Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:58 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
Me thinks you need to educate yourself on what the First Amendment actually entails before spouting off about the 'American way of life'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 02:59 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
That's up to their employer, who has every right to dismiss them.

I'm pretty sure 99.9% of businesses don't want to be associated with known white nationalists.
How come they don't fire people that attend BLM rallies advocating hate toward the other side and violence toward the police? How come they don't fire people that attend Occupy rallies. I guess most of those people don't have jobs but still!

Old 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
But the event wasn't a "white supremacist" or "racist" event. Yes, it attracted certain groups that have those viewpoints but that's not what the event was. But anything that the left doesn't like now is labeled racist (unless of course it's BLM, Occupy or whatever). How are you or any business owner going to determine what a person's political or personal views are just because their is a picture of them at the gathering. How can you even tell what side they are on? The guy that got fired wasn't dressed in Nazi regalia.

So I guess we get to a point where your political, personal and religious views should be part of your job application. Maybe you should take a polygraph test before getting a job offer so people can make sure you're not secretly racist in your heart.
Calm down. Certainly if it was *my* employee and a simple picture of him/her was presented, it wouldn't be an automatic firing. There'd have to be more evidence of being on the wrong side of that event.

If the person referenced was fired simply over just standing around, then yeah, that's not great. But it comes down to employers having the right to do that if they find your behavior objectionable. People are fired all the time now (or not hired) for how the represent themselves in social media. Drinking too much booze on your Facebook page? Not likely to be hired as an intern. We've heard that story. If a company found that demonstration and it's result offensive, you probably are going to get fired.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:03 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
How come they don't fire people that attend BLM rallies advocating hate toward the other side and violence toward the police? How come they don't fire people that attend Occupy rallies. I guess most of those people don't have jobs but still!
They might? You just don't really know. Here's two for you:

College Professor Fired After Appearance on Fox News

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/teacher...-lives-matter/

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Me thinks you need to educate yourself on what the First Amendment actually entails before spouting off about the 'American way of life'.
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

As far as I can tell the rally was a group of people that assembled to peaceably petition the government for a redress of grievances.

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times
the people have freedom of assembly and speech, but if they are employed in a right to work state I guess the employer can fire them for whatever reason. It may be that the fired employees have legal recourse.

but with action comes consequence either way.

I personally don't think anyone attending a rally or protest should be fired unless they were committing acts that required arrest etc; and then how many people have been fired for being arrested in this country (i don't know just wondering) I put the Constitution and Bill of Rights as more important than other issues. but a business may not see it the same way.

Bad thing is that Facebook or twitter or whichever went into the pictures and identified these individuals who were later fired. I think a good constitutional lawyer could make a case against FB/Twitter/whatever for violation of several rights.

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
I don't get how people say private individuals or employers should be able to stifle free expression and assembly as long as they are not the government. It's un-American and violates the spirit of free speech.

Should employers fire gun owners too, since they are not the government and are not infringing on gun owners by making them decide between exercising their 2nd amendment rights or employment?

What about the 4th amendment? Are private individuals or employers allowed to search you at will because they have some kind of suspicion?

What about amendment 9, the enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. Doesn't that suggest that people have rights beyond how and what they is framed in the Bill of Rights. Like for instance, to generally have a right to make a living and have free speech at the same time.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:07 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
And I guess some of the white supremacists who gathered in Cville are now among the group of people who don't have jobs - your attempt to paint solely the left as unemployed notwithstanding.

I would not work with a known white supremacist, and I think (certainly hope!) the majority of people feel that way. Employers are perfectly entitled to fire someone who would be a disruptive factor in the work environment and those hate-filled men who in some cases flew clear across the country to spew their vile rhetoric fall into that category.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:07 PM

221 posts, read 187,504 times
Everyone has a right to gather but there is no such thing as unconditional freedom in this country. If I saw one of my employees holding a torch in Va and behaving like a racist, I would fire him too. I don't want or need that kind of attitude in my business. Some bigot lost his job? A lot of people lost more than that. Cry me a river.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:08 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,845 times
Companies are not the government so the constitution does not apply to them. Say it. learn it, love it.

They can check your locker or desk at any time, go through your email, ask for a pee test, ask for you social media passwords, and fire you at any time it damn well pleases them.

Say it. learn it, love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies