Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 02:39 PM

19,751 posts, read 22,661,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you were at the Jamboree with your Troop, how would you have guided them?
I would have immediately told the Senior Patrol Leader to go over 'Courtesy'. Boo's and chants, especially under this circumstance, totally unnaceptable and contrary to our ideals.

I'm fairly confident our boys would not have engaged, sans 2-3, but generally a quick glance from any of us leaders puts a kabosh on behavior unbecoming to a Scout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 02:49 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
You're right.

The pastor in Michigan called a halt to Trump's nonsense when he started bashing Clinton, but one could not possibly expect the BS leaders to have that much sense or character.

Had I been there, I would have pulled the plug about the time Trump launched into the nudge-nudge business about what went on with the yacht. What kind of talk is that around young boys?
Who are you to say that it's better for the people there to not hear how their president thinks? That's how I look at it. I say let the buffoon speak. Let them see what their president is...and to be fair, part of his speech was actually good. I kind of liked the later part of it that focused more on working hard and enjoying your job so that it's not work.

Regarding the yacht comment, that was inappropriate, but according to wikipedia you have to be 12 to attend there, and I hardly think 12 year old boys are going to have virgin ears traumatized by a brief implication about what went on in that yacht.

I don't look at the speech as so much a bad influence, as needlessly divisive and trying to push an apolitical organization into becoming a political one. I see no reason to believe it worked...just that it could lead to patterns of such political rhetoric happening in the future if not disparaged, and it was disparaged, I think, through that apology of their leader.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:55 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Roars of disapproval? Where?
I know a number of Scouters, personally, who were speaking out against it. I'll be seeing several at an Adirondack National Camp School reunion a week from tomorrow who undoubtedly will have something to say about it.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
If you were at the Jamboree with your Troop, how would you have guided them?
Actually come to think about it- I'm fairly certain the youth leadership in our troop would have handled it with no intervention by us. One thing I am most proud of is the fact we are a boy led troop, the way it's supposed to be.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I know a number of Scouters, personally, who were speaking out against it. I'll be seeing several at an Adirondack National Camp School reunion a week from tomorrow who undoubtedly will have something to say about it.
The adult leaders in our troop are all different political flavors, from hardcore liberal to independent and hard core Clinton haters.

We've all already discussed it and 100% concurrence that his speech was inappropriate and counter to the message of teaching leadership and citizenship. Pushing partisanship is a no-no..

Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I would have immediately told the Senior Patrol Leader to go over 'Courtesy'. Boo's and chants, especially under this circumstance, totally unnaceptable and contrary to our ideals.

I'm fairly confident our boys would not have engaged, sans 2-3, but generally a quick glance from any of us leaders puts a kabosh on behavior unbecoming to a Scout.
Exactly.

You prepare them for what's likely to happen and review how Scouts behave in such circumstances.

During the event, you provide guidance and encouragement for appropriate behavior and quickly put the kibosh on inappropriate behavior.

Afterwards, you commend them on behaving with honor.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Actually come to think about it- I'm fairly certain the youth leadership in our troop would have handled it with no intervention by us. One thing I am most proud of is the fact we are a boy led troop, the way it's supposed to be.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
The adult leaders in our troop are all different political flavors, from hardcore liberal to independent and hard core Clinton haters.

We've all already discussed it and 100% concurrence that his speech was inappropriate and counter to the message of teaching leadership and citizenship. Pushing partisanship is a no-no..
So what happened with the Scout leaders at the Jamboree?

How is it that they didn't recognize that Trump was inappropriate?

How is that they didn't put a stop to the booing and cheering?

Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post

Regarding the yacht comment, that was inappropriate, but according to wikipedia you have to be 12 to attend there, and I hardly think 12 year old boys are going to have virgin ears traumatized by a brief implication about what went on in that yacht.
Ask the mothers of those 12 year old boys or even the mothers of the 16 year old ones if they sent to them to Jamboree to listen to the POTUS talk dirty.

SMH

Old 07-27-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Who are you to say that it's better for the people there to not hear how their president thinks? ...
There are no lack of opportunities to hear how Trump thinks. Anyone with a WiFi connection has a direct line to his mind.

That's not what the Jamboree is about.

Nor is it what Boy Scouts are about.

But if the Scouts had all sat quietly and listened to Trump ramble on, I doubt there would have been much, if any, backlash. It was just Trump being Trump. No big surprise there.

It was the cheering and booing that has every troop in the country reviewing what Scouts stand for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies