Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 06:53 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Those boys--most of them 13 to 15 years old--had been at a 10-day festival of "Yay, let's all do stuff together!" It was ten days of "Rah! Rah!" They had been primed to go wherever the guy at the microphone at the moment led them.

You're blaming the victim for the rape.
No in Trump's America, no in the scouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 07:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Trump was being Trump.

He was flanked by Price and Perry who were gushing and clapping like goofballs, as fearless leader turned a Jamboree into a political rally.

Politics and Boy Scouts don't mix. It's against the Rules and Regs of the Scouts.

The President of the Boy Scouts appologised.

Trump, not so much.

Silence from the former President of Boy Scouts, Tillersen.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Prime for additional Republican brain washing.

Remember just who is the BS's president. Obvious what the agenda here is. Two peas (capitalists) in a pod.
No, this isn't political, it's the messenger not the message, when George W spoke to the scouts, it was appropriate, non political and inspiring: https://bearingdrift.com/2017/07/25/...ss-boy-scouts/

As far as Randal Stephenson, what agenda are you talking about? Actually, Stephenson is an advocate for inclusivity in the BSA, whether or not you might agree with it, that sounds pretty progressive to me.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:09 AM

937 posts, read 699,093 times
The money agenda. $$$

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_L._Stephenson

Old 07-28-2017, 07:18 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But those activities go on.
And many people will focus on that and I hope they do.

But others are horrified by the direction Trump is taking our nation. No need to go into it here, plenty of threads on that.

So when the BSA leadership doesn't immediately recognize that this call-and-response, partisan political event was beyond the pale, then only reluctantly apologizes in response to criticism, one can't help but wonder if the BSA leadership supports Trump's agenda.

Then you start wondering why you would want your son to be involved in an organization that supports "fake media" attacks on our free press, where the organizations leaders don't have the courage that the pastor had in Flint, MI to step up and insist that Trump lay off bad mouthing Clinton and Obama and say something inspirational.

You wonder what BS leaders are talking with the kids about at the pack meetings and around those campfires.

When you buy BS popcorn, snacks, wreaths, tickets to the spaghetti dinner, fall leaf-blowing, spring mulch spreading, bulbs, barbecues, pancake breakfasts ... how much of that goes to support an alt-right political agenda?

I suspect that Trump-supporting families will wave this off and go on.

But many will file Boy Scouts of America under nothing we want anything to do with.

And that's a heartbreaker.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
What does his business affiliations have to do with the BSA? There's no political or financial advantage.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:29 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
An alt-right speech with dog whistles to racists would have been okay?

I don't know about that.
That doesn't have anything to do with what I wrote.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:30 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
And many people will focus on that and I hope they do.

But others are horrified by the direction Trump is taking our nation. No need to go into it here, plenty of threads on that.

So when the BSA leadership doesn't immediately recognize that this call-and-response, partisan political event was beyond the pale, then only reluctantly apologizes in response to criticism, one can't help but wonder if the BSA leadership supports Trump's agenda.

Then you start wondering why you would want your son to be involved in an organization that supports "fake media" attacks on our free press, where the organizations leaders don't have the courage that the pastor had in Flint, MI to step up and insist that Trump lay off bad mouthing Clinton and Obama and say something inspirational.

You wonder what BS leaders are talking with the kids about at the pack meetings and around those campfires.

When you buy BS popcorn, snacks, wreaths, tickets to the spaghetti dinner, fall leaf-blowing, spring mulch spreading, bulbs, barbecues, pancake breakfasts ... how much of that goes to support an alt-right political agenda?

I suspect that Trump-supporting families will wave this off and go on.

But many will file Boy Scouts of America under nothing we want anything to do with.

And that's a heartbreaker.
That is the ranting of someone who hated the BSA to begin with, crocodile tears not withstanding.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:35 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
It's obvious you're not going to be convinced of the BSA's innocence, but although scouting has national leadership, it is a local and regional organization. I was a troop committee member for many years as my kids grew up, I can tell you we had more than one discussion related to ethical and moral decisions as a troop. Our parents came from all walks in life and political views, but ultimately decisions were made with the boys best interests and the scout guidlines in mind. So, if you care about the organization and tenets of scouting, get involved at the local level, one speech by one a-hole isn't going to destroy an organization that has been in place as long, and survived controversies, as the BSA.
I and my husband were involved with Scouting for years. Kids are grown now and while waiting for grandbabies, I fritter my time away on this forum rather than anything actually productive.

This was more than just one speech by an a-hole, this was the BSA leadership giving a Trump a forum to promote his political agenda and standing by while the boys cheered and stomped. That they did not immediately recognize what a poor idea this was tells the story.

I doubt the organization will be destroyed.

But I suspect enrollment will decline. Lot of families will be reluctant to sign their sons up to have ethical and moral discussions with Scout leaders who stomp and cheer for Trump.

I suspect fundraising will be more challenging. I won't support an organization that supports Trump and gives Trump a forum to promote his political agenda to kids.

Based on what I've read, I'm not the only one.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:37 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Your last line says it all, they didn't and couldn't have known what Trump was going to say to the kids, but they seem to be taking more heat than the president. A lot of comments alluding to, "they should have known better", HUH??????? Maybe a 70 year old man, a father, the POTUS, should have known better? So it doesn't matter that the kids come from conservative, liberal, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, families the scouts are apolitical and non-denominational. Trump is the one who turned his opportunity to inspire youth to remember country and service, into his bully pulpit and self aggrandizing rally. That wasn't appropriate to the venue, Trump should be the one apologizing.
It's Trump, his track record kind of speaks for itself over the last two years. They're lucky he didn't go and pull the Cerebral Palsy crap used at a similar stump speech during February/March '16. If you think this firestorm is bad, it would be far worse and I would calling for apologies on all sides THAT night.

Last edited by mkpunk; 07-28-2017 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies