Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 12:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yep go ahead try to walk it back.

But, the fact remains that many of ya'll are screaming Hitler Youth as well as the media.

Hitler Youth was a part of the Nazi party.

Calling American kids Nazi's is not a good look. And ya'll wonder why you lost the election.
Listen, I was a Boy Scout, my brother was a Boy Scout, my farther was a Boy Scout and an adult leader, my mother was an adulr leader too. All of us were indicted into the Order of the Arrow. We were scouts for 12+ years until we moved to AZ in 2006. This was not how the Boy Scouts react normally. This was a Trump rally crowd with nothing short of the lock her up chants. Typist is why I an Eagle Scout who earned my tank at the 15, two whole years above the national average say that comment. It was eerily like the Hitler Youth speeches and the Boy Scout response was lack luster. When i earned Eagle Scout, I have a speech and told the 150+ in attendance that I want my future children involved in the scouting program. Now, I'm not so sure anymore because of what this idiot turned it into. I'm not a liberal, I'm independent but I am anti-Trump and if the BSA is gonna side with someone who is anti-USA and who hasn't and will never live up to the Scout Oath and Scout Law in his life, then they aren't a place for my future children.
Scout Oath:
Quote:
On my honor, I'll do best to do my duty to God and my country.
To obey the Scout Law.
To help other people at all times.
To keep myself: physically, strong mentally awake and morally straight.
Scout Law:
Quote:
A Scout is:
  1. Trustworthy
  2. Loyal
  3. Helpful
  4. Friendly
  5. Courteous
  6. Kind
  7. Obedient
  8. Cheerful
  9. Thrifty
  10. Brave
  11. Clean
  12. Reverent
Now tell me, is Trump that? And were the scouts in attendance living up to their bond of their words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 01:21 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
I have to wonder if they really were listening. Large crowds like that you usually can't hear what's being said. I doubt a bunch of boys who were probably tired, a little squirrelly, and bored to tears heard much. I know they are scouts but still young rambunctious boys. What I don't get is how they got them clapping and booing. We're there "cheerleaders" to get them to do it. Was it in the sound system and cheering /booing piped in so crowd would hear it then they would clap/boo/chant along with "everyone else" I sure would like to hear from some adults that were witness to this.

Or am I being a too sceptical/Paranoid?

Old 07-28-2017, 05:30 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I have to wonder if they really were listening. Large crowds like that you usually can't hear what's being said. I doubt a bunch of boys who were probably tired, a little squirrelly, and bored to tears heard much. I know they are scouts but still young rambunctious boys. What I don't get is how they got them clapping and booing. We're there "cheerleaders" to get them to do it. Was it in the sound system and cheering /booing piped in so crowd would hear it then they would clap/boo/chant along with "everyone else" I sure would like to hear from some adults that were witness to this.

Or am I being a too sceptical/Paranoid?
It probably needs to be said that most Scouts are from conservative and conservative-leaning families, most Troops sponsored by conservative-leaning groups. Most Scouts probably hear more positive things about Trump than negative things at home, and most of them heard more negative things about Obama over most of their young lives.

So most of them probably didn't hear anything from Trump that they hadn't heard at home.

That would have been the first time they'd heard such things in a Scout event, but it would not have struck a lot of them as "wrong" because Scout leaders do not explicitly teach non-partisanship to Scouts as a Scout ideal--it's a policy for Scouters. Taking part in politics is something a Scout is taught as being a good citizen, although Scouters steer the Scouts away from it in Scouting events and activities.

It's not like in the military where we explicitly command, "No politics around the flagpole."

So my point is that the group of young boys were plump young virgins ripe to be carried away by the POTUS, if he chose to do so.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the BSA and the Scouts were the victims. None of the rest of us were victims.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 07-28-2017 at 05:39 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 05:33 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Observation on the weak apology from the BSA leadership.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...62981893111808

Old 07-28-2017, 05:38 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Observation on the weak apology from the BSA leadership.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...62981893111808

That's exactly what it should read like.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It probably needs to be said that most Scouts are from conservative and conservative-leaning families, most Troops sponsored by conservative-leaning groups. Most Scouts probably hear more positive things about Trump than negative things at home, and most of them heard more negative things about Obama over most of their young lives.

So most of them probably didn't hear anything from Trump that they hadn't heard at home.

That would have been the first time they'd heard such things in a Scout event, but it would not have struck a lot of them as "wrong" because Scout leaders do not explicitly teach non-partisanship to Scouts as a Scout ideal--it's a policy for Scouters. Taking part in politics is something a Scout is taught as being a good citizen, although Scouters steer the Scouts away from it in Scouting events and activities.

It's not like in the military where we explicitly command, "No politics around the flagpole."

So my point is that the group of young boys were plump virgins ripe to be led astray by the POTUS, if he chose to do so.

That Boy Scouts is a conservative-leaning group is not a deal breaker for liberal families. During my years of Cubs building fires in our backyard, most of the other volunteers were liberal-leaning. Higher up in the local hierarchy tended to be more conservative types.

Also, most of us knew that the Mormons tried to get the older boys to join their church's youth activities. Not a deal breaker. Came with the territory.

But it appears a lot of people draw the line at the organization supporting Trump's political proclivities.

On our neighborhood online discussion forum, people are urging others to understand that the local groups do a great job and are not involved in politics and that the fundraising goes to help local kids so please don't punish them for actions of the national organization.

Response has been about the local groups guaranteeing that all of the fundraising goes to the local groups' activities, which of course they cannot guarantee.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-28-2017 at 06:10 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Listen, I was a Boy Scout, my brother was a Boy Scout, my farther was a Boy Scout and an adult leader, my mother was an adulr leader too. ...

I'm not a liberal, I'm independent but I am anti-Trump and if the BSA is gonna side with someone who is anti-USA and who hasn't and will never live up to the Scout Oath and Scout Law in his life, then they aren't a place for my future children.

And were the scouts in attendance living up to their bond of their words?
I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat. Fond memories of what a big part Scouting played in their lives but appalled at this turn of events.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:13 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,473 times
Quote:

So my point is that the group of young boys were plump young virgins ripe to be carried away by the POTUS, if he chose to do so.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the BSA and the Scouts were the victims. None of the rest of us were victims.
Your last line says it all, they didn't and couldn't have known what Trump was going to say to the kids, but they seem to be taking more heat than the president. A lot of comments alluding to, "they should have known better", HUH??????? Maybe a 70 year old man, a father, the POTUS, should have known better? So it doesn't matter that the kids come from conservative, liberal, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, families the scouts are apolitical and non-denominational. Trump is the one who turned his opportunity to inspire youth to remember country and service, into his bully pulpit and self aggrandizing rally. That wasn't appropriate to the venue, Trump should be the one apologizing.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:18 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Your last line says it all, they didn't and couldn't have known what Trump was going to say to the kids, but they seem to be taking more heat than the president. A lot of comments alluding to, "they should have known better", HUH??????? Maybe a 70 year old man, a father, the POTUS, should have known better? So it doesn't matter that the kids come from conservative, liberal, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, families the scouts are apolitical and non-denominational. Trump is the one who turned his opportunity to inspire youth to remember country and service, into his bully pulpit and self aggrandizing rally. That wasn't appropriate to the venue, Trump should be the one apologizing.
They cheered enthusiastically and enjoyed the speech.
That should be the end of it. Fine group of young people those Boy Scouts. They will go on to "MAGA".

Old 07-28-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what it should read like.

Right now, many are associating Boy Scouts of America with being vocal, enthusiastic supporters of Trump.

Did the "clown showed up drunk" apology change that perception?

I suspect that most saw it as too little, too late. "We got caught and had to say something" was the way one guy put it.

How long this association will last and whether this will make a difference in sign-ups or fundraising remains to be seen.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-28-2017 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies