Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 03:20 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,114,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
9/11 commemorations have become more and more low key than ever.

No longer is that sense of unity and patriotism present. There was an article a few days ago discussing that this was one of the first generations of military recruits that have no recollection of 9/11.

I'm afraid if you asked random people on the street what happened on 9/11, many would be clueless. I think more people would know that Pearl Harbor attack happened on December 7 than the WTC attacks.

Such is the internet short attention span society we live in
I think the weight of 9/11 remembrance is just not very powerful.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but seeing someone talk about their love of this country and freedom and all that just doesn't get much of a response out of me when every other day of the year, they're saying "**** liberals" or Republican or Democrats or whoever it is they hate.

The way I see it; the terrorists have already won. We are now a culture of fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 03:55 PM

89,035 posts, read 85,608,542 times
Quote:

No longer is that sense of unity and patriotism present. There was an article a few days ago discussing that this was one of the first generations of military recruits that have no recollection of 9/11.

I'm afraid if you asked random people on the street what happened on 9/11, many would be clueless. I think more people would know that Pearl Harbor attack happened on December 7 than the WTC attacks.

Such is the internet short attention span society we live in
Those of us who were there remember. We have no choice. It is there in some way, every day. By late August the mental replays begin more frequently and intensely.

September 12 is the best day of the year.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:57 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,618,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not as lucky as you are. That's for damn sure.

What have you done to show your appreciation except for arguing with patriots like myself? And I mean something more substantial than your Cub Scout stint.
I would venture to say equally as "lucky" .
Also, the insulting tone of your question doesn't further your goal of garnering respect due to your service. It also doesn't diminish any truth in that poster's comment.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:

No longer is that sense of unity and patriotism present. There was an article a few days ago discussing that this was one of the first generations of military recruits that have no recollection of 9/11...

...Such is the internet short attention span society we live in
I hate to admit this, but it soes seem true.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:38 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,915,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The bad-thing is that younger people have no recollection of an American before the Department of Homeland Security.
I do.

DHS was the Cabinet-level department created by "W" that peeses away a whole heck of a lot more money than what would have been spent "just" fixing the two departments ( FBI & CIA ) who completely ignored ( not missed ) the whole bunch of Middle Eastern guys wanting to learn to fly airliners, but not learn how to land or take off ... thing.

Since the FBI & CIA were never fixed, I have to assume they are still broken.

DHS will someday also have their ( whole bunch ) moment. Once the head of the department said: ( after a man attempted to blow up a commercial airplane with a bomb in his underwear ) "The system worked".

As stupid as this was, she was right, in a way. Even as Sept 11, 2001 was unfolding, a plane full of Americans took matter into their own hands and prevented a fourth plane from plowing into a building.

I said "a plane full of Americans" deliberately. Maybe a plane full of Aussies would have also prevented a building collision, but full of any other group? Heh.

Yeah, .... try to hijack another US plane .... As far as I'm concerned, they can get rid of ALL the security bullcrape. It's redundant and stupid. You want to to bring a gun on? I don't care. You want me to take off my shoes? Bite me.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:59 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,339,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I would venture to say equally as "lucky" .
Also, the insulting tone of your question doesn't further your goal of garnering respect due to your service. It also doesn't diminish any truth in that poster's comment.
I don't want your respect. I'd rather have your contempt.

And no...he and I AREN'T equally lucky to be here. Not even close. If I felt that way, I would've "ventured" to say so myself.

Anyway...moving on.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I don't want your respect. I'd rather have your contempt.

And no...he and I AREN'T equally lucky to be here. Not even close. If I felt that way, I would've "ventured" to say so myself.

Anyway...moving on.
My apologies, but I'm not contemptuous towards your posts. It certainly seemed as if you were attempting to add value to your opinion with mention of your service. I've known many that do that, and pog or not, I admit it does just that in my own perspective. I served with many in my time that I disagreed with, but still respected to varying degrees.

What is it that makes him "luckier" to be a US citizen?

Old 09-15-2017, 04:24 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,339,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
My apologies, but I'm not contemptuous towards your posts. It certainly seemed as if you were attempting to add value to your opinion with mention of your service. I've known many that do that, and pog or not, I admit it does just that in my own perspective. I served with many in my time that I disagreed with, but still respected to varying degrees.

What is it that makes him "luckier" to be a US citizen?
He knows. Let's just leave it at that.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
He knows. Let's just leave it at that.
Fair enough.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,742,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We will never forget who caused 9/11 and the lives lost on and after 9/12 that were all related to 9/11!

Many first responders got very sick due to their heroic and brave work on 9/11, and died later!

Freedom has and will never be the same as prior to 9/11!
We LOST our freedoms on 9-11. We can no longer board a plane or enter a public place without being harassed by security thugs. I'm glad that I got to live at least part of my life prior to 9-11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies