Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:31 PM

613 posts, read 463,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I haven't gone to the movies much in a couple of years, this year has been absolutely terrible. Even a lot of the movies that the so called "experts" said were good weren't that good really. A great example is the movie Get Out which came out early in the year. It's extremely overrated and much weaker than many other mystery/thriller movies.
The article is specifically talking about summer movies, yet you bring up a movie that came out in February for........absolutely no reason. I see you.

Quote:
“Smaller movies became very profitable, and the films that took risks were rewarded.”
And there you have it. The era of sequels and remakes is coming to an end. People want original stories. Studios should take chances again.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:36 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Isn't helping matters that most of the so called "top" actors in Hollywood are middle aged to approaching elderly; and yet they still keep casting them in role such as superhero.

Tom Cruise's acting skills were never that great IMHO, but that he still is considered top box office "super star" is mind boggling.

Added to this as others have said the content coming out of Hollywood today simply stinks.

Thanks to OTA broadcast channels like Movies! get to see tons of great older films, some from late as the 1970's. They all are streets better than the garbage that comes out of Hollywood today.

Stayed up last night to watch (again) The Rose Tattoo; great stuff.

Even if you wanted to do that film today; who could replace Anna Magnani?
90% of what i watch is DVD and BD's of 70's tv shows and movies.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:43 PM

613 posts, read 463,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Which movie came out this year or even last year to smear trump?

Please, interested, I'd like to download it.
Seriously. A movie like that doesn't exist but it should. Trump is beyond terrible and people should be shamed for supporting him.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:51 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Seriously. A movie like that doesn't exist but it should. Trump is beyond terrible and people should be shamed for supporting him.

Since nearly all the major Hollywood studios are part of major international entertainment conglomerates (Disney, Time Warner, Fox, Universal...) likely none would be "allowed" to do such a thing by their CEO's. Thus we can only hope an independent comes along. But even there you know how big money can interfere, strangle and kill off anything it doesn't like.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:52 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
It's silly this topic is even in the Politics forum. Hollywood continues to decline financially due to digital downloads/bootlegs and that has been the case for years.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
To a certain extent I can put an actor's (or writer's) politics to the side...I've long known that Stephen King hates everything Republican but damn he's such a good writer....but at some point, there comes a time when a celebrity has gone so far off the deep end that I will not see anything that they are in, no matter how much I might like their costars or the plot of the movie.

Example of an actor I have refused to see for over a decade: Tom Cruise

Even if you told me that the movie was free to watch and that you would supply the popcorn and pop, I still would not watch a movie with Tom Cruise in it. His mouth ran so much that I actually feel repulsed when I see him.

That's fast happening with de Niro for me. I'm actually getting to the point that I feel nothing but disgust when I see de Niro...and that sucks because there are some old movies that I like...but I don't want to even look at him, he's such an egotistical blowhard.

I usually give more leeway to female celebrities because most of them are batspit crazy anyway, and we already knew that, but some of them push it, too. Madonna...man, when I was a little kid, I liked her. Now? If someone told me that Madonna was "over there" and wanted to meet me, I'd pass. No, she's gross as hell now. Her mouth was already disgusting before, now she's beyond that.

I'm still giving Depp a chance...he apologized for his stupid remark and I feel that he meant that apology, unlike Kathy Griffen and her fake apology.

I mean, even Ellen...ELLEN of all people...is really starting to disgust me with her anti-Trump BS. She's got to recognize that she had people from all sides, left, right, middle, none of the above who liked her...but she has chosen to alienate a big segment of her audience anyway. That shows stupidity...which I find highly unfavorable and the pity soon turns to disgust, as well.

Top off the fact that people are getting sick and tired of Hollyweird pontificating...oh yeah, what'shisface...Ben Affleck...never again will I watch anything that he's in after he actually tried to debate someone on politics and he was so f-en STUPID I couldn't even stand it and cannot take him seriously at all anymore...but beyond just being sick of Hollyweird alienating half of their audience...seriously, do they not think that Conservatives or Independents watch movies or listen to music or read their books? Did they not learn from the Dixie Chicks what happens when you **** off the people who support you by going to see your work?

Beyond that, Hollyweird offers nothing original anymore. It's remakes of everything. It's Jurassic Park 13, it's how many fricken Batmans, it's movies done in the olden days redone today....WHERE IS THE ORIGINALITY, HOLLYWOOD?

It's plastic, auto-tuned "performance" artists who have to strip down to almost completely naked just to get people to show up to their concerts. That's all they have to offer...what they look like because they don't actually have any talent. It's the same old story written over and over again by authors, or yet another autobiography...oh LORD the narcissism is too much.

I get my entertainment now by watching actual original content by YouTubers who create some of the most hilarious short films ever, or have some of the best comedic skits I've ever seen, or I read books by indie authors who self-publish on Amazon and are far, far better than the well-known authors, or I watch the talent shows to listen to someone who can sing way better than those who are paid millions to skip around a stage half dressed.

The people in Hollywood better get their ish together. Their old way of doing things is dying. People aren't accepting it anymore. There are alternatives. There are real people, not reality shows, actual real people doing far more unique, clever, creative, and interesting things than Hollywood has shown for a very long time, there are singers who are unbelievably better than the trash Hollywood trots out in front of us, and there are far better authors than what you'll find on the NYTimes Best Seller's list of more "look at me, here's my life, look at how much I've struggled...give me my badge" books.

**YouTube is one platform. There are several video platforms, right now YouTube is the biggest...right now.
**Amazon allows authors to self-publish and indie authors have found great sales that way. Remember that movie "The Help"? Yeah, I read that book years before the movie came out when the author was an indie author and self-published on Amazon for the Kindle.
**And talent shows allow us to see musicians raw...the best way that they can be before Hollyfools take them on, spray paint them, chop, dye, and add on fake hair, wrap them in plastic, turn on the autotune, and shove them on to the stage in front of us telling them "sing these words".

This is Hollywood's own fault. I do not feel sorry for them. We are tired of trash.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:42 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Not one little bit. Enjoy your new president, President Donald J. Trump. He's #MAGA and you're coming along for that ride whether you like it or not.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:43 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Leave it to the City Data Politics forums, a cesspool of right-wing conspiracy theories and fact-free drivel, to try to link Hollywood's poor performance this year to "dirty liberal movies."

Nope, that's not it. Do you want to know why Hollywood is doing poorly this year?

Because the movies they produced sucked.

Really, is anyone surprised by this? We have the 5th installment of the horrible Transformer's franchise, and it was so mind-boggling bad it made the others look good. We had a horrible Aliens follow-up to the staggeringly bad "Prometheus," a movie so incomprehensibly illogical and horrible I consider it a modern standard against which all bad, big-budget sci-fi must be measured. We had pointless drek like the "Emoji" movie - a movie about nothing for no one. We've had movies based on video games, horrible attempts at crude, "funny" movies, uncreative horror movies, and demented things like "Boss Baby," a movie for which even the preview will leave you baffled as to why it was made.

This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with money. Why? Because in most cases, no matter how horrible the movie, it will still do well enough at the box office to make it profitable and justify another low-risk follow. Transformers 5 flopped - but the previous 3 ones were almost as bad and made huge piles of money. The only thing "new" this year is apparently Hollywood has finally set the bar low enough that even the easily amused and duped (Trump) American people are tired of spending money to see crap on the big screen.

The real irony? Two of the best movies in the past 8 months have been Rogue One and Wonder Woman... movies that both have strong female leads in roles other than bimbo or eye-candy. So, either "dirty liberals" aren't ruining movies and making them flop with their "evil ways," or American isn't as full of right-wing extremists as some would like to hope.
Good post, but did you have to spend your valuable money/time watching any of those movies to know they were bad? I haven't seen any of them, and I could have told you that.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
That happens when you politicize movies and insult half the country.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mmer-from-hell
Oh please. It's not the "politics" in moines. That's a load of ****. Watch most movies; there is not some overt political tone in the majority of these films.

The problem is that original scripts are seldom written or, even more rare, used. A huge amount of movies are part of already established franchises, and while successful, this makes hard for standalone film to stand out, and given that even films with potential (like Passengers) often fall short of any groundbreaking cinema, these movies just aren't that successful.

And many feel fatigued when they're given another Star Wars or Marvel film. Some of them aren't bad, but the hype really dies down when things become repetitive.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:47 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not one little bit. Enjoy your new president, President Donald J. Trump. He's #MAGA and you're coming along for that ride whether you like it or not.
Since you seem to be in with the Donald, I have been wondering what does the J stand for, the obvious answer would be Jackass but I am sure is could be something else. Your boy will not even finish his first term, enjoy that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies