Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, the BSA should not have done anything of the sort. The BSA is not there to satisfy your political agenda, either.

Any official response would have put them into a political position that they don't want to be in, nor should be in.

Trump was out of line.

Their best option was to pretend it didn't happen and get the kids back on track in the Jamboree mindset (which actually probably took only ten minutes after Trump shut up) and otherwise not give this any more attention than necessary.
After a couple of days of mulling all this over, I'm inclined to agree. BSA needs to leave Trump's behavior to stand on its own and reiterate with its members our commitment to civil behavior to ensure that the disgraceful display of Scouts booing a former president and a secretary of state never happens again. Make no mistake about it -- I'm livid, and there's been more than one strongly-worded discussion of the event in the privacy of my home -- but no good will come from the BSA dragging this out in the media by making additional official statements.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-26-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They issued a statement -- short and to the point...anything more would just fan the flames. They are there for the kids not to satisfy a political agenda of either party.
The President of BSA is also CEO of AT&T. They are awaiting approval for the m&a. Trump wants them to make CNN be nice to him before the acquisition is approved. Stephenson is between a rock and a hard place.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
No, the BSA should not have done anything of the sort. The BSA is not there to satisfy your political agenda, either.

Any official response would have put them into a political position that they don't want to be in, nor should be in.

Trump was out of line.

Their best option was to pretend it didn't happen and get the kids back on track in the Jamboree mindset (which actually probably took only ten minutes after Trump shut up) and otherwise not give this any more attention than necessary.
Does the BSA stand for nothing, not even their own oath, scout law or scout vision statement anymore?

This would have been a great opportunity to teach the scouts what BSA is about. They could have done so in a way that didn't directly attack Trump, but just reminded scouts of what their core principles are and how their responses at the Jamboree didn't reflect such principles.

By remaining silent they send a message of tacit agreement with the president instead. It's a sad day for the BSA.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Does the BSA stand for nothing, not even their own oath, scout law or scout vision statement anymore?

This would have been a great opportunity to teach the scouts what BSA is about. They could have done so in a way that didn't directly attack Trump, but just reminded scouts of what their core principles are and how their responses at the Jamboree didn't reflect such principles.

By remaining silent they send a message of tacit agreement with the president instead. It's a sad day for the BSA.
Jamboree is still on going, so I have had no feedback from friends in attendance about the aftermath of the speech. It's possible it was addressed with those in attendance out of sight of the media. I'll ask when my friends return later this week. As a member of BSA, however, I'll note that I have not received any official communication from the national organization about the president's appearance, which is somewhat surprising.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:25 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:

Trump was out of line.

I understand your POV.

Yet, in this circumstance its unacceptable. The President did more than a cross a line in this situation. He behaved in the most blatant politically partisan way he could of when he made this speech. He didn't set a poor example for the Boy Scouts. He set a terrible example.

I don't care if Trump is President. No one should be allowed to address scouts like this without previewing his remarks. He doesn't want them to be reviewed? Than no speech should have been allowed.

Yes, sometimes you even stand up to the President of the United States and say no. I have to wonder about the namby-pambees running the Boy Scouts. Anyone who has been following Trump for the last six months with a brain in their head understood he was likely to do what he did with this Jamboree speech.

Trump's remarks took his presidency to a new low (which I didn't think was possible). Yet, the Boy Scout organization failed to show leadership. Leadership would have meant preventing the President from giving this farcical speech.

I have said before I participated for years as a scout leader. I won't be asked to do so because of my age and the fact my children are grown up. However, if I were asked I would refuse simply because of how this matter was handled.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Jamboree is still on going, so I have had no feedback from friends in attendance about the aftermath of the speech. It's possible it was addressed with those in attendance out of sight of the media. I'll ask when my friends return later this week. As a member of BSA, however, I'll note that I have not received any official communication from the national organization about the president's appearance, which is somewhat surprising.
Quietly out of sight of the media does nothing for the BSA's public image and reputation. The BSA has had a rough few years in the public's perception and has been suffering declining membership. Remaining silent here does not help them.

A public statement reaffirming their committment to basic BSA core values would go a long way towards restoring their public image and show that they are an organization who stands on their principles. Public silence on the incident does the opposite.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Quietly out of sight of the media does nothing for the BSA's public image and reputation. The BSA has had a rough few years in the public's perception and has been suffering declining membership. Remaining silent here does not help them.

A public statement reaffirming their committment to basic BSA core values would go a long way towards restoring their public image and show that they are an organization who stands on their principles. Public silence on the incident does the opposite.
Okay. I'm waiting patiently to see what happens next. I've been around long enough to know that the national organization does nothing quickly, and Jamboree isn't even over yet. We'll all have to wait and see how this works out.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Preview the president's speech? What planet are you talking about? Of course they would not preview the president's speech. Nobody previews the president's speech. Why would they? To "uninvite" him? Nobody does that either, unless they want to be in the center of an immense political firestorm.

The President of the US always has the honorary title of president of the BSA. He gets to speak when he wants to.
So????? Never before have we had a POTUS who is so inept and unprepared for the realities of that position.

And if he is the "honorary president" of the BSA than the LEAST he could do is show proper respect for that position and the organization's policy of remaining non-partisan when it comes to politics.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So????? Never before have we had a POTUS who is so inept and unprepared for the realities of that position.

And if he is the "honorary president" of the BSA than the LEAST he could do is show proper respect for that position and the organization's policy of remaining non-partisan when it comes to politics.
And that's on Trump, not the BSA.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:

Absolutely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies