Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:18 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, it's clearly the fault of the "fakenews", who spend endless time warning this was a "worst ever" hurricane.

And when dozens die due to Trump's incompetence (he has yet to appoint a federal disaster director and most of FEMA positions are unfilled), it is your Trump cult duty to blame the deaths on the following: 1. Fakenews, 2. Muslims, 3. Foreigners, 4. Libturds, 5. Hillary, 6. Obama.
Trump's incompetence? He has taken all necessary steps for Federal assistance. What more can he do? As to your other comment, the Democrats have held up confirmation of his appointments. Quit watching CNN and MSNBC et al. You might learn something.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:21 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are depending on FEMA to save your ass good luck with that. An area I used to live in was flooded and FEMA was about useful as a boat with a giant hole in it. My particular favorite was all the trailers they brought in for emergency housing that required they be sited on land that was not in a flood zone. There must of been hundreds of them sitting in this old parking lot... unused because no one could use them.

Yes, and let's not absolve Obama and his lack of response to Katrina. These people seem to have forgotten that. But, everything is Trump's fault! Stupid asses!

Old 08-28-2017, 04:26 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The advice from the governor was for people to evacuate themselves.You don't need local leadership permission to get in your car and leave town. They chose to stay. It is as simple as that. I do not think it is even possible to evacuate everyone in a city the size of Houston. Here in South Florida we understand no one can evacuate everyone from here either, and they typically advice against a mass-exodus. You keep talking about city leadership as if they are in control of your life. They are not. You are in charge for your self, and your family.
I'm on the east coast in a vacation destination area, and the way our towns here handle it is they order mandatory evacuation for non-residents first, and then issue a mandatory evacuation order for residents if it looks really bad.

Return to the area is handled the same way, in stages.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:26 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I agree with this for the most part, the lack of preparation especially, maybe poor or just a complete lack of zoning may have made it worse, and this mayor sounds like a fool who should have had an evacuation plan prepared.

If you are still in florida, a major hurricane is coming to florida at some point and its going to be a disaster. Floridas pro growth government doesnt zone worth a **** either and florida has an enormous amount of people just packed right in near the coast.

I cant imagine the roads in Florida with a forced evacuation with the insane amount of growth , people need to think long and hard about what type of growth they want

This wasnt even a major hurricane

While you and I do not always agree on things, I have to agree with you on that. Mother Nature can humble us a lot of times and there is nothing we can do about it. Yesterday I drove home and at times went through 2 feet of standing water. I saw one car that was stranded in the middle of the intersection with water half way up it's doors........and this was no hurricane, just a tropical depression.

And here is the reality of the situation. We have to take some responsibility as citizens and not rely on our government to hold our hands on every little issue. Every year, our government tells us what we need to do to prepare for a potential hurricane, and every year, 99% of us (me included) do nothing. Then, when a storm is approaching, we go to Walmart and fight over the last loaf of bread and we drive all over looking for batteries and water.

So our government can have all the preparation plans and evacuation plans in the world, and they are still not going to work smoothly because of us not worrying about it until it is right on top of us.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:30 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm on the east coast in a vacation destination area, and the way our towns here handle it is they order mandatory evacuation for non-residents first, and then issue a mandatory evacuation order for residents if it looks really bad.

Return to the area is handled the same way, in stages.
Yes, for barrier islands, and some areas directly on the beach. The people evacuate few miles in-land, but there is no mass-exodus where millions of people get in their cars and on the roadways. That would create a very dangerous situation.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:33 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Miami is a city at sea level and Houston isn't....Miami floods after storms and it has canals but doesn't retain water like Houston has.
Miami received 17.5" ( 440 mm) rain in 1999 in the no name tropical storm of 1999 and 93,000 homes flooded. Triple that as Houston is getting and what do you think would happen?...A geometrical increase in calamity so 93,000 would balloon to maybe a million.

Hurricane Wilma caused 61 deaths in the Miami area in 2005.

My point is that, you can plan and lessen damage and destruction and really there's no excuse for loss of life from a hurricane (you know they're coming and their strength) any more. Or you could do what I did and leave the megastorm prone Gulf area and move to Washington state where you will be much less prone to calamity and high insurance.

Last edited by American Expat; 08-28-2017 at 05:41 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, for barrier islands, and some areas directly on the beach. The people evacuate few miles in-land, but there is no mass-exodus where millions of people get in their cars and on the roadways. That would create a very dangerous situation.
It's all relative. I have only two ways off my barrier sand bar (not technically an island because it connects to VA to the north, but there are no roads north and out of here from where I am). One is 5 miles south of me, the other is 20 miles south. And when that many people have to be evacuated, it's a nightmare. Stand still traffic for hours, all in low-lying easily flooded areas.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:43 AM

18,008 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Yes, and let's not absolve Obama and his lack of response to Katrina. These people seem to have forgotten that. But, everything is Trump's fault! Stupid asses!
You need some sleep. Push away the cell phone, hit the pillow for a few hours, let's get a couple cups of coffee in us, and we'll discuss this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Obama and Katrina?

What nonsense are you peddling now?

I suppose I'll need to provide a link that Bush was POTUS and "received widespread criticism for the federal government's failure to provide adequate emergency and medical aid to communities devastated by Katrina."

Sen. Chuck Grassley warns Donald Trump to avoid Bush Katrina 'mistake' - Business Insider

Speaking of Stupid *****!

Quote:
So, Obama handled Katrina poorly

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-28-2017 at 05:01 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 04:48 AM

We all have evacuation plans. Mine includes fueling my large SUV well in advance, loading only basic necessities (few days worth of water/food), important documents, change of clothes for a few days, emergency cash, and my two dogs into my SUV and driving as far inland as I have to. And I'm good with sleeping in my car for a few days until I travel far enough to find a place to stay.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:51 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Obama and Katrina?

What nonsense are you peddling now?

I suppose I'll need to provide a link that Bush was POTUS and "received widespread criticism for the federal government's failure to provide adequate emergency and medical aid to communities devastated by Katrina."

Sen. Chuck Grassley warns Donald Trump to avoid Bush Katrina 'mistake' - Business Insider

Speaking of Stupid *****!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies