Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:57 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Could some body please explain to me whoever said newspapers have to be impartial.

IMO, if I own it I can print whatever I please. Whether it sells or not is up to the consumer.

Read up on early publications. Whoever said they must be fair? Maybe in reporting a car crash or robbery.

Most of the dailies these days are partial to their local Chamber of Commerce.

Always whining about the news being unfair has been a tactic since my early days as a JBS fellow traveler.
You're right, newspapers are not required to be anything but what they want to be...

I think the issue, once we get past the obvious, is how the average citizen feels about how facts/truth is being reported generally speaking, because the media is a powerful source of influence in this country, as in any country, whether the press is "free" or government controlled.

I can easily understand how Trump supporters struggle with this, because they want Trump re-elected, and negative reporting about Trump doesn't help his chances. On the other hand, lots of people are glad the negative about Trump is finally being reported like never before, not only about Trump's rhetoric, tweets and antics, but now his actions as POTUS, something tangible in the way of accomplishment (or not).

Since it may be true the media leans more liberal as I think it does, the media is far more a source of heartburn for conservatives than liberals, but then we have the all important fact that no one can dismiss or ignore. Trump is POTUS anyway, despite the media and all else conservatives love to complain is controlled by liberals. Go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:01 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
So you want the media to never take Trump's picture again. He's 71, and he's a fat slob. He did this to himself by eating an obviously less than healthy diet and riding around in his golf cart when he could have walked. Maybe the media should photoshop their pictures of him?

Obama is lean and fit. The media WOULD have had to photoshop their pix of him to get him look as overweight as Trump.

Trump is a fat slop who often looks surly. More fake news.
Easy, or someone might think you are biased or prejudiced against fat people...

Churchill wasn't any great example of physique or healthy habits, but somehow the man always looked great in all those pictures of him over the years. Chris Christie, not so much.

Chris Christie got burned this week - CNNPolitics.com

Again, go figure...

Old 07-09-2017, 10:02 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
And more propaganda from USAToday:
Obama still struggling with smoking

Old 07-09-2017, 10:04 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Could some body please explain to me whoever said newspapers have to be impartial.

IMO, if I own it I can print whatever I please. Whether it sells or not is up to the consumer.

Read up on early publications. Whoever said they must be fair? Maybe in reporting a car crash or robbery.

Most of the dailies these days are partial to their local Chamber of Commerce.

Always whining about the news being unfair has been a tactic since my early days as a JBS fellow traveler.
Once Fox News started attracting viewers and making some big bucks with their conspiracy theories and outright lies, the gig was up.

Folks can whine all they want, but news outlets have a POV now. Like it, lump it, or leave it but that's the way it is.

Trump's constant whining about how unfair he is treated by CNN is pathetic.

It's a good thing he doesn't read. You should see what's being printed in Newsweek and the Washington Post.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:08 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Wow, OP, how snowflakey of you.

Trump is quite HUGE, and he's obviously unhealthy...not to mention 71 years old. His pictures tell the truth about his affinity for extra helpings of dessert.

Sorry if that reality hurts your feelings.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...lth/103556784/

Just browsing the internet is this pops off, now to all those who say the media doesn't have an agenda look at this, would they have done this with Obama?
Probably not. But then, I don't think anyone anywhere thinks that Obama might be a heart attack waiting to happen. He is obviously not old and in great physical shape. Whereas, Trump is neither of those things.

I don't recall anyone being worried about the health of either of the Bush's either.

There was some worry about Clinton, because, while he was young, he clearly tended toward overweight. But he took action and has successfully controlled that for the past two decades.

Do you think that americans are wrong to be concerned about the health of their president? Do you think that a responsible press should cover up a president's physical problems?

Old 07-09-2017, 10:21 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Probably not. But then, I don't think anyone anywhere thinks that Obama might be a heart attack waiting to happen. He is obviously not old and in great physical shape. Whereas, Trump is neither of those things.

I don't recall anyone being worried about the health of either of the Bush's either.

There was some worry about Clinton, because, while he was young, he clearly tended toward overweight. But he took action and has successfully controlled that for the past two decades.

Do you think that americans are wrong to be concerned about the health of their president? Do you think that a responsible press should cover up a president's physical problems?
We are supposed to pretend that the president isn't obese, gets enough sleep, doesn't eats unhealthily and doesn't get enough exercise. Because to admit the truth is now "propaganda." You can't make this **** up.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:27 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
I love pork.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:33 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...lth/103556784/

Just browsing the internet is this pops off, now to all those who say the media doesn't have an agenda look at this, would they have done this with Obama?
absolutely they would have a did , i strongly suggest you just your prejudice in check and do some research, every bad photo they could get of Obama and 1st lady they published daily. Fox used some of the worst photos thousands of times. And FOX does this ALL the time with anyone they dont like. At least the other networks use lots of good ones too.

Lucky for Obama he is a good looking guy , in good shape and has some self awareness. Trump forgets about the cameras all the time and makes a fool of himself.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...says/81500708/

I didn't find the article posted by OP to be anti-Trump. I thought it was flattering in fact. It showed a healthy president, not a malnourished chain smoker with PURPLE LIPS. (Obama).

That wasn't at All RACIST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies