it makes my $150 for gas and food budget, a $225, $250. And that's not considering gas price increases...

Old 07-06-2017, 03:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
Pretty much this, the lack of empathy and sympathy from some of the right-wingers in this thread is disturbing. It goes back to that hostile/dismissive "let them eat cake" sentiment they seem to harbor regarding the poor/working class, it really "seeps" through in some of their responses. Their assumption that low-paid workers are "losers" and such for example .... total lack of empathy and total disregard for how that person ended up there, that person's life circumstances, that person's layoff from a good job, divorce, illness, injury, etc.
You are talking about "A Just World Fallacy." Basically for me it is that I deserved my car wreck, my other car woes from today and my gallbladder based on some karmic points that were against me, rather than bad luck.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
The lack of basic human decency, morality and intelligence from some of the left-wingers in this thread is astonishing!

When nobody is willing to pay you even the minimum wage for your work, what would you call yourself? In the normal people's mind, you are a loser.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You are talking about "A Just World Fallacy." Basically for me it is that I deserved my car wreck, my other car woes from today and my gallbladder based on some karmic points that were against me, rather than bad luck.
Was your car wreck your fault? If not your fault, why are you paying the deductible?

Back luck happens - that's why we have insurance and savings.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Skill: teaching assistant, security, retail, have a management bachelor's degree and a general business associates degree.
Security: I am a licensed Arizona Unarmed Security guard and possess an Arizona fingerprint card so I don't think clearance should be a problem.

The Tolleson job you linked is about 35 miles away (both ways) and I'm not an agricultural life expert, don't have those skills so sadly can't do that.
The Luke Medical Technician job, I don't have the skills for at all, so that's out.
The Luke Quality Assurance job, I never worked in that role at all but I'll chalk this as a maybe. My mother did this right out of high school...
The Luke Logistics Management job, I too never worked in it though I did a Supply Chain management section in NAU's MGT 301 and GCC's GBS 220, so maybe.
The Luke Information Technology job, I could possibly do but don't have proper IT training (especially with design of IT systems like this position is looking for), so this out.
The Range operator is WAY above my grade. I'm not an existing federal employee, veteran, etc. so I'm out before looking at the duties.
Why don't you go overseas and teach English?

Old 07-06-2017, 03:07 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Was your car wreck your fault? If not your fault, why are you paying the deductible?

Back luck happens - that's why we have insurance and savings.
Not that I have a dog in this fight, but there are accidents judged no fault, and when that happens, the other guys insurance doesn't have to pay

Old 07-06-2017, 03:11 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I suspect that my "real world experience" is much bigger than yours, but thanks for your compliment)))
Im willing to say with 99% certainty, that you are incorrect.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Not that I have a dog in this fight, but there are accidents judged no fault, and when that happens, the other guys insurance doesn't have to pay
Right. Didn't think of that.

Do you still support the minimum wage?

Old 07-06-2017, 03:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
It is mathematically impossible to survive on minimum wage $8/hour type jobs in 2017, here's the math:

Assuming the person works for $8/hour and 40 hours a week

($8/hour x 40 hours) x 4 weeks in a month = $1280 before tax = $1088-ish after tax (assuming 10-15% tax bracket)

Assuming the "typical" cost of living for an average American with NO kids or welfare assistance

$800-$1000/month - Average rent in most cities for a 1-bedroom apartment
$75-$150/month - Average car insurance payment, depending on age of car etc
$150-$300/month - Average gasoline expenditure depending on vehicle and commute distance
$200-$300/month - Average food/grocery bill for one person, assuming a somewhat healthy diet
$50-$100/month - Average cost of miscellaneous household items such as toilet paper, etc
$150-$300/month - Average health insurance bill depending on a number of factors
$75-$150/month - Average utilities depending on several factors
$40-$70/month - Average cell phone/internet bill
+???/month on TOP of all this - If there is any debt service (car loan, student loans, etc) or kids involved

...and all of this is without saving any money whatsoever.

Grand totals for "typical" cost of living on $8/hour minimum wage

$1550ish-$2370/month on the typical $8/hour wage $1088ish take-home pay

$1088ish pay - $1550ish-$2370ish cost of living = negative $462-$1282 every month, literally mathematically impossible
I'm not a "Republican right winger" and I also am a "brown person" who makes more than minimum wage lol.

On your average cost of living for an American with no kids or welfare assistance - a young adult can live off of our current minimum wage of $8.25 an hour where I live. You can find a 1bd apartment for $350 here. It would be in a not so great neighborhood, but it is doable. They don't need a car, they can ride a bike or take public transit for $30 a month. Groceries for one person is doable on $50 a week. Health insurance cost for one healthy, young person via work would be about $100 a month. Utilities for a 1bd apartment would be about $200 a month. Average cell phone bill would be about $40 a month. Internet you can get for $20 a month with a deal.

Lets tally it up:

$8.25 per hour for 40 hours per week is $1320 (after taxes would be about $1120)

$350 1bd apartment
$30 transit (bike would be free after bike is bought)
$100 (healthcare premium from job)
$200 (monthly food budget)
$200 (utilities)
$40 (cell phone)
$20 (internet)

$940 total for all the above. Even after taxes that would leave almost $200 left over for saving.

FWIW a young person here can find a 2bd apartment and get a roommate and save on rent. Two bed apartments cost $400-$600 a month and they can live in a nice neighborhood for the upper priced 2bd and pay less than the 1bd in the crappy neighborhood while also cutting their utilities in half. That way they can save $100-$150 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies