Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't get how people say private individuals or employers should be able to stifle free expression and assembly as long as they are not the government. It's un-American and violates the spirit of free speech.

Should employers fire gun owners too, since they are not the government and are not infringing on gun owners by making them decide between exercising their 2nd amendment rights or employment?

What about the 4th amendment? Are private individuals or employers allowed to search you at will because they have some kind of suspicion?

What about amendment 9, the enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. Doesn't that suggest that people have rights beyond how and what they is framed in the Bill of Rights. Like for instance, to generally have a right to make a living and have free speech at the same time.
Legally speaking they can, thanks to the "at will doctrine" that is currently in effect in every US state, even California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:25 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
You have the right to free speech as long as it doesn't offend anyone else. Welcome to 2017 United States. Washington, Jefferson and Franklin would be so proud of what we've become
You have the right to your speech. Can you show me where they don't have this right?

Freedom to speech is NOT freedom from all consequences (unless it's the government). Or, for that matter, freedom from counter speech.

You're not really making a great case here. Or you just fundamentally misunderstand our Constitution.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:29 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
It's not a slippery slope. A business has the right to fire you if they want. In this case, I'm going to guess that they felt that the employee was not a good representation of their company.

You can have your 1st Amendment Rights...well, unless you file for and get a permit in Charlottesville and they violate your Constitutional Rights the day of the rally, and order the police captain to go out and tell you to disperse despite your legally obtained permit.....

NORMALLY, if you don't protest in Charlottesville with McAuliffe around, you have your 1st Amendment Rights, and being fired from a job is not violating that right. It's not violating anything.

I would never visit a restaurant in Berkeley, nor patronize Berkeley in anyway since they don't deserve my money, but I would like a list of all of the companies that do the firing of people who were simply there. Because some people had Nazi flags and were doing Nazi salutes does not mean that everyone there is a Nazi...not that the left cares for that line of reasoning unless it's pointed back at them. Further, we need to identify every single person who was carrying a Nazi flag and/or doing the Nazi salute to see exactly who they really are. Let the public know who they are if they're so dangerous. Were they all really from the right? No one ever asks questions, people just blindly accept what they are told.

Anyway, I want a list of all employers who fire anyone who was just there. Further, if a business fires one person from the right but does not fire another they employ who is part of antifa, I think it should be publicly known.

In the end, the business has the right to fire and hire and keep who they want. We the public have the choice to broadcast that out in public, loudly, and decide if we will spend our money there or use their service, or whatever the job entails.

That's free market.

That's how it's supposed to work.

That's not a bad thing.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:31 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And I guess some of the white supremacists who gathered in Cville are now among the group of people who don't have jobs - your attempt to paint solely the left as unemployed notwithstanding.

I would not work with a known white supremacist, and I think (certainly hope!) the majority of people feel that way. Employers are perfectly entitled to fire someone who would be a disruptive factor in the work environment and those hate-filled men who in some cases flew clear across the country to spew their vile rhetoric fall into that category.

I work with many far left people who openly talk negatively and about and mock our president and openly talk about how anyone that supports him is a bigot, racist, uneducated and live in the "fly over states" that don't matter anyway etc. That is disruptive to my job everyday just like someone openly discussing racist views, anti American views, anti police, personal religious views and about sexuality. But none of those people are getting fired and nor do I think they should because I'm an adult and understand I live in the greatest country on earth where everyone is free to have their own opinion whether I agree with it or not.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:32 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
I am a conservative and voted for Trump. I worked in healthcare for 20+ years and would not want to see someone with hatred against any race, gender, sexual orientation working in healthcare. Healthcare professionals need to give the best care for all people regardless.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, everyone has the right gather. These people gathered. Their rights were not violated. But if their viewpoints and their causes are repugnant to the businesses that they work for, the business can decide not to employ them. Free speech is here, you can say what you want without fear of going to jail or being shot by your government. But it has consequences. Free speech does not mean you don't suffer the consequences. Could be from friends, employers, your church, etc.

Honestly, white supremacy is not something I support. I think it's horrible. White supremacy is not a political viewpoint. It's believing you are better than any other "race" and wanting to put down other people because of their DNA. What normal/sane business wants an employee like that?
Actually, their rights WERE violated. They had a permit for their rally. The police did not let them in to the area where they were set up for their speakers, and then police Captain came and told them that they no longer get to have their rally. They had a legal right to be there, they followed all of the laws, they had their permit. It was not shut down because of their actions.

The city of Charlottesville violated their 1st Amendment Rights. Get it right before you lie on here.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:34 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
I work with many far left people who openly talk negatively and about and mock our president and openly talk about how anyone that supports him is a bigot, racist, uneducated and live in the "fly over states" that don't matter anyway etc. That is disruptive to my job everyday just like someone openly discussing racist views, anti American views, anti police, personal religious views and about sexuality. But none of those people are getting fired and nor do I think they should because I'm an adult and understand I live in the greatest country on earth where everyone is free to have their own opinion whether I agree with it or not.
Are you really comparing political views with white supremacy? Yes you are. Not even the same.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Can you toss out of your home or deny entry to someone you disagree with? Yes. A business is no different.
Its called property rights.
You can't just toss someone out of your home either if they established rights to be there such as a tenet. You just don't recognize employee rights or free speech rights. You just see private property wealth as supremacy, kind of like feudalism.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,529 times
No one stands up for people who lose their job everyday, but now I should feel sorry for racists losing theirs, hahahahaha.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Because HR departments are filled with people who have those views as well. Social justice warrior types who don't go into academia after they get their degrees go into HR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies