Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That's the food of their ancestors. I'll admit the cotton swabs is a little extra but I don't see an issue with the food. If he served tomato and mozzarella salad they would have hated it too.
The deal is, it doesn't make any difference if you have an issue with the food or not. The students had an issue with it.

If everyone is milling around cocktail party style without any chairs or tables, why not finger food?

Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,740 times
With such a fixation on the Civil War and slavery everyone is going to have to think twice.

At any other time that piece of decor would have gone unnoticed. Now everything is being connected to "slavery" one way or another. Since the Civil War has been over for 152 years it's hard for people to remember their grade school history and what items in America that people associate with slavery.

I do feel sorry for the Professor though as I'm sure upsetting them with his (or his wife's) choice of decor was not done on purpose to stir up racist hatred.

Are grits going to disappear ? Watermelon ? White cotton sheets ? We've gone beyond the flag, statues, books, movies.
What else will trigger feelings of Civil War era slavery ?

Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
There was a well-written editorial column on the CNN website a couple of days ago, in which the writer discussed the prevalence of sexual harassment in the movie industry, and one sentence in particular jumped out at me: "I don't need to grow a thicker skin; you need to develop a conscience." I think it applies beautifully in this situation.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-20-2017 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 10:05 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
With such a fixation on the Civil War and slavery everyone is going to have to think twice.
Thank the Democrat propaganda tool, the MEDIA for the fixation on a long ended war, and a long ended institution of slavery. This is purely to stir up controversy, get attention (ratings), and DIVIDE US. It is criminal. They are succeeding.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:09 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There was a well-written editorial column on the CNN website a couple of days ago, in which the writed discussed the prevalence of sexual harassment in the movie industry, and one sentence in particular jumped out at me: "I don't need to grow a thicker skin; you need to develop a conscience." I think it applies beautifully in this situation.
Exactly.

Where has he been hiding that he wouldn't know this would be offensive?

Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There was a well-written editorial column on the CNN website a couple of days ago, in which the writed discussed the prevalence of sexual harassment in the movie industry, and one sentence in particular jumped out at me: "I don't need to grow a thicker skin; you need to develop a conscience." I think it applies beautifully in this situation.
So that professor should have seen "racist against Black slaves of the Civil War" when he saw that piece of decor ?

This is truly PC gone 1000% amuck. You cannot expect people to question everything they buy with "Will this upset Black people".

Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exactly.

Where has he been hiding that he wouldn't know this would be offensive?
The university president may have unwittingly waded into a racial issue, but it was the way he initially handled students' concerns about the centerpieces that really lit the issue on fire.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
You cannot expect people to question everything they buy with "Will this upset Black people".

But they should if they're setting the table for a bunch of invited black guests.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
So that professor should have seen "racist against Black slaves of the Civil War" when he saw that piece of decor ?

This is truly PC gone 1000% amuck. You cannot expect people to question everything they buy with "Will this upset Black people".
He was startingly oblivious, which could be forgiven, but he initially brushed off the students' concerns as irrelevant. That's what set the students off, and I get it.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
First will note, look at my other post. I don't believe these people were racist at all but on the bold above, I'll note that white people should think that black people like whatever food they like.

I'm black. I like Italian food, I like pot pies, I like all sorts of Asian cuisine, I LOVE me some Mediterranean cuisine, I especially love Middle Eastern food. I also like mac and cheese and collard green lol.

As I stated earlier, on the food/decor, I think they overthought it. They could have served chips and sandwiches. I don't think about what "white people" like to eat when I have thrown events for a majority or all white group. I don't think about what "black people" like to eat when I throw events for them either. I think about what is good to eat, what the reason for the event is, what the time period is for the event, etc.

I think they were too much focused on the students being "black" and overlooked the fact that they are just regular students who eat all sorts of food. Same as they did with the Latino students.

But again, the issue for the students was that they did not get to ask any questions. They also had to hear about the life story of the president, his wife, and how the person who the college is named after was "good to slaves." If they went to an event intending it to be a Q/A sessions, they would be disappointed that it wasn't and then to boot they endured a stereotypical meal. It was like they were seen as foreigners in their own school and country.

Again, I've had to endure similar meals before. I always think it is both funny and sad that some whites don't get that black people don't always have to eat soul food lol or that we need to hear them talk about slavery all the time. It is condescending and I'll admit, even though its funny, it makes me sigh and shake my head.
Context is everything. The guy may not have been intentionally cruel, but he sure was stupid. I love to cook, and I love all kinds of food (the meal they served sounds delicious to me), but I have never planned a menu around the race or ethnicity of the friends who would be eating it. Do people really do that, I mean, like, often?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies