Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:12 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I don't like this kind of vacations. I prefer to buy expensive collectibles. It's fun and the money is not going away.
If the two are mutually exclusive, perhaps you shouldn't be doing either. Unless these collectibles are an income stream. If they aren't, perhaps your money should go to something that is. I have collectibles too. The problem is, I never plan on selling them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Skiing is pretty much a white mans hobby. I have been to pretty much all CO ski resorts, and hear all kinds of European accents, probably tourists. They don't go to Aspen because its farther, overpriced, and the skiing is better at many other resorts.
I love skiing, that being said, Aspen in the summer is a whole different animal.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:15 PM

606 posts, read 355,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Funny, I'm spending the week in Aspen, and it doesn't seem like like there are many immigrants here.
Same with The Hamptons and Palm Beach. There are people from other countries who own vacation homes, but not many immigrants. Just a bunch of white people with no foreign accents.
Meh. Immigrants don't travel the same way upper class whites do. Lots of them don't ski, and if they want a beach, they're not going to Florida. Palm Beach, the Hamptons, and Aspen are just as much about the social scenes of the upper echelon as they are about the actual places.

Also, a lot of immigrants that have the money to travel luxuriously can't bring themselves to spend the money on ultra high end destinations and properties when you can spend less and still have a decent vacation.

My parents immigrated here, worked hard, and have a fairly high net worth. They would never spend the money to stay at a Four Seasons or Ritz even though they have it. They just could not drop that kind of cash without feeling guilty to the point that they wouldn't even enjoy it.

Also, this is purely anecdotal, but I've noticed that white people have different tastes than immigrants, and children of immigrants. I've noticed a lot of my white friends tend to frequent the same destinations over and over. Lots of them have property, or have the desire to buy property in these destinations. Immigrants and children of immigrants tend to spread themselves out more and tend to not to repeat vacation destinations too frequently. Sorry if this is offensive in anyway to anyone. I know it's not true for everyone, but it's just something I've observed in my own experience.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Skiing is pretty much a white mans hobby. I have been to pretty much all CO ski resorts, and hear all kinds of European accents, probably tourists. They don't go to Aspen because its farther, overpriced, and the skiing is better at many other resorts.
On the West Coast, Whistler seems to be more popular than CO. Just my observation.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:17 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
I also heard that many white families make more than brown families.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:19 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Meh. Immigrants don't travel the same way upper class whites do. Lots of them don't ski, and if they want a beach, they're not going to Florida. Palm Beach, the Hamptons, and Aspen are just as much about the social scenes of the upper echelon as they are about the actual places.

Also, a lot of immigrants that have the money to travel luxuriously can't bring themselves to spend the money on ultra high end destinations and properties when you can spend less and still have a decent vacation.

My parents immigrated here, worked hard, and have a fairly high net worth. They would never spend the money to stay at a Four Seasons or Ritz even though they have it. They just could not drop that kind of cash without feeling guilty to the point that they wouldn't even enjoy it.

Also, this is purely anecdotal, but I've noticed that white people have different tastes than immigrants, and children of immigrants. I've noticed a lot of my white friends tend to frequent the same destinations over and over. Lots of them have property, or have the desire to buy property in these destinations. Immigrants and children of immigrants tend to spread themselves out more and tend to not to repeat vacation destinations too frequently. Sorry if this is offensive in anyway to anyone. I know it's not true for everyone, but it's just something I've observed in my own experience.
I think it just comes down to personal preferences. I know of lots of really wealthy white folks pulling in at least $1m/year (not even that remarkable in bay area really) and they just don't do vacations. One of my friends just holes up in a resort in Hawaii once a year with his family... not even weekend trips. Why? he already travels so much in his job he'd rather spend his free time at home.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
On the West Coast, Whistler seems to be more popular than CO. Just my observation.
Yes, I hear good things about Whistler. Never been there because its so far from the East coast. Utah is nice, because you can stay downtown and drive to 7-8 resorts in less than 30 mins. Lake Tahoe is good skiing too, with nice scenery.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:21 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If the two are mutually exclusive, perhaps you shouldn't be doing either. Unless these collectibles are an income stream. If they aren't, perhaps your money should go to something that is. I have collectibles too. The problem is, I never plan on selling them.
I don't like vacations in this kind of places. If I go to vacation, I go to Israel to hike in Haifa or the Negev.
I don't plan to sell it also, they will go to my kids.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I think it just comes down to personal preferences. I know of lots of really wealthy white folks pulling in at least $1m/year (not even that remarkable in bay area really) and they just don't do vacations. One of my friends just holes up in a resort in Hawaii once a year with his family... not even weekend trips. Why? he already travels so much in his job he'd rather spend his free time at home.
There may be something to that. My spouse travels five weeks out of six. When he's home, he wants to sleep in his own bed and eat home-cooked meals. The last thing he wants is to get on another flippin' plane or drive to a vacation house. It feels too much like work. I actually take trips on my own occasionally for this very reason.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:26 PM

I think people are getting too caught up in the specific places I mentioned. I could have just as easily have been talking about Nantucket, Sedona, or Jackson Hole. The point wasn't about the beach or skiing. The point was about the gathering places of the wealthy in America. These places are dominated by Americans, not immigrants. Some of it has been explained by some of the posters here, but not all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies