Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:03 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times

Advertisements

Wow, a big metro area that is undergoing big growth at the moment is seeking to alleviate a traffic congestion problem. Stop the presses! This is big and controversial NEWS!

Not.

You can be assured that if the mayor of Denver was a Republican, the title of this thread would be something on the order of: GREAT IDEA FROM REPUBLICAN MAYOR OF DENVER!!!!!!

Is there anyone here on C-D who doubts that?

Last edited by JAMS14; 07-11-2017 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 10:03 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Would the mayor like to pick up strangers to his commute and drive them back home? Maybe to their soccer practice as well?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:10 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Hyperbolic OP. Typical for a wingnut though. If you aren't polluting the atmosphere with a V8 equipped Suburban, you're being oppressed. Suxh a stupid mentality where polluting = "freedumb"

Old 07-11-2017, 10:11 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
So you're okay with the government telling you how should be driving your personal vehicle?

Yep, used to live there. Taking away infrastructure meant for cars to build bike lanes is not going to solve the problem. Just because you build it, does not mean they will come.
Well, as you say "just because you build it, does not mean they will come."

This isn't controlling anyones lives as it's not forcing anyone to do anything. Anyone who chooses to change their habit as a result of these actions does so becasue they've decided to do so. They don't have to and might not. So it's not control.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
The difference in living now and in the moment, and those long ago looking at the big picture.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:41 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
I used to car pool. It is hard to find people who you can get along with that well.
We started with 4 in the car pool. That went down to 3. 1 guy always had car problems which impacted the rest of us. Either having to drive for him or finding a ride home when his pile of junk wouldn't start. Kicked him out.
#3 was having a fling and was constantly driving himself so that he could meet with the fling. (Usually on his day to drive).
#2 and i carpooled for 4 years. The annoyance was always having to wait for him when picking up for work. Always getting to work last minute.
Finally I moved closer to work and did away with the need. I would never car pool again.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Much like Boneyard, I tried it too. We had 5 people in a vanpool, mostly subsidized by our employer. Every morning 4 of us would meet at a park & ride garage, where we waited for the 5th who was always late. Eventually we started without her a couple of times and she finally learned to be on time. She was also a miserable rider, and would whine about her kids and husband the whole trip. When one person got laid off and another changed his hours we lost the van and went to a carpool. Our employer reimbursed part of the gas with vouchers, and as the driver I collected the rest from the riders so had no gas cost. Another person retired, leaving only two of us, of course, the whiney one. At that point she offered to pay all the gas herself if I would continue driving but no way I was going to put up with that any more, so I went to the bus. That is also subsidized, but the trip takes an hour al together. I have been doing the bus now for about 4 years, though I still drive in alone on Fridays just to get an earlier start on the weekend. Driving it's about 25 minutes in, 40 home. If invited to carpool again I would decline.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Yea, my only experience with car pooling was to college the first semester of my freshmen year and you couldnt pay me to do that again(and I was being paid then).

The 4 of us all had the same schedule on paper, but one of us had a science class that included a lab, meaning that even though his class was listed at 4 hours(2 for class, 2 for lab), it was really closer to 4h:45m because of schedules breaks. One of us had a 3 hour term class which meant he basically got out early when ever all the material was covered which was every day. One guy was taking P.E. Classes because he was an athlete which well, we all know what that means.

I was the only one who was actually taking 3, 1 hour classes (equaling 4 hours with scheduled breaks between classes). Me and the guy who got out early were the only ones who ever made it to the car on time. it made every M.W.F. hell. It made me thankful to for those Tues/Thurs Literature classes that no one could possibly car pool to since they were so spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies