Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 03:06 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,092,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Chicago in 1910 was the most dangerous city in the world
Most dangerous city in the world in 1910?

LOL

The vast majority of the world and even most of Europe didn't keep detailed crime statistics in 1910. So there is no verifiable way to even back up your claim.

Is that why you have no link?

I'm sure it had a crime rate similar to places in the world with a massive flood of starving immigrants, organized crime, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 03:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Stats condemn bad behavior, and most here pointed to stats. Stats are not biased. They result from choices groups of people make.
Bob, I'm from Exit 5 to 7, so things can be different.

However, stats MUST be complete.

If you tell me the arrest rate of black folks for drugs without noting that "white priv" has kept most ALL my friends and family from EVER seeing the inside of a jail cell, then those stats are incomplete.

If you quote a stat about violent behavior (black or white) and don't tell me the IQ and education (or lack of) and family history of the people involved, you haven't told the whole story.

Example- Millions of poor people in this country have been poisoned by lead (paint). They lose brain function - add that to other factors...and is such a person prone to violent behavior? Of course!

As usual, I will add personal experience.

One of our good friends (couple) could not have children. These are the nicest people...very successful with all of the values you would probably hold dear. So they adopted a child who was 3 years old.

Said child turned out to have problems due to being poisoned (probably booze) in the womb. Despite 10 years of hard work, said parents were unable to even slightly tamp down the violent lashing out and behavior of this child - who finally ended up in state care due to physical danger to the parents and society.

These things are not exceptions. Every person has a story. I have enough of them just with people I know to imagine that - if you are inquisitive - you also will see that these things are complex.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:11 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Could you please list out the top income black communities in the USA and their crime rates? You seem so sure of yourself....."cannot be disputed".

I'm not claiming otherwise but I just looked up 3 of the top 10 and the crime maps show you to be wrong.

In any case, when you know the facts - facts are no longer of any importance.

Of course, after we know the "facts" we have to then look at the real world. When I was 18 I was busted for pot. I was thrown in jail with a poor black kid who was caught smoking a J in the alley. I was out a couple hours later and he stayed in.

Since you are an expert on "what is not in dispute" would you apply this great brain to educating us about the percentages of drug cases who are black vs. white who see jail and/or actual court or sentences?

Thanks!
Looking up said cities would only show outliers. We look at things as a whole in statistics. If you actually care to know the facts then I suggest you use that thing you're typing on.

We also don't debate positive statements in statistics. Now if you would like to debate as to the reasons of why this level of violence takes place in black communities, which are normative statements, I'm all ears.

If I were to take a guess as to the reasons for why disproportional violence takes place in black communities when compared to other races regardless of income or education levels, my first guess would be that it's mostly a cultural thing. I grew up in an all Hispanic barrio in South Texas, and while it wasn't perfect it was no more violent than a poor white neighborhood. I moved to a garbage neighborhood in Dallas when I was 19 and got my first taste of real Black Culture, not Hollywood Black Culture. I had never met so many violent, disrespectful, or irresponsible people in my entire life. I remember buying an extra lock for my apartment and listening to Sirens all night. The place just seemed to breed violence. The whole attitude of my hood was angry. Well, it took me less than six months to
Get a better paying job, meet some roomates, and get the hell out of there. That was the last time I ever put myself into a situation like that again other than a brief period when I was in college.

What I can tell you is that these areas are inherently violent, not these people. I can't tell you how many black men I've met that grew up in hoods like this that are the nicest people you'll ever meet. One thing I have noticed is even the ones that claim they did all kinds of crazy stuff when they lived in the hood seemed to break these habits the second they got out and weren't surrounded by mostly members of their own race. I think that says something.

So how do we fix this? I'm all ears, but I don't have the answers

Old 08-26-2017, 03:16 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,881,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes, but oh just look at those inferior blacks in the ghetto and Indians on the reservation committing all the crime. the mindset of typical racists are quite known.
That's why I claim classism; it makes sense to be "for" respectable folks and "against" lowlifes.
Even if I ignore stats and go by just personal experience, I have found disgusting behaviors to be more prevalant in poor 'hoods, be they black, white or Hispanic; can't vouch personally for the Natives as I haven't been on a res but if you research the stats are alarming and startling.

I can say the folks I have worked with (volunteer basis, outreach type program) in Miami's Liberty City (black) were equally as prone to violence and equally as disgusting as the white redneck slobs I saw in small town NC.
Why do poor folks keep their houses and yards like crap? One needn't have money to keep things neat and clean.

#poorpeoplearegross

Old 08-26-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Most dangerous city in the world in 1910?

I'm sure it had a crime rate similar to places in the world with a massive flood of starving immigrants, organized crime, etc...
Easy to fix stats. Just legalise crime. We've done it in many cases. How many people went to jail for the billions lost in the Great Recession?

Now tell me what happens if you rob a bank for a couple grand unarmed?

I clicked on some "bait" the other day which listed many of the worst places to live in PA - the crime rates were amazing high.
https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are...-pennsylvania/

Not exactly your urban slums.....I know quite a few of those places (family is from Hazelton, Reading, etc.)

Old 08-26-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
What I can tell you is that these areas are inherently violent, not these people. I can't tell you how many black men I've met that grew up in hoods like this that are the nicest people you'll ever meet. One thing I have noticed is even the ones that claim they did all kinds of crazy stuff when they lived in the hood seemed to break these habits the second they got out and weren't surrounded by mostly members of their own race. I think that says something.

It is being fixed - to a fairly large degree - by people you might call "activists". Education, housing, job opportunities (which come with the first two).

One thing which has been 100% proven NOT to fix it is to post on the interweb about the outrage of the day or about past stats.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:35 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconndoit View Post
But what most people fail to look at is the reason behind the stats.

Reason: People commit crime disproportionately in those hoods.

Solution: Avoid them.

Not sing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq28qCklEHc

Old 08-26-2017, 03:39 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I guess. I do know resentment is growing quickly.
The resentment is there. It is always there. In my opinion, more people are expressing that resentment, at least more so than the last 40 years.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:48 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Looking up said cities would only show outliers. We look at things as a whole in statistics. If you actually care to know the facts then I suggest you use that thing you're typing on.

We also don't debate positive statements in statistics. Now if you would like to debate as to the reasons of why this level of violence takes place in black communities, which are normative statements, I'm all ears.

If I were to take a guess as to the reasons for why disproportional violence takes place in black communities when compared to other races regardless of income or education levels, my first guess would be that it's mostly a cultural thing. I grew up in an all Hispanic barrio in South Texas, and while it wasn't perfect it was no more violent than a poor white neighborhood. I moved to a garbage neighborhood in Dallas when I was 19 and got my first taste of real Black Culture, not Hollywood Black Culture. I had never met so many violent, disrespectful, or irresponsible people in my entire life. I remember buying an extra lock for my apartment and listening to Sirens all night. The place just seemed to breed violence. The whole attitude of my hood was angry. Well, it took me less than six months to
Get a better paying job, meet some roomates, and get the hell out of there. That was the last time I ever put myself into a situation like that again other than a brief period when I was in college.

So basically, according to you ghetto life, being violent, and irresponsible is somehow the "real taste" of "black culture." That says it all why they believe what they do.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:49 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The resentment is there. It is always there. In my opinion, more people are expressing that resentment, at least more so than the last 40 years.
It was always there.

emphasis should be placed on that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies