Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
That said, Canada's 10 year Visa program has created a massive housing boom in Vancouver, notably. Good for older folks who want to sell, take their profit and retire, but not so good for young natural born Canadians who have effectively been squeezed out of the housing market, by way of a Visa program. Unintended consequences. No country has the perfect answer..
I agree with the merit system but did you have to flood the zone to squeeze the natives out of their homes? The so called "perfect answer" is to have some common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Haitians will truly go as far as they need to in order to make it.
What's after Canada?

Old 08-24-2017, 09:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Vancouver's housing boom is not because of incoming immigrants -- it's foreigners investing from overseas...hence the legislation to tax foreign real estate investors.

Also the mountains to the north, the water to the south/west....kind of restrict things...lol.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:07 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What's after Canada?
I'm sure they would head in the opposite direction if needs be. They are already all over the Caribbean and are now as far as Chile in South America.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:22 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
You may wish to brush up your knowledge of Canadian politicians. Pierre Trudeau is no longer Prime Minister, and hasn't been since 1984. Heck, he died some years ago.

You are, I assume, referring to Justin Trudeau, the current Canadian PM.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:57 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sounds like pierre is misleading them

http://twitter.com/CanadianPM/status...deau-1.4257696

"Regardless of who you are or where you come from, there’s always a place for you in Canada."
There is at least one wrong point in this post: Canada's Prime Minister is not Pierre Trudeau. It is Justin Trudeau. Pierre Trudeau has not been PM since 1984, and is currently dead, so he could not serve as PM anyway.

As for the rest, I'm among those who predicted this back when Mr. Trump signed the EOs banning people from certain countries (i.e. what the rest of the world called "Trump's Muslim ban" even if the US officially did not) back in January; and when Justin Trudeau made his now-infamous tweet in response. I know what Mr. Trudeau meant--he meant it in a general sense, that Canada welcomes immigrants and refugees, regardless of country of origin, religion, skin colour, and so on (unlike the appearance Mr. Trump gave for the US); but only as long as you pass our vetting process. The emphasis is important because what he did not mean was "No matter who you are, arrive here by any means and we will give you sanctuary without any vetting." Unfortunately, that's how many refugees--perfectly legal refugees, mind you, that the US had agreed to take in and harbour--understood it, and now they are entering Canada illegally by walking across the Canada-US border, thinking that they will be given sanctuary by simply walking across a surveyed line.

I agree with Mr. Trudeau's sentiment, but I disagree with how it has been interpreted by refugees. My own feeling is that, the refugees having crossed the border from the US, very few will be allowed to stay in Canada. The Third Country Agreement prevents this from happening, as it states (paraphrased) that "No person, arriving in Canada from the United States, can claim refugee status," and vice versa. Citizenship doesn't matter; if a Somali is accepted as a refugee in the US, he cannot go to Canada and claim refugee status again. In other words, the US is stuck with him. As a result, I'm sure that many of the illegal-border-crossing-refugees will be returned to the US under the Third Country Agreement; or perhaps deported to Haiti or their countries of citizenship. Probably not what they hoped would happen, but I think it is safe to say that as a result of that Tweet by Mr. Trudeau back in January, many were misled about how they would be treated by Canada.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 08-25-2017 at 12:13 AM..

Old 08-25-2017, 06:22 AM

283 posts, read 198,661 times
Canada will become the next Sweden.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:05 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Douglas Todd does not support that idea. Granted it is one man's case, though he seems to make a good one. Though a couple - only a couple, so I accept this is somewhat anecdotal - of Vancouverites point to the super visa program as contributing to the housing bubble problem in Vancouver.

Are you from Vancouver? All I can do is rely on various news reports, the Sun, reuters, abc and so, plus some thought as related to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Vancouver's housing boom is not because of incoming immigrants -- it's foreigners investing from overseas...hence the legislation to tax foreign real estate investors.

Also the mountains to the north, the water to the south/west....kind of restrict things...lol.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:10 AM

Picky, picky, picky. Probably my fault in the OP, but will not bother to look back. The point is politicians make ill-advised comments all of the time, no country gets it everything right. Finally, Canada will not be able to stop the flow north if this is the vanguard of an illegal relocation. A long border. Canada will have to rethink their policies. And, finding illegals is easier said then done. Better hope Canada's pols are not as waffly and weak as the U.S.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
There is at least one wrong point in this post: Canada's Prime Minister is not Pierre Trudeau. It is Justin Trudeau. Pierre Trudeau has not been PM since 1984, and is currently dead, so he could not serve as PM anyway.

As for the rest, I'm among those who predicted this back when Mr. Trump signed the EOs banning people from certain countries (i.e. what the rest of the world called "Trump's Muslim ban" even if the US officially did not) back in January; and when Justin Trudeau made his now-infamous tweet in response. I know what Mr. Trudeau meant--he meant it in a general sense, that Canada welcomes immigrants and refugees, regardless of country of origin, religion, skin colour, and so on (unlike the appearance Mr. Trump gave for the US); but only as long as you pass our vetting process. The emphasis is important because what he did not mean was "No matter who you are, arrive here by any means and we will give you sanctuary without any vetting." Unfortunately, that's how many refugees--perfectly legal refugees, mind you, that the US had agreed to take in and harbour--understood it, and now they are entering Canada illegally by walking across the Canada-US border, thinking that they will be given sanctuary by simply walking across a surveyed line.

I agree with Mr. Trudeau's sentiment, but I disagree with how it has been interpreted by refugees. My own feeling is that, the refugees having crossed the border from the US, very few will be allowed to stay in Canada. The Third Country Agreement prevents this from happening, as it states (paraphrased) that "No person, arriving in Canada from the United States, can claim refugee status," and vice versa. Citizenship doesn't matter; if a Somali is accepted as a refugee in the US, he cannot go to Canada and claim refugee status again. In other words, the US is stuck with him. As a result, I'm sure that many of the illegal-border-crossing-refugees will be returned to the US under the Third Country Agreement; or perhaps deported to Haiti or their countries of citizenship. Probably not what they hoped would happen, but I think it is safe to say that as a result of that Tweet by Mr. Trudeau back in January, many were misled about how they would be treated by Canada.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 AM

Like I said picky, picky, picky. So, you got your gratuitous jab in. The mistakenly first name is nothing more than a better known, more famous father creating a shadow for son. The subject is Canada and the changing landscape for her immigration stance and policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You may wish to brush up your knowledge of Canadian politicians. Pierre Trudeau is no longer Prime Minister, and hasn't been since 1984. Heck, he died some years ago.

You are, I assume, referring to Justin Trudeau, the current Canadian PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies