Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:02 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, now the president isn't allowed to voice his opinion!
Surely that's not the case here. He's had the bully pulpit from day 1:

At Trump's bully pulpit, it's 'us' vs. 'them,' with race often used as a device to polarize

Quote:
For much of his time as president, Donald Trump has been the bully at the bully pulpit, castigating targets foreign and domestic. Much of Trump’s bluster attempts to divide people into us-against-them, and it often has a single polarizing agent: race.

On Friday night, as he has many times before, Trump inflamed an almost exclusively white Southern audience against opponents who he said were trying to steal their heritage and attack their values. In that Alabama speech and on Saturday, he criticized African American athletes who had exercised free speech by declining to stand during the national anthem.

His racially oriented statements seem to reflect Trump’s embrace of the world as it was decades ago when power was largely held by men like him. ...
At Trump's bully pulpit, it's 'us' vs. 'them,' with race often used as a device to polarize - LA Times

Old 10-14-2017, 12:22 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Your comment about NFL players being replaceable is noted. However replacing them with those that were once NFL rejects would drive the quality way down. Down so far fans would drop like flies, much more so then what we are seeing now.
It might change which team is more dominant than the other, but it won't chase away fans. If it did, no one would ever attend a Brown's game. I say they should get rid of anyone who is disgracing the other players who are proud of the country they live in.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:26 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
I'm glad the owners are not requiring the players to stand. That's as it should be. It would be wrong to even think of requiring them to expect this to happen.

What would be nice would be for the players to want to stand.

This all started with Kaepernick taking a knee or sitting or whatever he does.

The biggest problem here is those protesters have forgotten what they are even protesting.

When you have to explain why you're protesting when it's been going on this long, you've done something wrong.

They are protesting because of their hatred of Trump and their hatred of those of us who voted for him.

Kaepernick, their leader, is an idiot. He quotes Winston Churchill and shouts fascism while wearing a Fidel Castro shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaepernick
is an idiot

Old 10-14-2017, 12:56 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
It might change which team is more dominant than the other, but it won't chase away fans. If it did, no one would ever attend a Brown's game. I say they should get rid of anyone who is disgracing the other players who are proud of the country they live in.
Currently the worst team in the NFL would be far better then the best replacement player team that could ever be assembled.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I'm glad the owners are not requiring the players to stand. That's as it should be. It would be wrong to even think of requiring them to expect this to happen.

The biggest problem here is those protesters have forgotten what they are even protesting.

When you have to explain why you're protesting when it's been going on this long, you've done something wrong.

They are protesting because of their hatred of Trump and their hatred of those of us who voted for him.

Kaepernick, their leader, is an idiot. He quotes Winston Churchill and shouts fascism while wearing a Fidel Castro shirt.
And if any Houston players take a knee without punishment, I'm done with the NFL.

I have no problem going college only or even without.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:44 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Actually the reason they have to keep explaining why they are protesting is because people that can’t relate have been trying to discredit the cause any chance they get. If people tried to hear them it wouldn’t have to go this long.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:41 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I would like to see, at least on some teams, the team owner or coach go ahead and tell them that they are permitted to kneel during the anthem, but then just bench anyone who does it for the whole game, without telling them beforehand. Then they would surely get the message. And that would be the end of it, except for players that don't want to play, but still get paid. They won't be around long after that!

Old 10-14-2017, 05:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Currently the worst team in the NFL would be far better then the best replacement player team that could ever be assembled.
Hah. Alabama would wreak havoc in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ame-simulation

Old 10-14-2017, 06:05 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
“Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the national anthem,” Goodell said in a letter sent to owners on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/s...ling.html?_r=0

Jones, owner of the Cowboys, was clear that if they don't stand, they don't play.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...lowed-to-play/

Need to keep up.
It's also the law (link):

36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem

(a)Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem— (1) when the flag is displayed— (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:12 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
I don't understand this poll. I think that all employees can be fired for their political views, and the law agrees with me. However, I think that bringing in university professors is too much. Colleges and universities are supposed to be places for freethinking and new ideas. There is precedent and a certain acceptability for private religious colleges and universities to retain or dismiss faculty for their views if they do not align with the religious ethos of the school. However, secular schools should be open to almost all ideas, in my view.

With regard to NFL players, I think that if the owners had any guts, they would have found a way to put an end to these inappropriate political protests to bed a long time ago. Standing for the national anthem is an implied part of their job description. If I ran the NFL, I would have these players fired. The NFL seems to be afraid of the players, when they should really be afraid of the consumers and shareholders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies