Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The answer to that is very clear. That was Trump the individual throwing out a question to the audience. And ten of millions of us agree with him strongly and applaud him for having the guts to say it.

Trump has never presumed or implied any authority to impose his will here.
You're making a very fair point. Trump the State servant has never presumed or implied any authority to impose State-force so I can see what you're saying.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again i get why kaepernick started his protest, but i have also said that message has long since gotten lost in the uproar over his manner pf protest

and it isnt about "a piece of cloth and a song" its about that that piece of cloth and song represent to the american people. many americans feel when you disrespect the flag or the national anthem, you disrespect america itself.

as for no rule on the NFL rule book, try again after reading this article;

https://news.grabien.com/story-roger...etting-players

so you want to try again? or do you wish to continue to fail? our choice.
actually there is NO rule in the rulebook address the national anthem. I already posted one article debunking that. I'll post another.

Here is what NFL rulebook says about the national anthem | The Kansas City Star

Quote:
There is no mention of the national anthem in the NFL rulebook. There are no pages A62 or A63, either.

Page 62 deals with a “Foul committed during passing play,” “Foul during a backward pass or fumble,” “Foul during free kick play” and “Four during scrimmage kick play.” Page 63 continues with the scrimmage kick play, and then deals with a “Dead ball foul and foul between downs.”
How about rules for before games?

Rule 17 is “Emergencies, Unfair Acts,” and Article Seven of that rule has the only mention of the word pre-game.

Quote:
The person most familiar with the 200-page document would be Troy Vincent, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. Vincent told The Sporting News in March that “the league didn’t discuss setting a standard protocol for all players during the pregame playing of the anthem.”
That Sporting News story said Vincent told Vic Carucci and Alex Marvez: “Frankly, the players have that right. They’re asked (to stand), but not required.”

When former San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat down during the playing on the national anthem last year, the NFL issued this statement said the same thing: “Players are encouraged but not required to stand during the playing of the national anthem.”

tangent closed.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is BS.

Trump is not an individual, a private citizen these days.

He is POTUS, God help us, and he is a POTUS 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sadly.
He's not using any executive orders or using government intervention to impose a change though.

I think this was Trump the private individual and not Trump the servant of the State speaking up on the matter.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I asked you to lay out your perfect 100% effective method of protest and you complained about BLM. If don't want to say anything real, then leave me alone. All you could do was the time honored tradition of deflecting to something else.

bye.
Just place me on your ignore list if I am so upsetting to you.

How to protest:
1. Apply for your permit.
2. Prepare a list of grievances and proposed remedies.
3. Have signs and handouts that properly convey these grievances and remedies.
4. Do not do things that negativity impact the general public such as stopping traffic or rioting.
5. Clean up after the protest.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:28 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you remember why Brady was suspended?

Apparently, the ball rules, for which he was penalized, fall under the NFL Game Operations manual.

'Deflate-Gate': What to Know About NFL Ball Rules - ABC News

Kind of odd that Goodell spend millions to enforce that part of the NFL Game Operations manual.
You're trying to compare something that is actually a part of the game, to kneeling. And again deflecting.

also, deflated footballs is actually in the NFL rulebook.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content..._2013_Ball.pdf

Quote:

Rule 2, Section 1 of the NFL Rule Book says that the balls must be a certain weight, length, width and even color.
The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell.
The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces.
The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game

Old 09-25-2017, 02:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is BS.

Trump is not an individual, a private citizen these days.

He is POTUS, God help us, and he is a POTUS 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sadly.

So, Obama should not have criticized the speech of any group because it would have been a breach of free speech?

Old 09-25-2017, 02:32 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes we are so they can keep kneeling and we can protest by not watching, not going to games, not buying the advertiser's product, not giving to the player's charity, not buying anything with the team logo, not buying anything the players endorse, booing them...
Then you will never know if fans in the stands choose to sit, go buy a dog, or to the bathroom, while the anthem is being played. Only players can dis the flag?

Do you think Patriotic fans should stop others from doing this? Does it only apply to players? Why are they held to higher standards than fans are?

Old 09-25-2017, 02:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nah.

It was a small handful of unpatriotic multi-millionaires who decided to take an American past time, and turn it into a political statement. Football brought people together until they decided to do that.

Trump, like most other Americans, simply stated about how he felt at what they did to ruin the sport experience.
This is what I've noticed. Trump said how many feel about the whole thing. Kaepernick is not even playing this year and many avoided him like a plague because of what he caused last year.
I wish sports and hollywood would stop using their celebrity status as a political soapbox. I miss the days they were there for entertainment purposes. A way for people to escape the crap of real life for just a couple of hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
National anthem...Redskins doing the 'Trump approved' linked arms..Oakland..sitting on the bench..lookin' hard.

Oakland wanted to stay in locker room...but they had to come out..the timing is different on the night games...they would have forfeited the coin toss and gotten a 15 yard penalty.

Word is...Oakland will win by....a lot.
They lost by a lot. 27 (Redskins)-10 (Raiders) lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
This whole thing is a mess...
I completely agree with you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Are you sure you watch the NFL?

Cause this appears to be video of the anthem at the Titans game and the players were not on the field
https://twitter.com/JasonWolf/status/912046807701708801
Meghan Linsey was booed for her actions.
https://twitter.com/NikkiGoeser/stat...69161647472640

The Titans did release a statement that stated:
"As a team, we wanted to be unified in our actions today. The players jointly decided this was the best course of action. Our commitment to the military and our community is resolute and the absence of our team for the national anthem shouldn't be misconstrued as unpatriotic.

The Tennesseean released an article that said that the Seahawks and Titans were texting each other from their perspective locker rooms and they jointly came to the decision to stay in the locker room during the Anthem and walk out arm in arm. Even one of the Titans player stated:
Quote:
Added Titans offensive tackle Jack Conklin, “It wasn’t meant to be disrespectful or anything. We were just focused on come in here and play as a team and not worry about it.”
Titans on national anthem protest: 'We wanted to show unity'

Not going to lie, I loved that the Titans beat the Seahawks, it was a good game. My Titans flag is flying proudly in my front yard in Seahawks country!

I do find Trump calling them SOB's wrong. That was way too far but he did state what many feel about the taking of the knee during the anthem. Which I share that they should not be taking a knee. That is my opinion though. It's going to come down to the owners saying what the teams need to do. After all, the players do work for them.
I do respect the teams who did stay in the locker room. The players who did decide to observe the National Anthem they have that right and choice to do so. As my friend pointed out this morning, they (some of the NFL players) wanted attention now what are they going to do with it?

Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM

You guys are a fountain of info.

So it's not in the rule book but then we find out action against Brady was taken from the operations manual where this edict appears.

I think it would behoove a journalist (and I use that term loosely) to ask the NFL why action was taken against Brady and not anybody involved in these protests.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Default NFL worker throws hat down and walks out...because of disrespectful players...

NFL Stadium worker walks out, throwing his hat on the ground .....because of the disrespectful ball players that refused to stand for the National Anthem.

“I took off my shirt, threw my Bills hat on the ground (and) walked out.”
Nikischer told the news station that he felt Bills players were being disrespectful with their failure to stand during the anthem, echoing statements made by President Donald Trump over the weekend in which he criticized players who have used the pre-game anthem for protest.

“That’s a total disrespect for our heritage,” Trump told a crowd gathered in Alabama on Friday. “That's a total disrespect for everything we stand for.”

NFL stadium worker quits job after national anthem protest | KIRO-TV

I think people are getting sick and tired of Hillary whiners, protesters who destroy confederate monuments and this garbage with the players.

Get back to football!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies