Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
He hugged victims of Hurricane Harvey and comforted those with tears in their eyes. He prayed and posed for photos, at one point blaring his message of support into a bullhorn. And he donned durable blue gloves and cleared brush, working up a sweat as he dragged debris away from a damaged white mobile home.

Put another way, he did what many other presidents have done in the face of disaster. But the blue jeans-clad man who spent Thursday communing with victims of the 1-in-1,000-year flood event in Southeast Texas was Vice President Pence — not President Trump.

Not a fan of Pence but damn it did what Trump didn't do. Trump needs to watch and learn Pence.
On the other hand Pence better not outshine Trump or else.

‘Repetitive, not competitive’: Pence careful not to outshine Trump in Harvey role
Isn't that why Trump is going back tomorrow? To get some photo ops of him hugging people and attempting to look like he cares? Maybe he'll even pass out some Play Doh.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Exclamation UPDATE on FEMA Disaster Assistance and a new fund from Houston Realtors

I know this is the 3rd time I've posted this - but it's a very long thread and many folks don't read all the pages.

Time for another reminder on Disaster Relief - pass it on to friends, family in the areas of Texas that are impacted by Hurricane Harvey and the rains resulting from Harvey. They will help with everything from Shelter to Cash. Time is most important in these matters - make sure you have the paperwork necessary (mortgage papers, Identification, contact information, rental agreement, Utility bills will prove residence). For those that got out without any of the paperwork they will need - proof of residence is KEY - you can get that from your Utility companies and have it emailed or faxed.

FEMA - you need to get registered and get on the list as a Case # - "First In, First Out" is the way this works, so don't delay. They have already given out Millions of dollars. They will likely do Debit Cards (I helped with this during Katrina). You will need an address for them to send a card OR they may have a distribution spot.
FEMA emergency grants are for both Homeowners & Renters

https://www.disasterassistance.gov

Next one is new to me - it has a deadline of September 25.
Looks to be for both Homeowners & Renters - you need to show proof of who you are and evidence (photos) of the damage. I don't see the "rush" on this one, but sooner is always better. Photos will be crucial to show damage as well as ID proof & address proof. SurveyMonkey has been hired to host the forms needed.

Texas Association of Realtors - Relief Fund

The Texas Association of REALTORS® has set up a relief fund for persons who have suffered losses due to natural disasters in Texas. This application is for individuals who (i) have suffered damage to their property or (ii) have been displaced (either temporarily or permanently), as a result of the severe weather and flooding event which began August 25, 2017. Relief assistance is limited to a maximum of $1,000 per applicant, and is restricted to those within the jurisdiction of a participating local REALTOR® association and counties for which the governor has declared a state of disaster. To apply for assistance, complete this form in full and attach any required documentation. If you have any questions, you may call 800-873-9155 or email disasterrelief@texasrealtors.com.

Application deadline: September 25, 2017

Applicants who do not respond to each question and who do not provide the required supporting documentation will not be considered.

I would follow closely the Texas Government website also - they will have the most information about programs and available aid and assistance. Be Pro-Active.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:29 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
NOAA marked a low pressure area in Mexico has having a small chance of developing, and then later took it off.

I have been watching that area and it is still there and developed some overnight.

When I zoom it is evident there is a LLCC low level circulating center.

These do not aways develop.

If it does develop it is troubling.

I saw some pictures of a Houston house that developers like to build according to the article. It was single story, slab on grade.

No second floor means no expensive staircase and no expensive wood to span the rooms below. Concrete on grade is really cheap way to go.

I think too cheap. These homes sell for a fortune compared to building cost. I think it entirely possible to incorporate catchment tanks into the foundation. This would elevate the home or a section of the home 3-5 feet as well as store rainwater.

My Hawaii home had a 20,000 gallon catchment tank, which BTW was made in Texas. It was a giant bladder tank. Food grade in my case because we used it for drinking water.

If all buildings incorporated rain storage for the first 10-20 inches of rain hitting their roof and paved driveways Houston would have a lot fewer floods.

Besides lowering flooding, if Houstonites were required to store water on there property after a rainfall, they would help replensih the aquafer. All that stored water can be used to water the lawn and trees.

This would reduce the need to build larger and larger bayous.

Regarding McMansions, it is especially easy to build these high off the ground. Aren't they already multiple story?

It is perfectly fine to keep spare bedrooms, game rooms and entertaining space down low. This is also where the tuck under garage goes.

The main floor itself with all the high end cabinetry and kitchen would be on the second floor. Bedrooms on the third floor.

My Mpls home was like this with one difference. There also was a fourth floor for live-in staff. It was built 1904 and had been turned into an office building so I got it cheap. It had no heat or kitchen when I got it.

Last edited by pbmaise; 09-02-2017 at 01:41 AM..

Old 09-02-2017, 01:48 AM

Flood water management in Chicago near the Des Planes River forces all property owners to build large ponds to retain all the run off from their roofs and parking areas.

This business of paying some sort of fee to a third party to implement an offset really doesn't work.

But what about mosquitoes and dengue? Well let's go to Singapore shall we? On my last visit to Singapore there were signs the neighborhood I was visiting had ytd 350 cases of dengue.

If you know anything about Singapore they go nuts about standing water.
Therefore, despite all their efforts it is still a problem.

Mosquitoes can live anywhere it seems

Old 09-02-2017, 02:05 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
The nation’s cartoonists on the week in politics - POLITICO

Ain't that the truth?

Old 09-02-2017, 02:32 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Ain't that the truth?
No.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:17 AM

Texas has a $10 billion Rainy Day fund that they do not plan to tap.

What?

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/09...ed-harvey-aid/

Texas just finished a special session on property taxes and transgender choices, but according to Governor Abbott, "We won't need a special session for this."

He told reporters that the state has enough resources to "address the needs between now and the next session." (January 2019)

Good to know.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
No.
What's not true about it?

Old 09-02-2017, 03:37 AM

My models wind program is updated hourly.

The LLCC I have been concerned about has moved just off the coast of Mexico at Veracruz.

It is still rather a minor disturbance and will take days to develop, however if it does develop it may possibly be a danger to Texas.

The lastest model is out for Irma and there is still no agreement where it is going.

Some say across Florida and into the Gulf. Others say it will hit between Georgia and Virgina. Still other models say it will veer off altogether.

For first time in my season we have today a different LLCC forming in FSM where we expect formation. This is located far enough away and in right climate to be a Cat 5.

Other flooding on the news in Bangladesh and Pakistan make Houston look like a puddle.

We are talking hundreds of thousands of homes destroyed and at least 1400 dead.

Bangladesh News 24 hours - 13 hours ago
Monsoon flooding and landslides have affected an estimated 8 million and 1.7 million people in
Bangladesh and Nepal respectively. The secretary said the ...

As the world tuned in to the devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey in Texas, the death toll caused by some of the worst flooding South Asia has seen in years continues to climb.
Millions of people have been deprived of food, shelter and clean water for days as rising flood waters consume villages in the region.

Third of Bangladesh still underwater as flood devastation deepens

Old 09-02-2017, 03:49 AM

Food for thought from AP.

Actions in Houston very much sound the same as in India and Bangladesh.

“In most cities, lakes, ponds and even wide-open spaces acted as sponges to absorb excess rainfall. These have all disappeared from our cities and towns as water bodies are filled up and buildings come up in their place,” said Chandra Bhushan of the Centre for Science and Environment, an environment think-tank in New Delhi.

So you are in good company Houston not even India can stop development which increases their flooding.

See article at:. A singular storm in Houston; a recurring nightmare in Mumbai | National Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies