Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 02:41 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Chicago in 1910 was the most dangerous city in the world - and it was at that time 90 percent white.
Were whites not "civilized" yet?
In that city, the stats would indicate no.

Its all about the rate of violence and dysfunction per capita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 02:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
The number one statistic in regards to how much violent crime will be in a zip code is the percent of the population that is African American. It's actually a much stronger indicator than poverty is.
To use two Los Angeles Westside examples: you really think Ladera Heights (about two thirds black) has more violent crime than Venice (about two thirds white)?

Old 08-26-2017, 02:48 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Also the most dangerous metro in 1983: Was Odessa which at roughly 72% White, 21% Hispanic and 5% Black and 2% Other had a murder rate of 29.8 per 100,000 and was the murder capital for metropolitan areas in the U.S. The Oil industry had just crashed, and so the crime spiked when a bunch of hardworking predominantly white and muscular men got layed off leading to bar fight deaths. Imagine a city with 28 murders less than a 100,000 people and no gang war, which made the city more violent for a random or innocent person than most gang war cities. Take in mind it was more dangerous than Miami at the almost peak of the drug/ gang war when it had 29.7 murders per 100,000 people. So for that person who said it comes from not being civilized does that mean Whites in Alaska and Texas weren't civilized until the early 2000s late 90's when their numbers dipped below 10 murders per 100,000?

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/17/us...a.html?mcubz=0

Old 08-26-2017, 02:53 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,881,678 times
Poor neighborhoods, be they urban ghettos populated mainly by blacks, Indian reservations populated by Natives, trailer parks populated by whites, or barrios populated by Hispanics, are far more violent than middle class suburbs populated by any and all races.

Is this really obvious only to me? The Pine Ridge res In SD has an insane amount of violence, child deaths, suicide and domestic abuse. Poverty breeds malcontent; why do we never mention the Natives who, statistically, behave FAR worse than the blacks?

#classismnotracism

Old 08-26-2017, 02:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I made this thread for several reasons.

First, as you may or may not have noticed, I haven't posted in it since the original post. I've been reading along though. I wanted to see ....

2. Would anyone condemn the BLM founder for making this statement as it does no favors to the people she allegedly cares about?

So yes, I ran a psychological experiment on you folks.

And the results, for the most part, mirrored what I expected.
You have proven one thing - and one thing only.

Reasonable and Rational human beings don't sit around condemning people whom they know little or nothing about...based on news reports or anything else.

I thought this was covered in your Bible? Judge Not, lest you be judged? Cast the log out of thine own eye..and all of that?

You did satisfy our experiment- that of drawing a cartoon of the Right Wing Outrage Machines and parroting Homer Simpson yelling at his TV screen based on the "Outrage" du Jour.

Since virtually no (6%) of scientists ID as Republican it's safe to assume your "experiment" was/is completely devoid of science i.e. "fact".

Old 08-26-2017, 02:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Reasonable and Rational human beings don't sit around condemning people whom they know little or nothing about...based on news reports or anything else.

I thought this was covered in your Bible? Judge Not, lest you be judged? Cast the log out of thine own eye..and all of that?

You did satisfy our experiment- that of drawing a cartoon of the Right Wing Outrage Machines and parroting Homer Simpson yelling at his TV screen based on the "Outrage" du Jour.

Since virtually no (6%) of scientists ID as Republican it's safe to assume your "experiment" was/is completely devoid of science i.e. "fact".
1. Wow you're triggered.
2. I'm not a Christian
3. It was an informal observational study for my amusement. No need to call Mr. Wizard on me.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:58 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Stats condemn bad behavior, and most here pointed to stats. Stats are not biased. They result from choices groups of people make.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:01 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Poor neighborhoods, be they urban ghettos populated mainly by blacks, Indian reservations populated by Natives, trailer parks populated by whites, or barrios populated by Hispanics, are far more violent than middle class suburbs populated by any and all races.

Is this really obvious only to me? The Pine Ridge res In SD has an insane amount of violence, child deaths, suicide and domestic abuse. Poverty breeds malcontent; why do we never mention the Natives who, statistically, behave FAR worse than the blacks?

#classismnotracism
Yes, but oh just look at those inferior blacks in the ghetto and Indians on the reservation committing all the crime. the mindset of typical racists are quite known.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Is this really obvious only to me?

#classismnotracism
Anecdote - because surely I have had threats from my "homies' back in Philly where my family lived. However, I spent many years in the 1960's and early 1970's on public transit in some of the worst areas of the city. REALLY bad. I also hung out in Atlantic City....not known as exactly a safe place at the time.

A typical saturday when I was 14 might see me and a (white) friend...obviously not street-wise, taking the trains and bus into the city and going to arcades, stores with magic tricks and a pizza joint. I've often be accosted on train platforms with "gimme a nickel" - things were cheap back then. But no one ever touched us until......

One day about 8 of us - male and female (we were 16) were walking down the boardwalk in Atlantic City. Out from the shadows emerged about 10 BIG white dudes....probably 18-20 years of age and dead serious. They formed a line in front of us - they walking backwards until they had us somewhat corralled. I tell you - it was right out of West Side Story or similar!

Then they pounced. To their credit, they didn't beat on any of the girls. But they took my bro and beat his head into the iron railing (he lost some teeth) and tossed him over the rail. They got another guy and treated him similarly.

Me? I am perhaps the most "husky" of the bunch, but I took up like a rocket running north on the boardwalk with one or two of them in pursuit. The only part of me they touched was my T-Shirt. It is amazing what resources our bodies can dig up when being pursued in such a fashion.

So, in my mid-60's I can honestly say that the only true violence perped against me in my life was this group of white men (the police told me they might be "hopped up" whether on speed or whatever and just liked to beat on people when high).

Old 08-26-2017, 03:03 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
To use two Los Angeles Westside examples: you really think Ladera Heights (about two thirds black) has more violent crime than Venice (about two thirds white)?
Why do you think Venice has more violent crime than Ladera Heights? You're right. Just asking for a theory. I'm a transplant so familiar but wanted your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies