Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
So how much do you charge for your seances?
Huh? I know how much I paid for my history books, if you're interested. But something tells me that you're not into the whole "history" and "book" thing.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,406,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Son we have continued with the practice of slavery.
It would had ended a long, long time ago. Many experts believe it wouldn't have lasted much longer than it did.

My personal beliefs: I would had hated it and would had wanted it to end as soon as possible, pretty much like how I would like Abortion to end today.

But definitely not the way Lincoln did it...

Old 08-15-2017, 09:41 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
It would had ended a long, long time ago. Many experts believe it wouldn't have lasted much longer than it did.

My personal beliefs: I would had hated it and would had wanted it to end as soon as possible, pretty much like how I would like Abortion to end today.

But definitely not the way Lincoln chose it...
The south/confederacy wanted slavery to continue into oblivion. They said it themselves. Their entire economy was built around slavery. This is not an endorsement of the north either. The south literally had slavery on their money like it was a bald eagle or the statue of liberty.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:42 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Barack HUSSEIN obama has NEVER denounced "radical Islamic terrorism" and neither has Hillary Clinton. Neither has Obama never denounced the violent BLM protesters in Baltimore and Ferguson.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
The south/confederacy wanted slavery to continue into oblivion.
Some may have "wanted" it that way (leaders included), but it would not have. But, of course, we could debate that into the wee hours...

Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 PM

On the subject of Lee, here is a little quick something that may help some understand Lee a little better:

--"Lee on April 18 was offered by presidential advisor Francis P. Blair a role as major general to command the defense of Washington. He replied:

Mr. Blair, I look upon secession as anarchy. If I owned the four millions of slaves in the South I would sacrifice them all to the Union; but how can I draw my sword upon Virginia, my native state?"--

Old 08-15-2017, 10:20 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
No matter what you do or what you say you can not erase history. You can learn from history and these statutes should be used as a learning tool on why slavery is horrible and we should never forget that. Anyone ever wonder why the labor camps and death camps are still standing in Europe, it isn't to make them into a 6 Flags one day.
In Germany there are no high schools named Hitler, you are not permitted to wear a Nazi or SS uniform, there are no monuments to Romel.

It is right to keep evidence of what was wrong so we too should keep evidence of slavery as a reminder.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:06 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Americans were fighting Americans. Society, and to an extent our Government wanted the nation to HEAL after the war. The Southern soldiers were allowed to move on with their lives as Americans. That is why the statues were erected. To try to allow the healing process, and acknowledge, and remember what happened so it would not happen again. Now, out of anger, and defeat the Left is grasping at straws to remain relevant, and going after harmless statues that are hundreds of years old.

Sad, and pathetic. That's all you have?

Old 08-16-2017, 05:45 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I view the problem as twofold, it was a problem to believe one could own another as property. This problem was compounded by the refusal to admit it was a grave mistake. Everyone was diminished.

The other problem was the American Civil War itself, it was a serious mistake. This problem was further compounded by the refusal to admit it was a serious mistake. No one won, the only reason to celebrate is that it ended.
The way I see it, mercy was given to the South after the Civil War to keep some people happy. I say traitors need to face punishment. In some ways, it isn't only about the refusal to admit that mistakes were made. It was also about people making excuses. It was about the refusal to punish traitors as traitors should be punished.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:46 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I view the problem as twofold, it was a problem to believe one could own another as property. This problem was compounded by the refusal to admit it was a grave mistake. Everyone was diminished.

The other problem was the American Civil War itself, it was a serious mistake. This problem was further compounded by the refusal to admit it was a serious mistake. No one won, the only reason to celebrate is that it ended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is something about changing history. I was always told that I was born in the Lee Memorial Hospital in Norfolk, VA. I never lived in Norfolk other than the first few months of my life. However; if you now try to use Google to find where I was born it is not easy. Histories have changed to reflect current feelings - perhaps I am not a great researcher. Or, perhaps, I was hatched instead of born?

When I visited my grandparents in Norfolk when very young; I remember segregated restrooms on the ferry from the Delmarva Peninsula to the mainland. But our search engines have forgotten or now misdirect you. Does that mean it never happened and I have a poor memory?

I just think it is a bad idea to forget where we came from. I feel that we would be open to repeating our mistakes.
While I don't agree, I respect your thoughtviews although I wouldn't fight another American Civil War to defend yours or mine.

I think of these types of ideas more like this, if a bone is broken, the whole body is affected. Mend the broken bone, & allow healing to occur. The rest of the body also needs to be nurtured not just the broken part. Rest, good foods & drink, sleep, stay away from heavy activities for a time. The scars will always be there, but they too fade with time, particularly when the whole body returns to good health & normal activities.

Mourn the break & celebrate the healing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies