Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,201,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
So what is there to be done? Actions speak louder than words....I think that you will never change the way a person thinks. This isn't the Matrix where we can program the way men think. We, as women, need to be supportive of each other and just keep pushing the envelope. The dinosaurs will be extinct. Oh, and the jokes are just that...jokes. People tell lots of jokes, being overly sensitive is exactly what the jokers want.
I only pointed out the jokes because they show sexism is still alive and well. I'm not "sensitive" to them, I'm not her. There is a particular stupidity to many of the jokes about her that you don't see with jokes toward the other candidates. Real humor requires intelligence and creativity, fear based humor is usually pretty stupid and rarely actually funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 02:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
I only pointed out the jokes because they show sexism is still alive and well. I'm not "sensitive" to them, I'm not her. There is a particular stupidity to many of the jokes about her that you don't see with jokes toward the other candidates. Real humor requires intelligence and creativity, fear based humor is usually pretty stupid and rarely actually funny.
...yep, that's why they're so easy to ignore....

Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what I said a few posts back?? Anyway, I agree.
Probably, I have been saying it over and over since my original post, but people still keep replying "but were not the same" so I have to keep repeating it.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
...yep, that's why they're so easy to ignore....
True dat, as the youngins like to say

Old 03-13-2008, 02:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
No one said we were fighting for any particular rights today. I posed the original question because I wondered why the word feminist is viewed with such disdain. We were discussing the past in an appreciation for the work that past feminists have done to give women the rights they enjoy today. The purpose of equal rights is to level the playing field so the best person for any task can pursue it and achieve success w/o discrimination. All women should have the right to pursue their passion in life whatever it may be. Many women wish to focus their life on raising children and taking care of their family, others choose to pursue a career, and many choose to do both. These are all valid choices for a woman. The key to being a feminist is believing women have the right to make choices.
The word feminist is often used with disdain because many gender feminists were and are disdainful of others -- especially men, whom they view collectively as "oppressors" (as if men got together and held secret meetings); and women who disagree with their views.

Quote:
The point of the thread is to point out that a feminist is not necessarily an angry man hater.
Not necessarily; but many are. I note that you refrain from criticizing them. Why?

Quote:
It should also be noted that equal rights are not enjoyed by women all over the world, we are fortunate in the Western world.
It should also be noted that "equal rights" are not defined the same all over the world, and that we are in some ways the exception in the western world.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The word feminist is often used with disdain because many gender feminists were and are disdainful of others -- especially men, whom they view collectively as "oppressors" (as if men got together and held secret meetings); and women who disagree with their views.

In my life experience those are the minority, man bashing and feminism don't go together for me. I also respect women's right to view their place in life however they wish. I do criticize people who print incorrect statements though.

Not necessarily; but many are. I note that you refrain from criticizing them. Why?

Actually, I have strongly criticized man bashing in one of my earlier posts, I stated I did not tolerate it in my presence. Honestly, I though it was clear that I feel man bashing feminists are a problem. Please see my post below.

It should also be noted that "equal rights" are not defined the same all over the world, and that we are in some ways the exception in the western world.
I know that, I believe I mentioned things along that line in some of my posts.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:08 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Its true when I think f feminist I think of women who are militant, advesarial, and down right contemptuous of men or any women who don't agree with them. Gloria Stienman comes to mind. I myself have no issues with having a female as a boss. My wife is my partner and my equal in all decision making. We share in the house work and I do the yard work. Sometimes my wife even helps cut the grass. LOL
No I don't like stereo typical feminists. They are the same ugly beast that they rant about only of a different gender. Sexist is sexist no matter who is doing it. I have met some women who champion the rights of women and I respect them. They don't slander, stereotype, nor do they make every conversation a rant on the evils of all men.
For the militant type feminists try taking a valium, calm down and learn to approach a problem rationally.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
That is beautifully stated. I have so much appreciation for men like you.

I think it is very important for men and women to respect and appreciate each other. Women who are around me know me as the party pooper when it comes to male bashing jokes, I won't allow it in my presence. Women don't accept men insulting them with jokes, it goes both ways. this is the best time to be a woman, we can make our lives what we want so men deserve our respect.
Here is the post I referred to.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
so....what's a Feminazi?
A female supremist, I guess.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its true when I think f feminist I think of women who are militant, advesarial, and down right contemptuous of men or any women who don't agree with them. Gloria Stienman comes to mind. I myself have no issues with having a female as a boss. My wife is my partner and my equal in all decision making. We share in the house work and I do the yard work. Sometimes my wife even helps cut the grass. LOL
No I don't like stereo typical feminists. They are the same ugly beast that they rant about only of a different gender. Sexist is sexist no matter who is doing it. I have met some women who champion the rights of women and I respect them. They don't slander, stereotype, nor do they make every conversation a rant on the evils of all men.
For the militant type feminists try taking a valium, calm down and learn to approach a problem rationally.
I would think if these angry feminists are a majority they would have shown up on this thread, I haven't noticed any man bashing posts on this thread, the men and women have all pretty much said the same thing, except for the two people who believe modern women are going to die out and be replaced with patriarchal immigrants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies