Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:55 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why are you the one thinking this is a government thing? why are you not reading the constitution for yourself and understanding it for yourself? yes we do love the constitution, but this is not about anything government related, and the constitution only limits what the government can do, not what private employers can do.

can a player protest? yes they can, can the team owner or the NFL commissioner punish the lpayer for that protest? YES THEY CAN.

again i remind you that with rights come responsibilities, and that freedom of speech does not include freedom from consequences.

for instance, lets say i owned a business, and i hired you as an employee and gave you a set of rules regarding your conduct while you were at work, including no protesting at work, and you violated that set of rules, i have the right to discipline you as i see fit, including firing you. the nfl is no different

and i agree, police do often need refresher courses ont hese things, but dont forget that often time the criminals drive the issue, not the cops. cops generally only escalate when the criminals do.
The bolded is all well and good and if the team owners want to fire or punish players, they can certainly try to do so. The players have contracts, agents, and lawyers and thus have a fair amount of bargaining power. Without the players, there is no football and the owners and sponsors have as much or more to lose as the individual players. Do you think an owner wants to come down hard on his players and **** off the entire league? Is he going to fire them all?

They aren't bus boys or pizza delivery guys. They are adult professionals and the industry depends on them.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:59 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
How does kneeling in front of a flag disrespect your country?
Did you not listen to the originator of this protest (whom all of the others are following) state why he refused to stand? He said he won't stand to show respect to a country that he feels is racist against blacks, etc. But you didn't need him for that. What do you think they are doing? Showing appreciation and praise for the flag and all it represents by refusing to stand when everyone else does and when that is the standard to show honors

Old 10-13-2017, 02:02 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Here is my solution:

1. Any player who wishes to remain in the locker room during the playing of the National Anthem, as a form of protest, or any other reason, is welcome to do so.

2. Any player who chooses to be on the field, ice, court, bench during the playing of the National Anthem will be required to stand.

3. Violation of these rules will result in a team penalty.

So, feel free to protest but do not expect paying customers, teams and sponsors to subsidize you.

Your cause on your time and your dime.
If any one of us is forced to pay respect to a symbol then NONE of us should pay respect to that symbol. Such a symbol does not reflect freedom or liberty. Shame.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Because the league condones and praises disrespect for a flag and the country it symbolizes that I fight for every day and for that many have given the ultimate sacrifice for.
Except, those people died for the freedom that these players have

Of course, that's assuming you mean Revolutionary war, War of 1812, Civil War, WW1, WW2 etc and not the political wars in Vietnam and the Middle East. Those people died because of US political and economic interests, not because they were protecting America.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:03 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Did you not listen to the originator of this protest (whom all of the others are following) state why he refused to stand? He said he won't stand to show respect to a country that he feels is racist against blacks, etc. But you didn't need him for that. What do you think they are doing? Showing appreciation and praise for the flag and all it represents by refusing to stand when everyone else does and when that is the standard to show honors
You don't even know why they are kneeling.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:04 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Good try, but wrong. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Refusing to express pride in a flag is a far cry from refusing to show respect.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:11 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Because the league condones and praises disrespect for a flag and the country it symbolizes that I fight for every day and for that many have given the ultimate sacrifice for.
You fought to restrict the free speech of fellow Americans? The day we require total and unwavering respect for anything in this country is the day we will all join hands with the North Koreans and sing com by ya---oh, and please ignore the gun pointed at your head if you refuse.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. This former Green Beret sees it differently: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...g-to-kneeling/

So do these veterans: https://theundefeated.com/features/a...in-kaepernick/

And this guy: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/29/nf...tests-kneeling

And this WWII vet: World War II Vet and Other Soldiers Take a Knee To Support NFL Players Against Trump

Protest is a form of patriotism. The fact that you don't like the form of the protest doesn't change that.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The bolded is all well and good and if the team owners want to fire or punish players, they can certainly try to do so. The players have contracts, agents, and lawyers and thus have a fair amount of bargaining power. Without the players, there is no football and the owners and sponsors have as much or more to lose as the individual players. Do you think an owner wants to come down hard on his players and **** off the entire league? Is he going to fire them all?

They aren't bus boys or pizza delivery guys. They are adult professionals and the industry depends on them.
the players can be replaced any time the owner wishes. how many former college players are out there that would give their left testicle to be on an NFL team? how many arena football players would do the same to be on an NFL team? how many CFL player would also do the same to be on an NFL team? and how many players in college right now would walk away from their college teams and join an NFL team if they were offered a contract?

remember kurt warner? he was a grocery clerk when the st louis cardinals tapped him to be their next quarterback, even though they had many other options available to them, and warner took the cardinals to two super bowls.

all these players are replaceable, and very quickly is an owner needs to replace them. and as much as i like dak prescott, and think he has a bright future ahead of him, if he were to disrespect the flag, i would expect jones to carry out his threat to bench him, and if he continued to do it, i would expect jones to drop his butt, and find a new quarterback.

these players make a ton of money from the fans on the game. WE drive their popularity, WE buy he products they hawk, WE donate to the charities they support, WE buy the tickets to the games. by the same token WE the fans expect the players to play the damned game and not mess with these silly protests when they put on their uniforms and go out on the field.

and remember that without the fans there is no football, and fans are harder to replace than players are.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:18 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Good try, but wrong. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Refusing to express pride in a flag is a far cry from refusing to show respect.
Oh, get real. Do you respect something that you don't have pride in? More specifically, do you think Kapernick is showing respecting with his comments and actions for a country he thinks is racist against blacks and others? We stand for the flag and anthem to show respect and pride in our country. The two go hand in hand in this instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies