Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 04:39 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Free speech is free speech but not when you are on some else's time.
How does that pertain to someone being fired for attending a Pro Choice rally on their own time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 04:40 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So you wouldn't see a problem with an employee who works with children attending a meeting of NAMBLA?

Let's say someone who worked at a private school and who was hired as an
at will employee attended a NAMBLA demonstration calling for the age of consent to be lowered to eight (which is actually one of NAMBLA's aims) and calling for Jerry Sandusky to be released from prison.

You wouldn't fire that person?
If there was any suspicion that they were acting inappropriate around children or there were other reasons to believe they weren't a good employee.

I know what you're trying to do here. But I don't believe in incriminating based merely on curiosity of a viewpoint.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:40 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What makes you think we are a free society? We are a society governed by laws that protect your liberties but do not mean you have no consequence for using those liberties from your fellow citizens.

What you are asking for is for the government to intervene and force private citizens to accept viewpoints that they disagree with. Not at schools, or other government organizations but in private buildings, businesses, etc. Next will be forcing people to invite their racist neighbors to their BBQ "because free speech"
I'm definitely not asking for that. Read the title of the thread and read my original post. I'm posing a question for debate and obviously everyone has an opinion. I'm a more or less a libertarian so I think the government should have as little involvement in my day to day life as possible. I was just curious if people think someone should be fired for being in the location of this event without knowing any other facts like what the individuals beliefs even are.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No you have to create little strawman because your position is weak. People have been fired for criticizing islam or the black crime rate, but you bring up the KKK like a liberal.
He is not a liberal at all.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:42 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
............and you are" mischaracterizing BLM negatively".
No I'm not. Their website lists all kinds of communist demands.

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Sure, as long as I can fire the kids wearing Che shirts or carrying communist flags. Last thing I want is former commies meddling in our election.
As far as I know you can fire anyone you want...

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'm definitely not asking for that. Read the title of the thread and read my original post. I'm posing a question for debate and obviously everyone has an opinion. I'm a more or less a libertarian so I think the government should have as little involvement in my day to day life as possible. I was just curious if people think someone should be fired for being in the location of this event without knowing any other facts like what the individuals beliefs even are.
I believe in the law and the constitution. Neither of which, in right to work states, obligates private employers to keep on any employee that makes their companies look bad.

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
A tenant has a contract and has paid to live somewhere. S/he can be evicted under the terms of the contract. Most employees don't have contracts with their employers, and can be terminated for any reason, or no reason at all, as long as it's not based on race, sex, color, etc.

Government employees usually have more protections and with some exceptions, cannot be terminated for exercising their right to free speech.

In general, the First Amendment protects people from Government interference with their right to free speech. It doesn't protect a person for getting fired by a private employer for participating in a protest.

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
How does that pertain to someone being fired for attending a Pro Choice rally on their own time?
Read and comprehend.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:43 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hard to pretend it is about "pride" from behind a mask.
Tell that to every Occupy protester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies