Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:28 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times

Advertisements

Where's the movement to remove the statues & memorials celebrating the New York City draft riots? If one does not exist, one should be immediately created.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
There are no statues of Hitler in Germany. It's certainly a large part of their history and at one time Hitler was very very popular with the German people.
Was Hitler a president of a German university after World War 2, as Robert E. Lee was the president of an American university after the Civil War? To act like Robert E Lee is some pariah of American history is completely inaccurate.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,628,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Where's the movement to remove the statues & memorials celebrating the New York City draft riots? If one does not exist, one should be immediately created.
Go ahead

Old 08-15-2017, 05:51 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Was Hitler a president of a German university after World War 2, as Robert E. Lee was the president of an American university after the Civil War? To act like Robert E Lee is some pariah of American history is completely inaccurate.
See, this is the problem. The Confederate leaders and generals should have been held accountable. But no, Robert E. Lee becomes the president of a university.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:59 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
See, this is the problem. The Confederate leaders and generals should have been held accountable. But no, Robert E. Lee becomes the president of a university.
Lee should have been tried and punished for what he did. It was treason. At the least he should have gotten life in prison. At worst there should have been an execution.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
And this is something that I don't get about this controversy: the people who fought in the Civil War, and had friends and family who died in the war, didn't have half as much rancor toward the Confederates as you guys do one hundred and fifty years after the fact.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
For those who try not to understanding....
Let me give it to you in simple terms:

TREASONOUS CONDUCT AGAINST THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - IS:

That which involves all attempts to defeat, by force or menace, the execution of any act of Congress in any of our States, all efforts to break up the Union by menace or force, all those acts are, by our law, treason, whether done by private persons, or armed men.
Yes, but do remind us: who was convicted of treason?

Old 08-15-2017, 07:04 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
I view the problem as twofold, it was a problem to believe one could own another as property. This problem was compounded by the refusal to admit it was a grave mistake. Everyone was diminished.

The other problem was the American Civil War itself, it was a serious mistake. This problem was further compounded by the refusal to admit it was a serious mistake. No one won, the only reason to celebrate is that it ended.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:52 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I view the problem as twofold, it was a problem to believe one could own another as property. This problem was compounded by the refusal to admit it was a grave mistake. Everyone was diminished.

The other problem was the American Civil War itself, it was a serious mistake. This problem was further compounded by the refusal to admit it was a serious mistake. No one won, the only reason to celebrate is that it ended.
There is something about changing history. I was always told that I was born in the Lee Memorial Hospital in Norfolk, VA. I never lived in Norfolk other than the first few months of my life. However; if you now try to use Google to find where I was born it is not easy. Histories have changed to reflect current feelings - perhaps I am not a great researcher. Or, perhaps, I was hatched instead of born?

When I visited my grandparents in Norfolk when very young; I remember segregated restrooms on the ferry from the Delmarva Peninsula to the mainland. But our search engines have forgotten or now misdirect you. Does that mean it never happened and I have a poor memory?

I just think it is a bad idea to forget where we came from. I feel that we would be open to repeating our mistakes.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,406,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
And this is something that I don't get about this controversy: the people who fought in the Civil War, and had friends and family who died in the war, didn't have half as much rancor toward the Confederates as you guys do one hundred and fifty years after the fact.
Well stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.