Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 07:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Someday they will make a statue in his image - without his name underneath...just the word Ideologue.
I disagree with that analysis. Trump has no identifiable ideology, unless one considers egotism an ideology. There is no philosophical underpinning to his actions; they appear to spring up unpredictably and erratically from his subconscious.

I have been waiting for the President to demonstrate a larger vision to justify his bluster, but now well into his term of office, that seems unlikely. We are entering a very dangerous period with this man.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 12-21-2018 at 07:30 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 08:15 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Someday they will make a statue in his image - without his name underneath...just the word Ideologue.
Those who seek to depict justice Scalia as a "rubber stamp" in the mold of ether Sotomayor or Thomas should check the record a bit more closely; he maintained a far more autonomous stance as the Court degenerated toward partisanship.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/terry-...finest-opinion.

And in the notorious Kelo vs. New London decision, in which the use of the questionable concept of eminent domain was expanded to benefit private, rather than strictly public sector activity, Justice Scalia sided firmly with the individual in his dissent

There have been plenty of mediocrities on the Supreme Court, from both parties and subject to various ideological absolutes; Justice Scalia was not among them.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:45 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Anytime someone rejoices at the death of someone not similar to Manson, Hitler, Berkowitz or Stalin my suspicions go up.
I fully expect they’ll be dancing in the streets when Trump dies, like they did in England after Margaret Thatcher died.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I disagree with that analysis. Trump has no identifiable ideology, unless one considers egotism an ideology. There is no philosophical underpinning to his actions; they appear to spring up unpredictably and erratically from his subconscious.

I have been waiting for the President to demonstrate a larger vision to justify his bluster, but now well into his term of office, that seems unlikely. We are entering a very dangerous period with this man.
Did you not see this coming? Trump has always been about little but egotism and bluster. He has been this way for decades, and power rarely improves an individual's character. In any case, I think your description of the situation is accurate.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:47 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 6 hours ago)

5,791 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
What difference does it make when the joy over Scalia's death was expressed ? The point is simple and undeniable : there are people who were pleased as punch when Scalia died and there will be when RBG dies.
I'm sure there were people pleased at Scalia's death. I'm not gonna pull a No True Scotsman and say "They weren't true liberals/progressives". I fully admit they share many of my own political beliefs, but not my deep personality and sentiments. My conservative family members would be appalled at the prospect of, say, Obama, Clinton, etc. dying. They simply have enough common decency about them to look beyond the politics and see the ultimate personhood. I do likewise, even if I do castigate Trump for being the personality and deep sentiments that is is. I still don't wish death upon him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Did you not see this coming? Trump has always been about little but egotism and bluster. He has been this way for decades, and power rarely improves an individual's character. In any case, I think your description of the situation is accurate.
Apparently Yel didn't. Yel (In my estimation, but I could be mistaken) confused personal forcefulness, bulldozer personality, and cocky cutdown insults with "leadership material" - and all the same with being common-sense-oriented besides. Maybe Yel thought Trump would pivot to being more centrist, like a lot of his voters did.

Still, regardless of whether Yel thought this, this widespread claim two years ago is just part of a bigger cultural issue - our very criteria (though maybe not "definition") of what leadership is. At the very least, they confuse strength with bullying, and self-assertiveness with mere attack-dogism.

Unfortunately, not only is there no evidence that cutting personalized insults means a hero-warrior type is concerned for their own well being, there's plenty of evidence from the non-political world going against that assumption (see Wall St, Corporate CEO's, office politics, and even day-to-day social pecking order squabbles for details). The severity of Trump's insults is especially telling. If he's gonna be that callous about people he opposes, then he certainly isn't above pulling screw-jobs on his supporters. If we see it with toxic bosses in our workplace, then why does it not apply to higher positions of leadership?

Last edited by Phil75230; 12-22-2018 at 02:56 AM..

Old 12-22-2018, 05:19 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
After Scalia died, ultra rich ultra conservative donors bought off George Mason University
Translation of the bolded: Made a contribution I disagree with.

Quote:
with $30 million in donations in return for renaming their law school after Scalia. They asked that it be named:

Anthony
Scalia
School
Of
Law

How appropriate!!
No, they didn't.

They asked that it be named the Antonin Scalia School of Law.

The man's name was Antonin, not Anthony.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:14 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,407 times
This thread is proof of why we cannot allow the left to rule over us. Nasty people; not all but a lot.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:18 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
This thread is proof of why we cannot allow the left to rule over us. Nasty people; not all but a lot.
I am a hard-leftist but I hope I'm not nasty.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am a hard-leftist but I hope I'm not nasty.
You are a hard leftist that disagrees with RBG's votes and agrees with Antonin Scalia?

Ok.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:21 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
They're of the same mindset as Goebbels, Hitler, Stalin, and Mao....full of hatred and violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies