Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Advertisements

Spainal Tap - The Devil's Dumplings.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-13-2017 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I remember the 80s Satanic cult panic very well. In my area it was chiefly a Catholic phenomenon.

I went to a High Presbyterian Church (USA) and we had an after-school Dungeons & Dragons club. You may remember that D&D was at the center of a lot of the Satan controversies at the time.

Anyway, I was at said club and had my manuals out in front of me as we were playing the game when the Reverend came in to say hello. I don't think he knew anything about D&D, so he picked up on of my manuals and started flipping through it. He came to the picture below, and I remember like it was yesterday, he put the book down open to the image below and said, "Wow, take a look at that! Have fun!" while resting his finger right on the page.

Quite the opposite of the typical, expected church official reaction :-)

Old 09-13-2017, 01:09 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,228,506 times
It wasn't about Satanism. The "panic" started with many real accusations made by hundreds of children of widespread organized child molestation. The "Satanic" aspect was pushed to delegitimize it and make it sound like fairy tales.

It was real. They successfully brushed it under the rug.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:33 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,734,817 times
I remember it well. Some preacher guy had the nerve to come around and tell us kids to destroy all of our rock albums because they were "the devil's works". I had quite the collection of KISS, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc. I remember he tried to make the consequences of keeping that stuff sound as scary as possible.

No way was I going to throw those out so I told the preacher guy he could go f*** himself. He didn't seem to like that too much. Needless to say I still had my collection well into my college years.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Spainal Tap - The Devil's Dumplings.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:55 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Nigel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Martin: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel: Exactly.

Martin: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Martin: I don't know.

Nigel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Martin: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel: Elevn. Exactly. One louder.

Martin: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
[Pause.]

Nigel: These go to eleven.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:35 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I remember it well. Some preacher guy had the nerve to come around and tell us kids to destroy all of our rock albums because they were "the devil's works". I had quite the collection of KISS, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc. I remember he tried to make the consequences of keeping that stuff sound as scary as possible.

No way was I going to throw those out so I told the preacher guy he could go f*** himself. He didn't seem to like that too much. Needless to say I still had my collection well into my college years.
KISS, Knights In Satan's Service was the common belief

Old 09-13-2017, 05:05 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You may remember that D&D was at the center of a lot of the Satan controversies at the time.
I just read an article about that in the latest issue of Horrorville and it set me off, hence the thread. I'm not a role player myself, but I have several friends who were very into it as teenagers.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I remember it well. Some preacher guy had the nerve to come around and tell us kids to destroy all of our rock albums because they were "the devil's works". I had quite the collection of KISS, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc.
I still do, and that sort of reaction isn't something I ever had to deal with as a kid in Australia, even with Christian parents. Is it a uniquely American phenomenon?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
KISS, Knights In Satan's Service was the common belief
How common though? I've seen Youtube clips about that and I thought it only gained currency around 82-83 (Creatures Of The Night era) when KISS needed all the publicity they could get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies