Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 09:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We still call the D- med student - doctor!

lol
I thought a D was failing in most colleges in this country and a C was required to pass.

Anyways, my point was is we don't just let some guy whose never been to med school operate on people, while we do allow people with no education to provide things like food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 09:32 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Kamala Harris announces she will co-sponsor single-payer healthcare | TheHill

You know with her on it it's bound to be a disaster.
It will fail.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:36 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You are talking out both sides of your mouth, in one post, you say everyone's taxes should be the same dollar amount, while in this post, you advocate for a flat %, which will vary by a person's income and/or wealth. Which is it?��
I would like to see everyone pay the same tax amount. I think it's more feasible to charge everyone a 25% VAT tax on all consumer goods/services. That would be enough to fund Medicare for All.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
And luckier, as you have stayed healthy and uninjured.

This is simply progressive taxation. Ideologically I would not step any farther. I only support lower Federal taxes, but I am not the king.
I am sure s/he thinks the state of his/her health is all on him/her! You know, one of those people who blames the patient for their genes,sex, age, etc.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:22 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I would like to see everyone pay the same tax amount. I think it's more feasible to charge everyone a 25% VAT tax on all consumer goods/services. That would be enough to fund Medicare for All.
A 25% VAT tax would be a disaster for this country. People would lose their homes, businesses would be shuttered, depression would be just about guaranteed. I'm 'middle class' (at least my family income says I am), without health insurance, and I would rather die of an untreated disease than live to see a 25% VAT. I do have life insurance and my family would be just fine if I passed. Not so with a VAT.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
A 25% VAT tax would be a disaster for this country. People would lose their homes, businesses would be shuttered, depression would be just about guaranteed.
No, people will just reprioritize their spending. Europeans and Scandinavians have no problem with paying a VAT tax ON TOP OF income tax, etc. They have single-payer health care.

The money that Americans pay for health insurance premiums, etc., would just be shifted to pay the 25% VAT tax.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:53 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You are talking out both sides of your mouth, in one post, you say everyone's taxes should be the same dollar amount, while in this post, you advocate for a flat %, which will vary by a person's income and/or wealth. Which is it?��
You are incorrect. The poster did not make any reference to dollar amount. Instead, the reference was to a VAT, which taxes purchases, not incomes. It eliminates gaming the system with loopholes and deductions which only benefit the wealthy. If you want that BMW, it 's going to cost you more, tax-wise, than the welfare mom who buys a bus pass. Which is as it should be.

Frankly, I don't think a 25% VAT would be necessary, once we eliminated all of the inefficiencies and duplication and voluminous record-keeping in the current mishmash of private, public. corporate, employer-subsidized plans, etc., which serves no one's interest insurnace companies which already are bleeding us dry. The status quo is broken.

Show a little compassion, Firebird.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You are incorrect. The poster did not make any reference to dollar amount. Instead, the reference was to a VAT, which taxes purchases, not incomes. It eliminates gaming the system with loopholes and deductions which only benefit the wealthy. If you want that BMW, it 's going to cost you more, tax-wise, than the welfare mom who buys a bus pass. Which is as it should be.

Frankly, I don't think a 25% VAT would be necessary, once we eliminated all of the inefficiencies and duplication and voluminous record-keeping in the current mishmash of private, public. corporate, employer-subsidized plans, etc., which serves no one's interest insurnace companies which already are bleeding us dry. The status quo is broken.

Show a little compassion, Firebird.
Yep. And it also captures taxes from those who earn their income illicitly and therefore don't report to the IRS or pay any income or FICA tax: drug dealers, arms traffickers, smugglers of controlled goods (e.g., ivory tusks, endangered animal pelts, foreign nations' antiquities), money launderers, illegal betting operations, con artists, etc.

Oh, and those hedge fund managers so many like to complain about? If they want to live the high life... CHA CHING! That's a 25% VAT tax surcharge on your high-flying lifestyle, Hedgie.

If 25% ends up being too high, reduce the VAT tax rate as necessary.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:28 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, people will just reprioritize their spending. Europeans and Scandinavians have no problem with paying a VAT tax ON TOP OF income tax, etc. They have single-payer health care.

The money that Americans pay for health insurance premiums, etc., would just be shifted to pay the 25% VAT tax.
Reprioritizing spending assumes disposable income that a large percentage of Americans don't have. You can't repriotitize your mortgage without getting foreclosed on, for example. Not to mention that a VAT would act like an across the board nationwide wage cut; because a significant percentage of Americans have their health insurance highly subsidized by their employers (mostly large companies). So to summarize:

1. Those that can't afford the VAT would have their homes foreclosed, their cars repoed, their utilities shut off, etc...
2. This would create a cascading avalanche of defaults, throwing our economy into depression.
3. Wages would be pressed even further down.
4. Even more power and money would be consolidated into the hands of the mega corporations.
5. Crime would go through the roof, costing even more resources.

I would rather die than see this happen to our country.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:36 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,449,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
California democrat.

have to laugh.

healthcare is not a right.
Then whyin the hell did my mother have to drag me down to the postoffice at the age of 16 to register me for the draft? i am an American citizen. That comes with certain obligations such as an obligation to defend my country if called upon. I expect something in return.

Universal healthcare id one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies