Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times

Advertisements

I'm normally rabidly against looting... but in this case they should let the people fill up their cars at that station for free. Then boycott the owner after things get back to normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What about the person who would be willing to pay more, but DOESN'T FREAKING HAVE IT?!?!?
If you can't afford it you're not getting very far anyway, and you're likely to stay put or try getting out some other way.

And again - if the guy selling the gas doesn't feel it's worth it to go into work instead of leaving town or dealing with his own mess - the gas station isn't open anyway.

On the same front if you're talking about generators - at $400 a generator, the same price it was weeks before, there are people who will buy a generator they don't need to sell for $1,200. At $700, this is far less likely to occur.

This concept seems to be too complex for you to understand. You keep ignoring facts and circling round the same laps we've already done.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you can't afford it you're not getting very far anyway, and you're likely to stay put or try getting out some other way.

And again - if the guy selling the gas doesn't feel it's worth it to go into work instead of leaving town or dealing with his own mess - the gas station isn't open anyway.

On the same front if you're talking about generators - at $400 a generator, the same price it was weeks before, there are people who will buy a generator they don't need to sell for $1,200. At $700, this is far less likely to occur.

This concept seems to be too complex for you to understand. You keep ignoring facts and circling round the same laps we've already done.
It's not too complex, it's just we disagree, I think it is immoral to jack up the price, while you think it's perfectly fine, and I will NEVER agree with that, over my dead body

Old 09-05-2017, 08:23 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
It's not too complex, it's just we disagree, I think it is immoral to jack up the price, while you think it's perfectly fine, and I will NEVER agree with that, over my dead body
I think it's immoral not to let price rise so that all of us can suffer and die.

Do you agree that you are now a science denier?

Old 09-05-2017, 08:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I think it's immoral not to let price rise so that all of us can suffer and die.

I am a price going opponent, I'd rather die than pay way more than normal price for something

Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
What about the person who would be willing to pay more, but DOESN'T FREAKING HAVE IT?!?!?
The person can pay later. That's what credit card for and that's how the hospitals are doing it.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, it's you that keep ignoring FACTS and spouting your THEORY.

Please demonstrate with facts not theory how anti-gouging laws have caused harm to the victims of Harvey.

Please show us examples of how countries without such laws have handled similar disasters more efficiently.

You can pontificate your theories that gas station owners will not open their stations if they can't make obscene profits but you can't cite any example of this actually happening. Those who evacuated did so out of concern for their safety not because there wasn't enough profit to stay.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Who died because of anti-gouging laws? Cite one example in this disaster. You're all theory, zero fact.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Because you are advocating prices that MOST can not pay, where the person who CAN pay might not even need the good.

It's like when gas went to $5/gallon back in the summer of 2008. The working poor were hit hardest by that since they have to commute long distances to their jobs, it made it unviable to keep working for some, where it was going to take like 40% of their weekly pay to cover the gas for their commute.

Yet I kept hearing babble like supply and demand ensures the people who NEED the good most can get it, hogwash, the person with the biggest bank account can get it.

Price gouging is akin to social darwinism
If most cannot pay, the price would inevitably fall!

Given this is a temporary thing, the seller must move their products quickly before the rest of the country deliver their goods and destroy their temporary high prices.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Who died because of anti-gouging laws? Cite one example in this disaster. You're all theory, zero fact.
Do you have any fact?

I am suffering right now because there's a gas shortage in town.
Does supply shortage not cause suffering and death?

Give me one example that price control doesn't cause shortages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies