Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:08 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times

Advertisements

Gastanaga said the role of the ACLU is to ensure that the system works the same for everyone.

“We asked the city to adhere to the U.S. Constitution and ensure people’s safety at the protest. It failed to do so,” she wrote.

Gastanaga said that it is the responsibility of law enforcement to ensure safety of both protesters and counter-protesters. She went on to say that policing on Saturday was not effective in preventing violence.

“I was there and brought concerns directly to the secretary of public safety and the head of the Virginia State Police about the way that the barricades in the park limiting access by the arriving demonstrators and the lack of any physical separation of the protesters and counter-protesters on the street were contributing to the potential of violence,” said Gastanaga. “They did not respond. In fact, law enforcement was standing passively by, seeming to be waiting for violence to take place, so that they would have grounds to declare an emergency, declare an ‘unlawful assembly’ and clear the area.”

ACLU of Virginia said they hope that McAuliffe and other state and local officials will learn from last weekend’s deadly event.

“It is my firm hope and desire that the governor and other state and local officials will learn from this past weekend how constitutionally to prevent events like the horror we saw in Charlottesville from ever happening again,” Gastanaga wrote.

ACLU fires back at Gov. McAuliffe after comments on violence at Charlottesville rally | WTVR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 01:10 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
I guess if you defend everyone's free speech you're a Nazi.

I guess if Hitler ate lobster and if you eat lobster you're the same as Hitler.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
This is pretty sad that it is coming to this. People condemning the ACLU because it will not join in with their hate.

McAuliffe is a prime example of everything that is wrong in politics. He goes out of his way to try and keep people at each others throats in an attempt to solidify his power.

Do I think the police intended for there to be violence? No, I do not. Do I think McAuliffe would? I do. Is Trump egging it on? He is. The ACLU is not the problem here.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
The Left can't parse this one out either.

The ACLU fought for and won the right of the Unite the Right to take place. The ACLU is one of the Left's darling organizations from the past.

This is what happens when you have no principles, as is the case with the Left.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
So, A guy walks up to a pedestrian and cold c*cks him. Then he walks up to another and does the same. Finally the police arrive and arrest the man.
At his trial, he pleads not guilty. His defense is,

"your honor, yes I hit those guys. I have a lot of anger inside me but it's not my fault. It was the police's job to prevent me from doing what I did. I'm innocent of all charges. The police did not do their job and stop me"

Old 08-16-2017, 01:41 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Nudge my memory - who called the ACLU Nazi sympathizers? No one in the linked article.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:44 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The Left can't parse this one out either.

The ACLU fought for and won the right of the Unite the Right to take place. The ACLU is one of the Left's darling organizations from the past.

This is what happens when you have no principles, as is the case with the Left.

Their principle is that of free speech, for everyone.

The real majority in this country are the independents. And we're getting a little tired of the left and right extremists.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Nudge my memory - who called the ACLU Nazi sympathizers? No one in the linked article.
that's the point

Old 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Gastanaga said the role of the ACLU is to ensure that the system works the same for everyone.

“We asked the city to adhere to the U.S. Constitution and ensure people’s safety at the protest. It failed to do so,” she wrote.

Gastanaga said that it is the responsibility of law enforcement to ensure safety of both protesters and counter-protesters. She went on to say that policing on Saturday was not effective in preventing violence.

“I was there and brought concerns directly to the secretary of public safety and the head of the Virginia State Police about the way that the barricades in the park limiting access by the arriving demonstrators and the lack of any physical separation of the protesters and counter-protesters on the street were contributing to the potential of violence,” said Gastanaga. “They did not respond. In fact, law enforcement was standing passively by, seeming to be waiting for violence to take place, so that they would have grounds to declare an emergency, declare an ‘unlawful assembly’ and clear the area.”

ACLU of Virginia said they hope that McAuliffe and other state and local officials will learn from last weekend’s deadly event.

“It is my firm hope and desire that the governor and other state and local officials will learn from this past weekend how constitutionally to prevent events like the horror we saw in Charlottesville from ever happening again,” Gastanaga wrote.

ACLU fires back at Gov. McAuliffe after comments on violence at Charlottesville rally | WTVR.com
The ACLU defends the Constitutional rights of anyone who needs it. They defended Rush Limbaugh, if you recall. They are neither left nor right.

1A says everyone has the right to Free Speech, unimpeded by the government, which cannot legally prevent them from assembling and speaking. Feedback, positive or negative, is up to the members of their audience, who are not under the same constraints and cannot possibly violate 1A.

If they are assembling to incite violence (flying a flag with a swastika may come under this heading) is a different animal entirely, just like yelling "Fire!" in the proverbial theater.

Last edited by cuebald; 08-16-2017 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 03:41 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
that's the point
So the answer to the headline question is "No". Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies