Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 11:13 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
But they can speak out about their own beliefs and principles. They can speak to what the BSA purports to stand for. And they can do it without denigrating the current idiot in the White House.

This is a PR nightmare for the BSA. Doing nothing is not helping them. Read randomparent's posts in this thread and tell me how pretending this never happened is working out for the scouts across the country.
Absolutely this. They can discuss the inappropriate partisanship and codes of conduct without even mentioning Trump by name.

I do appreciate Mike Surbaugh's appology today. It's much closer to what I would have expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
Boy scouts need to toughen up.
No they don't. Some bon mart about it is false. The scouts I know and grew up with through the program are fine upstanding gentlemen. We don't need to toughen up, we are brave. I'm brave and stand for myself when it wise to do so, now is one of those times.

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
your defense is that trump and his staff are incompetent at handling the simple task of addressing the jamboree, a task handled easily by most modern presidents, and they require special consideration and action on the part of others.
This poster's

"Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Because they should know by now that he does not act like traditional politicians ..."

...'euphemism' for "a decent human being".

Old 07-27-2017, 11:16 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
[/b]

PLEASE, don't let this happen! This is heartbreaking. I am on the verge of tears right now myself.

What I think should happen:

The EAGLE Scouts in the Administration need to step up. Tillerson, Perry, all of them. THEY need to fix this along with the BSA.

Something we know won't happen: 45 needs to admit the inappropriateness of his words. He needs to apologize to the BSA, all scouts and to the entire NATION. Oh, God! I'm so sick of this creature.
There is one huge problem, Trump. Trump has NEVER admitted guilt and apologized for anything in his life. He simply bought his way out of any jam.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:17 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm devastated for my son, who is working diligently on his Eagle rank, loves his troop, and acts with integrity and civic mindedness in his daily life both in and out of uniform. That he is now in the position of being rejected for something completely out of his control breaks my heart.

I would implore you to reconsider holding a young boy selling a Christmas wreath so he can go to summer camp responsible for Trump's behavior. I promise you that the Scout who is knocking on your door really just wants to go to camp and is working hard to get there.
When he gets to camp, then what?

Do the leaders push Trump trash talk on him? Will he be booing a former president around the campfire?

I imagine the majority of the Scouts at the Jamboree were there for reasons other than listening to Trump's nonsense.

Yet, here we are.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Absolutely this. They can discuss the inappropriate partisanship and codes of conduct without even mentioning Trump by name.

I do appreciate Mike Surbaugh's appology today. It's much closer to what I would have expected.
Thank you - I hadn't seen that. Just read it. I still think the behavior of the boys who booed(and perhaps leaders who did as well) should be addressed.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Hate to say I told you so lol.

But there you have it. The Libs are going to war with your kids in the Boy Scouts now.........wonder when they will get around to the Girl Scouts.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:23 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is the bold. Trump is FAR TOO political in any speech. His speech wasn't anything about leadership, it was his same stump speech but directed at many who will be too young to vote in 2020. Scouts 12-14 at the event like I was at the 2001 Jambo would not be able to vote in the next election. Anyone with half of a brain knew that the Scout Law is:
  1. Trustworthy
  2. Loyal
  3. Helpful
  4. Friendly
  5. Courteous
  6. Kind
  7. Obidient
  8. Cheerful
  9. Thrifty
  10. Brave
  11. Clean
  12. Reverent
Now tell me, how many does Trump represent? Does Trump represent the mission and values of the BSA? No other President whether FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, LBJ, Bush '41, Clinton, Bush '43 and even Obama has caused a crisis like Trump has. The Chief even had to make a statement about the off-topic rhetoric from one Donald J. Trump. From the Chief: Our Perspective on the Presidential Visit - Scouting Wire : Scouting Wire

They haven't had to explain or defend themselves anytime with Bush '43 or Obama, but they do for Trump. Maybe the common denominator is Trump...
From the Chief: Our Perspective on the Presidential Visit - Scouting Wire : Scouting Wire

Okay, thank you for posting this. THIS is what is needed. I actually think, and I am going to send it in, that it should be printed in all US newspapers. I'm going to try to send to as many as I can. Who's with me?

Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Agreed. My family was heavily involved in scouts for years, as leaders and committee members, and we have continued to support the organization's fundraisers. I feel bad for the local troops who are going to suffer fallout from this, but for that I put the blame squarely on the BSA. Their silence on this is going to be their undoing.

What their silence proves is that the leadership of the BSA refuses to stand up to the tenets of their own motto, oath and mission statement. They are terrible role models for their scouts. If my son was still of scouting age I would be seriously considering pulling him out.

Trump is an ignorant boor. No one expects better behavior from him any longer. But I did expect better from the BSA. Now they will have to deal with the results of their cowardice.
Exactly.

Why would parents want their sons to be involved in an organization that supports Trump's attacks? For God's sakes, the Scouts were booing a former POTUS.

BSA leadership is behaving as if it will all go away if they just ignore it.

We'll see.

The mission of the Boy Scouts is to develop character in young men.

Cheering for Trump, booing Obama, and guffawing over orgies is not the character that most families have in mind.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM

26,583 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

But there you have it. The Libs are going to war with your kids in the Boy Scouts now.........
addressing accountability for actions does not equate to "going to war".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies