Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 01:52 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Just what Trump needs: the opportunity to make yet another ego stroking speech which deluded him into believing that 40,000 children are already his loyal, starry eyed followers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 01:53 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You did not see 40,000 Scouts cheering what Trump was saying.

You saw 40,000 Scouts cheering the POTUS.

It's an error to presume that all of them necessarily parsed what was being said.

It's an error to presume that all of them were doing anything more than participating in the moment--something adolescent boys will have a tendency to do.

It's an error to presume that even if they did parse the speech, and then realized they disagreed with it, that'd they necessarily take an immediate protest action. Most adolescents are not that politically aware and politically astute to immediately say, "Wait a minute" and then formulate an instantaneous response.

If you've been to Jamboree, you know that over ten days the boys are urged to join in to many mass participation events...it's what they do. This was another one, just a few minutes out of ten days of mass enthusiasm for a bunch of young teenaged boys.

Blaming them is silly. They're the victims.
They are indeed the victims. They signed up for building fires and camping out, not this.

Where were their leaders? There is no need to "parse" Trump's speeches. It's the same BS over and over.

Scout leaders could have told their Scouts to clap politely when they gave them the sign to do so, and to otherwise keep it zipped.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:54 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Apparently the boy scouts have apologized for the speech Trump gave.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They are indeed the victims. They signed up for building fires and camping out, not this.

Where were their leaders? There is no need to "parse" Trump's speeches. It's the same BS over and over.

Scout leaders could have told their Scouts to clap politely when they gave them the sign to do so, and to otherwise keep it zipped.
Oh my gosh, you've never been a Scout leader, much less attended an event like Jamboree, have you?

Old 07-27-2017, 01:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Apparently the boy scouts have apologized for the speech Trump gave.
Yes, the Boy Scouts have apologized for Trump's speech, when what really needs to happen is that our president needs to apologize to the Scouts for his abominable behavior. Sadly, I think we all know that will never happen.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Theodore Roosevelt wasn't the founder of BSA.

And no offense but this sounds a bit overly dramatic. Remember these are just kids- they responded like most kids would. I don't like it, but 42 years in the program- trust me this isn't surprising reaction to the kind of speech he made.

This is a great teaching moment for us and our Troop. It certainly is.
Teddy was the "figure head founder" and even had the Nassau County Council (the one I was in as a youth) renamed in his honor about 20 years ago (wow it's already been that long.) He championed it regardless.

I'm not surprised, I remember the Second Generation Osmonds at Jambo 2001 getting booed at the Tuesday show because they weren't girls and were an N'Sync wannabe. I myself didn't mind them honestly. That said, it is a bit different to boo a musical act than it is to boo a former President.

It makes a great Scoutmaster's Minute, that's for sure. That said, the fact is it shouldn't be the focus of a Scoutmaster's Minute at all. No president caused this reaction at a National Boy Scouts Jamboree in the past. It was all a stump speech and not one commending the Scouts like I saw from Bush '43 in 2001.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:03 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh my gosh, you've never been a Scout leader, much less attended an event like Jamboree, have you?
Not attended a Jamboree, but have raised sons and been a den mother. Have a box of neckerchief slides and badges to prove it. I've chaperoned a fair number of teen trips as well.

There is always something they want that depends on good behavior.

For example, if my troop wanted to go ziplining, I would move heaven and earth to see that it happened if they behaved at the Jamboree.

However, if they did not, we'd be packing up and going home.

There is no way I would have stood by and let the boys I was responsible for behave like this.

Either their leaders were hopelessly inept at leading boys or they were fine with Trump's nonsense. Which is it?

Old 07-27-2017, 02:13 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Just what Trump needs: the opportunity to make yet another ego stroking speech which deluded him into believing that 40,000 children are already his loyal, starry eyed followers
OMGoodness, CAN you imagine what the conversations were around those "Campfires" that night!! Trump in my view made a fool of himself in front of the (young men who aren't even of age to vote for his HATE/Negativity and lewdness) kids who saw in real time just who is representing American Values ( not even close to Boy Scout Values) to the world!!

I'm not surprised there was an immediate outcry by parents of these kids!! Propaganda.. preaching hate and fears to impressionable young men is something us old people remember about Hitler's march into "Ethnic Cleansing"!!!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
What you saw were some adolescents caught up in the moment.

And, frankly, those same boys may have heard the same comments in their own living rooms, so it didn't occur to them to be out of place to hear the president say what their parents said.
Quote:
You did not see 40,000 Scouts cheering what Trump was saying.

You saw 40,000 Scouts cheering the POTUS.

It's an error to presume that all of them necessarily parsed what was being said.

It's an error to presume that all of them were doing anything more than participating in the moment--something adolescent boys will have a tendency to do.

It's an error to presume that even if they did parse the speech, and then realized they disagreed with it, that'd they necessarily take an immediate protest action. Most adolescents are not that politically aware and politically astute to immediately say, "Wait a minute" and then formulate an instantaneous response.

If you've been to Jamboree, you know that over ten days the boys are urged to join in to many mass participation events...it's what they do. This was another one, just a few minutes out of ten days of mass enthusiasm for a bunch of young teenaged boys.

Blaming them is silly. They're the victims.
But there's one problem. You can't separate Trump from being the POTUS. For the next four years (hopefully not), Trump is the POTUS (sadly.) And Trump once again proved why he isn't fit for the job at all, He turned a non-partisan event for an apolitical organization, a partisan political situation and turned the Boy Scouts into frothing from their mouth Trump supporters just shy of saying "Lock Her Up." And it was from the same style speech and not one he did just for the youth leaders in attendance like Bush '43 did. The fact remains the Boy Scouts cheered a man who has never lived the Scout Oath and Law in his personal life.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:27 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What was irrelevant about it? Are Boy Scouts not representing the up and coming youth.
You and I know the truth hurts. The truth, you want to make irrelevant in your mind and block it out of existence. No wonder you guys are getting farther behind, in the counter culture war.
The truth is Trump was out of line and he is not a popular President.

Remarks about communism are truly irrelevant. If you are unable to recognize it, the rest of us do.

It would be nice if you actually had something to say on a topic like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies