Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Few are still protesting police brutality, most players yesterday were protesting Trump.
Of course they are. This is about politics. Why do you think these players aren't calling out the people in charge of these police departments? I'll tell you why, because they would be calling out Democtrats and several prominent black politicians in those cities.

We keep hearing racism is cultural in these departments that have been controlled by Democrats for a very long time.

I'd love to know why Kaepernick didn't start questioning the mayor's of places like Baltimore and asking why he hadn't done anything.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Whatever people wrote the NFL rule book, knew that professional football is an entertainment industry. Strange that it has drifted farther and farther from that for the last year or so, and none of the rule enforcers seem to mind. Even as viewership declines, ticket sales plummet, and thousands write in to complain about whining crybabies dissing the National Anthem.

Where is the NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who fined Tom Brady hugely and suspended him for four games because some footballs didn't have enough air? And fought a million-dollar court fight to try to make it stick?

Who is this current "Commissioner" using the same name, and what did he do to the real Roger Goodell?

------------------------------------------------

https://news.grabien.com/story-roger...etting-players

(snip)

The NFL rule book specifically requires both teams appear on the field for the playing of the anthem, standing, remaining quiet, and holding their helmets in their left hands. Failure to do so can result in fines, suspensions, and the loss of draft picks.
The rules are found on pages A62-63 of the league’s game operations manual:

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.
During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.
then goodell is falling down on his job as commissioner, and needs to go now more than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
The game hasn't started yet so the players are not actually "on the clock" yet.

During warmups players do and wear all type of things that they couldn't do or wear during the game. Colored visors, wearing headphones, certain socks, non approved cleats etc. But once the game starts they have to be in compliance. Because they are not actually "on the clock: yet.
wrong wrong wrong. once the player enters the stadium locker room, they ARE on the clock. they have meetings about what the game plan is for the night, prepare for the game by dressing out, taping ankles, knees, elbows, etc. the clock of a player starts before the fans even enter the stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
the topic has been done to death so hopefully I don't get too wrapped up here. But just because a black person has a little NFL money doesn't mean they are immune to white supremacy. And it doesn't mean they have to give up ties to working class blacks. Sadly, sports is like the only chip on the table for blacks to use a leverage. And its still a small leverage. We saw change happen at Mizzou when most of the black players on the football threatened to sit out. We see here that all these rich athletes, still got had POTUS call them SOB's for exercising a right. When the POTUS basically says, you should be fired for peacefully exercising a right, at some point many of these black men remember that at the end of the day this is what America sees them as. Many of these black men have friends and family that are not rich and still live in working class black areas and deal with police harassment daily. So yeah, what truth? We're really dealing with peacefully being quiet and people it's drawing out more racists that violent protests. Let that sink in.

Anyways TLR....money doesn't buy you an oppression pass. Many of these guy are a knee injury away from being back on the street.

Anyways, he gave his opinion. He gave the same b-s opinions people give on here daily with theirfake outrage about "disrespecting" a piece of cloth and a song. The point OP was making is, "well it's coming from a black guy so I can't be racist". It's a pointless thread altogether.
its not the piece of cloth or the song, its what they stand for.

as for the president, he didnt call them SOBs, he said the COACHES and OWNERS should call them SOBs and fire them.

as i have said, the players certainly have the right to protest in any manner they choose as long as that protest is peaceful. no question of that. however their right to protest DOES NOT protect them from the consequences of that manner of protest. if your employer has set down a specific set of rules by which you will conduct business, but you want to protest something, and your manner of protest violates your employers rules, you can be fired because that is with in the rights of your employer.

your only protection when protesting peacefully is the government cant throw you in jail and prosecute you for protesting. but you certainly CAN be fired for violating team or league policies with your protest.

politics is getting far too ingrained in the sports world, and it needs to end. you want to protest the treatment, or perceived treatment, of blacks at the hands of the police? thats fine. there are plenty of avenues to do just that. there are talk shows, news shows, news papers, etc. get out on these outlets and make your case. kneeling during the national anthem? that is the wrong way to get your message out. kaeprnick tried that, and what happened? is message got lost in the uproar over his actions. but no one can see that because they are part of the uproar.

people complained about kaepernicks manner of protest, and the people defending kaepernick said he can protest in any manner he chooses, and the debate about how to protest was on, and the reason for t he protest got lost.

at the time kaepernick still had some star power, and could have properly shaped the protest, by getting his message out to the world, and we would be talking about that now instead of can he or cant he protest in what ever manner he chooses.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-25-2017 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted posts

Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So all football fans are at the games?

Funny, I thought they televised them as well.

Are you saying season ticket holders are not offended. I mean were those people you said were booing at the game not actual fans but plants paid for by Donald Trump?

Look if what you say is true then we should see empty stadiums across the country that would normally be filled. Maybe you are right. This Sunday will tell the truth.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Very well said. People dont like the reasoning why these players are protesting. Once the focus moves on that particular cause, the protests will end.
This has happened in the past also.
1968 Mexico City Olympics. I was not born at that time but I am sure that noone called for boycott of Olympics. Focus was on the reason why they did that.
I was around in 1968, in fact I was marching for Civil Rights in the late 60's. I watched this Olympics and saw the Black Power Fists in the air. You are correct, nobody called for "boycotts" of the Olympics - they didn't have to call for Boycotts - Juan Carlos & Tommie Smith were kicked out of the Games and out of Olympic Village. They broke the "rules - they then came back to the USA and faced condemnation. Smith and Carlos were largely ostracized by the US sporting establishment and they were subject to criticism. The 3rd person on that podium was Peter Norman, he won the Silver Medal and supported Carlos & Smith in their Activism - Norman was a White runner from Australia and while he wasn't ejected, he was denied a return to the Olympics by Australia. It was similar to the events of today -- including the Black Power Fists in the Air against the American Flag & Anthem. It boils down to not a "wrong action" as much as the Wrong Time & Place.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...man_1968cr.jpg

From TIME:
"Faster, Higher, Stronger" is the motto of the Olympic Games. "Angrier, nastier, uglier" better describes the scene in Mexico City last week. There, in the same stadium from which 6,200 pigeons swooped skyward to signify the opening of the "Peace Olympics," Sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos, two disaffected black athletes from the U.S. put on a public display of petulance that sparked one of the most unpleasant controversies in Olympic history and turned the high drama of the games into theater of the absurd.

They became "famous" and maybe that's what all this is really about - Kaepernick and others want to be "famous" and so they become kneelers and fist raisers. Maybe somebody in California will erect a 22' statue to them some day - 20-40 years from now. Hopefully one of these kneelers/fist raisers won't end up doing odd jobs and as a gardener.

Quote:
Now one more important question. As per NFL regulations, is their any ban on any type of political protests or message? If there is any Ban, this kneeling down will come in it??
Who knows - the NFL has rules against shoes that commemorate 9/11, and rules against a sticker on a helmet commemorating the Slaughter of Police officer by a BLM activist. They have a "rule" that says the Team/Coaches/Trainers have to be on the Field facing the US Flag, right hand over heart & Helmut in left hand - when the National Anthem is played before a game .... it's mostly a rule with no punishment, except for the "must be on the field" part. It's irrelevant at this point -- the NFL has condoned this Dis-Respect to the Flag & Anthem and so it will continue. The viewers, fans & public will judge them and they will remember.

The one thing the NFL should do is order the immediate removal of that hated/disrespected Flag from the helmets of all the Kneeler/Fister Teams. Anything less is just more blatant Hypocrisy.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-25-2017 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: hot linking and copyright violation

Old 09-25-2017, 01:48 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Perhaps you spend too much time looking at the people pointing, instead of looking at what they are pointing at.
Is it for police brutality?

Is it for police brutality against minorities only?

Is it against Trump?

Is is against Trump and the GOP?

What were the specific causes for the protest and what is the protest exactly about? What are the solutions moving forward?

I'm an anarchist. I don't even believe in the State. I don't acknowledge patriotism or the flag. I don't consider myself an American. I'm me.

You people know what an "extremist" I am.

I believe this is a matter between employers and employees.

Having said that, if something is going to get all this attention and there is a grievance (ESPECIALLY AGAINST THE STATE) I would love to know what it's about and what exactly is going to be done about it.

All this publicity, all this money, all this name recognition and nobody on any side of this debate has any idea what is going on.

And that goes for Trump too. He thinks they are kneeling to disrespect the flag? Well, the man is a lazy pot-stirring loon. If you make a big deal about the anthem and kneel and nobody has communicated anything of substance he will use it to make a statement of his own.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ah, see.

And then some say they are protesting police brutality and now some are protesting Trump.

This is a very vague and not very well-organized protest...whatever it may be for.
And Colin Kaepernick is no closer to getting his job back, though Josh Peter's in USA today argues that:

"In wake of President Trump's harsh words, it's time for NFL owners to sign Colin Kaepernick"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ick/698436001/

The only problem with that logic is that for all their anti-Trump hyperbole, teams want winning quarterbacks, not washed up, divisive lightning rods.

In the meantime Alejandro Villanueves made a powerful statement that caught the nation's eye.

Steeler Alejandro Villanueva's jersey sales jump after standing for anthem | TribLIVE

Old 09-25-2017, 01:51 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
The national anthem is literal garbage for people of color.
Yeah - we got that now. Thing is most people were not aware that "people of color" thought the US Flag and National Anthem were "garbage". I do wonder if all "people of color" think these kneelers/Fisters speak for them? Maybe - few seem to be objecting to this Dis-Respect .... so you are probably correct.

Now we know - and I believe you can count on us remembering. Thanks for the wake up call.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:52 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
As a libertarian it is very disappointing to see many conservatives who will lean libertarian at times go back to their statist roots on this one.

Liberals worship the State and agree with the stance the players are taking (whatever that is) so this one is an easy stance for them.
Who's gone back statist roots? I don't recall seeing anyone call for government intervention.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Are you saying season ticket holders are not offended. I mean were those people you said were booing at the game not actual fans but plants paid for by Donald Trump?

Look if what you say is true then we should see empty stadiums across the country that would normally be filled. Maybe you are right. This Sunday will tell the truth.
Why are games televised if all the fans are at the game?

Try to figure out the answer to that and hopefully a little logic might kick in for you.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:53 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Default ‘Sunday Night Football’ Ratings Down Again On Day Of Player Protests

Oh dear.

TV Ratings: ‘Sunday Night Football’ Down Again On Day Of Player Protests | Deadline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies