Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Wind and solar are not cheap, because they must be backed up with conventional power plants.

When the cost of solar and wind with storage is cheaper than coal and gas, then we can talk. Unfortunately, economical grid-scale storage does not yet exist.
Given the politics of energy, we will never know the truth how renewables are stacking up. Suddenly out of nowhere we are reading that solar became dirt cheap. When? I know it has happened when Toll Brothers have solar roofs on their homes. Not a single one going up has them. How are they cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 09:53 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Understood, but there are viable alternatives on the cusp of discovery. Fork trucks that used to be gas, diesel or propane are now Hydrogen fuel cell. Cars are running on Hydrogen and CNG. Both far cleaner than Gas.
Geo thermal heat pumps are viable. I know I have one.
How volatile is Hydrogen and CNG? I'm not sure it's a very safe alternative for a car, but I admittedly know very little about this topic.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:55 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Given the politics of energy, we will never know the truth how renewables are stacking up. Suddenly out of nowhere we are reading that solar became dirt cheap. When? I know it has happened when Toll Brothers have solar roofs on their homes. Not a single one going up has them. How are they cheap?
Never heard of Toll Brothers. What does that mean?

Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
You can be pro-renewable energy, pro efforts to control climate change, and against the Paris agreement. The Paris agreement stipulated huge transfers from developed nations (read: US, Canada, Europe, Japan) to the rest of the world for "mitigation" (aka cash transfers having nothing to do with stopping additional emissions from occurring).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Agreement

We should participate in a good, multilateral deal to reduce greenhouse emissions (which means China and India carrying their weight, China emits much more than we do and India emits almost as much as Europe). We should not hand out huge piles of cash to other countries in return for zilch. We should not sign deals which entail China continuing to emit at super high rates while America and Europe cut; what's the point -- the Euros will do it without a deal, so unless the Chinese come on board in a big way in return for our formal participation we should just do it at home on our own terms.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 18 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
That Paris deal was never really about "climate change". It had language in it that suggested we sell our sovereignty over to foreign leaders who would have taken over our nation, rendering our government useless. The treaty, in and of itself, was a trap, and Trump was smart to back away.

As for the myth of "climate change", I'm not against renewable energy. I'm against anti-American tricksters who want to tangle takers in their quest for a one-world globalization agenda.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:52 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
USA will see CO2 emissions decrease a lot simply due to demographics. White Baby Boomers use way more fossil fuels per person than any other demographic and they are now retiring and increasingly dying off as all generations eventually do. Baby Boomers retiring along with First World native population decrease is the main reason oil prices have come down so much. All global population growth is in the poorest countries that use the fewest resources.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:22 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How volatile is Hydrogen and CNG? I'm not sure it's a very safe alternative for a car, but I admittedly know very little about this topic.
both of these fuels are a gas at room temperature, and liquid when stored under pressure. both also require very sturdy tanks that can handle the pressure, and any substantial impacts that might occur in a traffic accident without damage. that usually means a heavy tank, but with the advent of carbon fiber and kevlar the weight will come down.

the other nice thing about hydrogen and CNG is that since they are a gas at room temperature, if your tank does leak, it will leak a gas, not a liquid. gasoline will puddle up, and if it lights up, it will burn over a long period of time creating a fire hazard. the other two fuels mentioned dont puddle up they dissipate and minimize flammability issues. and even if they do catch fire, they burn off very quickly, and dont set anything else on fire, minimizing any fire hazard.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I never could figure out why 68 is considered "comfortable" in summer while humans are most comfortable at 72.
Doesn't make sense to me either.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:37 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Thanks for all the comments!

I'll chime in with my temperature habits since that's easy.

North Texas
Pretty much year-round
70 at night, 76 during the day if I'm away, 73 during the day if I'm around
I have Icynene foam insulation, which is probably the best decision I made when I had the house built in 2009. My electric bill (have electric heating) has averaged under $70 per month throughout my stay.

Thermal break. If every new home was code-mandated to use spray insulation it would save billions.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Never heard of Toll Brothers. What does that mean?
https://www.tollbrothers.com/

Homebuilder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies