Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:32 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
You must be under 30 years old. People cruised Whittier, Ventura, and Sunset until it was illegal. I cruised the Ave in my hometown every night from 16 to 20 y.o.
So a "rollin in my 64" type deal? Like a cholo thing? I think I get it now and yes that would be very old school OG to me.

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
I've lived in a city.
I've lived in suburbia.
I lived in the country.

In the country, not having a neighbor for miles is awesome. Had my own veggies and fruits even 2 apple trees.

Could walk into the woods and come back dragging a deer and have food for the week. Same in Turkey season.

Had places to ride quads dirtbikes and snowmobiles.

Places to shoot guns.

Half hour drive to wally world.

In the suburbs. Everything is densely packed together. Sure you can walk a couple blocks get to a restaraunt, a movie theater, a doctor's office, etc etc. Traffic congested horns honking.

City was even worse. Filthy. Graffiti. Bumper to bumper grid lock traffic. No respect shown to city transit. Buses subways and taxis. It's not yours to ruin or keep clean, no incentive to keep it clean. Just whip out the sharpie and write something nasty in the subway car. Have a scuzzy body odor reeking dude who's half drunk sit next to you. A suit and tie on the other side of you who bathed in Cologne...
Everyone in a rush to get to where they gotta go. I'm not opposed to that I'm in favor of 100mph speed limits on highways where it's conducive... but power walking on the sidewalk shoulder bumping others shouting and waving a cab down...

I wasn't a fan of the city.
Nor the suburbs.

Give me acreage. No neighbors for miles. So I may shoot targets in my back yard. Have friends over with bonfires. Throw stuff in and watch it explode. Rip around on quads and dirtbikes. Grow my fruits and veggies, hunt. And do so without being hassled by the fun police.

817 posts, read 753,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I don't know how widespread it is, but every once in awhile I like driving around on some gravel roads just to do something different. If I had something fun to drive, I would probably cruise around in that as well.

So basically you might go drive around for awhile just to get out of the house.
Gravel travel with a case of Bud Light

Old 08-03-2017, 08:33 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
And my own well and septic system. That way I'm not paying the city for water...

Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We have sections, not acreage. Look it up.
Sadly most rural sections have been broken up into smaller acreages and most cannot afford a full section or even a partial. I grew up on a quarter section which is 160 acres. FYI the whole country is divided into sections for mapping.

817 posts, read 753,530 times
Putting in a solid 8 or 10 at the plant, and heading over to Lucky's Tavern or The Bowlero Room after, makes you American to me

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I was born in Southern California and spent most of my youth in Phoenix, living in suburban style subdivisions. Never heard anything about cruising. Maybe it is the terminology that I don't understand. It sounds like you are talking about the groups of people hanging out in parking lots showing off their low riders. Is that right?
Has it not been significantly explained to you in the several different posts about cruising? If not google is your friend.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:36 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,689,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I've lived in a city.
I've lived in suburbia.
I lived in the country.

In the country, not having a neighbor for miles is awesome. Had my own veggies and fruits even 2 apple trees.

Could walk into the woods and come back dragging a deer and have food for the week. Same in Turkey season.

Places to shoot guns.

In the suburbs. Everything is densely packed together. Sure you can walk a couple blocks get to a restaraunt, a movie theater, a doctor's office, etc etc. Traffic congested horns honking.

City was even worse. Filthy. Graffiti. Bumper to bumper grid lock traffic. No respect shown to city transit. Buses subways and taxis. It's not yours to ruin or keep clean, no incentive to keep it clean. Just whip out the sharpie and write something nasty in the subway car. Have a scuzzy body odor reeking dude who's half drunk sit next to you. A suit and tie on the other side of you who bathed in Cologne...
Everyone in a rush to get to where they gotta go. I'm not opposed to that I'm in favor of 100mph speed limits on highways where it's conducive... but power walking on the sidewalk shoulder bumping others shouting and waving a cab down...

Nor the suburbs.

Give me acreage. No neighbors for miles. So I may shoot targets in my back yard. Have friends over with bonfires. Throw stuff in and watch it explode. Rip around on quads and dirtbikes. Grow my fruits and veggies, hunt. And do so without being hassled by the fun police.
The space is the best thing about rural living. If I couldn't live rural, I would want to live in a city. What is the point of a suburb? You don't have the space nor the convenience. This is why I absolutely despise subdivisions.

My plan is to work about 6 more years & then move back to where I grew up & buy all the acreage I want & build a house on it.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:36 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Not nearly to the extent that the media and urbanites trash rural culture. Both have their problems but I don't care if someone drives a truck to a country music concert or if they go to a wine tasting, I would be up for both. Politics aside people should be a bit more open to understanding different American cultures. A lot of old southern rock was actually liberal/redneck and somehow it worked.

This is how I know it has to be a sort of racism on their part. A lot of the Southern rock scene and the south in general is very live and let live, can be very hippie with a redneck twist and open to all people to have a good time. Yet even if they see a ZZ Top or a white guy that looks like Willie Nelson they would probably still have animosity toward them because they assume, due to the media, that that person will be racist and represent all that is wrong with America.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I've lived in a city.
I've lived in suburbia.
I lived in the country.

Places to shoot guns.

Nor the suburbs.

It's good that you enjoy living the country. But some of us would rather live in an urban area. Nothing wrong with that. You are not superior to us just as we are not superior to you. You cannot force your way of life on us just as we can't force ours on you. Our value as American citizens is the same as yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies