Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:03 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,453,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Whole NFL team to skip national anthem altogether | New York Post

Coach Tomlin says he won't play politics so they will skip the whole thing. Guess what? You just did play politics.

The team should be given a delay of game penalty and fined for not being on the field on game time ready to play as stated in the NFL rulebook. A forfeit would even be better.
I disagree..I think it is the perfect solution..give the media and the pundits nothing to rant about..oh wait...I guess they will still rant--but the team is there to play football. That's it.

The Steelers just told everyone involved to go take a hike.

BTW..what delay of game..as long as they are on the field when the whistle blows..is legal.

3,614 posts, read 1,743,267 times
I just won't watch. I am hoping for riots to break out as hordes of angry fans waving American flags storm the fields of play.

3,457 posts, read 1,460,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
True, spoiled athletes get away with things also. That doesn't change what Kapernick started protesting against, which was a society wide acceptance of cops shooting and killing black people without fear of prison time, but just the unemployment line if anything.

It has now morphed into players reacting to Trumps tweets, which are Trumps own fault. He will never learn when to keep his mouth shut, and apparently no one in the WH can figure out how to control him on this. So, he has made his own bed on this. It didn't involve him before he shot off his mouth, or fingers.

True, Trump is really hard to defend, I agree. I have tried to give that guy the benefit more than I can count but, Kaepernick hasn't been handled badly by police, he was fairly investigated and they didn't find enough evidence to convict. Case closed. He was investigated for sexual assault and treated fairly by police, and got a six-year contract after the fact, a decent paying contract at that. Why not advocate that not all police handle things badly?

Now he wears police as pigs on his feet. I don't think either of them has a clue. Just because I don't agree with Trump doesn't mean I agree with Kaepernick. I think he should shut up and play ball so that those of us who have police officers or military personnel in their family can still watch the damn game without getting a mixed message. Its a game, whats the point? Football as an avenue? Whats next the Oscars? LMAO! Oh yes, I guess it is. Unity would work better, we need to get past this divide and get on doing our best together.

If Trump is gone will it stop? It started before he was president, and I have a feeling it will be hereafter. What I want to know is how do we fix our country? Whereś the solution?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ation/7550297/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...isco/10373525/

Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,534,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
They are protesting while on the clock at their job. As I have said before Protest on your own time.
It's up to their private employer and their union to decide what is allowed/not allowed while they are "on the clock". I thought the GOP supports private enterprise with less government intrusion. Now we have the leader of the US government trying to intrude on private enterprise by telling the NFL leaders to fire players. And he's trying to strong arm the NFL into doing this by calling on protests against the NFL. This is government attempting to intrude into private businesses.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,761,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The current protests are against Trump's attempt to squash the players' Freedom of Speech. They are standing up against Trump's bullying attempts. They are supporting the US Constitution by supporting Freedom of Speech.
Nope. This is about disrespecting the country & the flag. They hate the country & are ashamed of it. I'm not. That's the dividing line.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:05 AM

426 posts, read 335,871 times
An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes. That's 3 hours of commercials. Screw the NFL.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:05 AM

210 posts, read 98,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Nope. This is about disrespecting the country & the flag. They hate the country & are ashamed of it. I'm not. That's the dividing line.
Do you think forced patriotism is really patriotism?

Old 09-24-2017, 11:06 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,460,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They can go on any TV, or radio program they want to get out their message, and protest. They can go on any street corner, or any public square, and protest. Instead they use MY TIME, and MONEY to protest when I am paying to be entertained, and relax. I don't want to view politics when trying to escape from it for a few hours.

Exactly my point. I pay you to play, not to wear pig socks and protest. Do it on your own time. I cant protest at work. Customers would boot me out of their house, and they should. I would. Rich people can really get away with a lot of sheet.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:07 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,145,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Exactly my point. I pay you to play, not to wear pig socks and protest. Do it on your own time. I cant protest at work. Customers would boot me out of their house, and they should. I would. Rich people can really get away with a lot of sheet.
Then don't pay. I don't

Old 09-24-2017, 11:07 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,743,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
I wonder if those same people would support a player of different faith expressing his religious beliefs at a football game? I know liberals in general support freedom of religion and expression. Although that's not going to stop some people being critical of Tebow's actions of course. But it works both ways, people have a right to be critical of Kapernick's protests. It's a free country and that's what is great about living here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza EL View Post
I think Trump is using the national anthem protest from sports athletes & mainstream media as a distraction to take our minds off critical issues. Please don't fall for his divisive tweets and stay focused on this Russia investigation, North Korea, Trump Care, Hurricane Maria, and etc.
Hurricane Maria is a Trump issue? Seeing how Trump has bravely led the recovery efforts of previous hurricanes this past month with strength and leadership with a strong government response I'm not worried.

N.Korea. If they keep it up they will be wiped off the map. Not worried there either.

ACA, is problematic but not of Trumps doing. If this legislation fails Trump will withhold funding ad the thing will collapse on its own

Russia investigation at best will reveal nothing, at worst it will mean Congress will censure Trump.

There ya' go, and you are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies