Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:16 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Or anyone from Britain prior to about 1789. That makes up a lot of ancestry in America.
Wouldn't that mean that our ancestors were immigrants? According to law anyway, if you are born here you are a citizen. If both of your parents are citizens then you are also a citizen and don't need to immigrate to the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 04:17 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Illegal or legal immigrants? How many working adults in the household?
?

Old 08-08-2017, 04:33 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
A lot of people are worried about it. Why is it okay for Asians to make the most money b ut not okay for whites to even be in 2nd? Is it okay with you to end affirmative action?
I never said it wasn't okay for anyone to make money. I was saying so what? We have immigrants making more money than Blacks born in America. I know this as a Black person. Not my concern. I'm concerned about getting mine. If some person from India or Japan is making more money than me? Fine. Good for that person. If they worked hard for it, fine. I'm happy for them. Someone from abroad making more money than me isn't a big deal. Me not having a job is my concern. I've met immigrants who made more money than me.

And I wasn't saying anything about affirmative action. My point is that we don't need anyone trying to turn the clock back. I'm not about to let the 1950s come back. Never.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:06 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
I remember watching a special program over twenty years ago. The main topic was the amount of American tax dollars that went to educate foreigners in other countries and bring them here to work. I do remember one fact that 66% of all our tax dollars for education went to educate those in foreign lands. I also remember the classes filled with students from India. I was shocked.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:15 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I remember watching a special program over twenty years ago. The main topic was the amount of American tax dollars that went to educate foreigners in other countries and bring them here to work. I do remember one fact that 66% of all our tax dollars for education went to educate those in foreign lands. I also remember the classes filled with students from India. I was shocked.
I know what you are talking about. This is exactly why I believe taxpayers should be able to designate how our tax dollars are spent.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:16 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
mind sharing the stats? I know USAID offers scholarships but 66% of education budget? that's not believable unless you cite your reference.

maybe 66% of foreign aid goes to Israel and Egypt? that's more believable than 66% of education dollars

Old 08-08-2017, 05:18 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yes, I agree with you. No Jim Crow and an end to discrimination like in college admissions!

https://www.city-journal.org/html/fe...ply-14180.html
Thanks for bringing this up. Asian students are the most discriminated in this country, but we don't hear about that because they are too busy working hard to have time for whining and rioting.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:18 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
In my old town, which my generation built up with business and investment, the Americans "serve" the immigrants. The customers at these high end shops and restaurants are mostly immigrants and the servers are Americans. That pretty much says it all.
are you saying that the people of your old town were lazy or uneducated ? and the new arrivals just work hard and have better educations? or are you trying to imply something else i am not really sure.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
mind sharing the stats? I know USAID offers scholarships but 66% of education budget? that's not believable unless you cite your reference.

maybe 66% of foreign aid goes to Israel and Egypt? that's more believable than 66% of education dollars
I agree. That figure doesn't pass the smell test.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:49 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMind View Post
Median household income in 2015 by origin:

https://m.imgur.com/a/oYhSo
sigh you mixed in race with ancestry. That's not how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies